Wireless set-ups for the QED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the reading I am doing all over the place it is not how good the wireless kit is, but how much it interferes with the QED. The Z-Link seems to be working great but pricey, others seem to interfere with the audio quite a bit.

Almost everything has said that the Nokia speaker and hard-wired (even el-cheapo) earbuds direct into the QED it works perfectly. But some volume control is lacking.

Issues seem to arise when wireless bluetooth units have been used.

Would be interested to hear how you go rockdev if you do get a Quest kit.

Finally got round to testing the Deteknix wire free system early this morning and I am happy to report that it was quite good. With the transmitter mounted on the stem between the electronics box and the handle with the supplied rubber band, there was no noticeable interference. Volume was wound up to full with THS-A set at 60 giving plenty of boogy through the Bose N/C earbuds. No lag and good all round sound, very similar to the Garrett Z Lynk system. Happy to recommend this set up.

Thanks Reg for the update sounds like a winner mate :Y: Now on further searching for the Deteknix unit it looks like the Quest WireFree System is the same unit only selling under its new Company name Quest. If that is the case it should be a good match for the QED. :pickshovel:

Northeast said:
Would be interested to hear how you go rockdev if you do get a Quest kit.

Yes Northeast looks like a good combo, will see how I go...to go wired or wireless.mmm

i had the quest phones ages ago to much interferance , and pulsing so got rid of them not compatable with the qed sorry fellas. now just use the standard nokia speaker and a set of garret head phones with volume control on each ear, i hope you didnt waiste your money i just noticed this post as been having nbn problems, i would have responded earlier. best of luck :Y:

Thanks Grumpygold , I haven't purchased anything yet just looking at options first... I got to thank Northeast for starting this thread, its good to hear what people have tried and what works and what doesn't.

I will post a photo of the rx/tx unit I was looking at, they don't actually have phones with them you use your own.

1548208749_quest.resized.jpg

Rockdev, that is the same unit I have just tested and is fine on the QED.
Grumpy gold, no pulsing, interference, or lag. Seems to work as well as the Z Lynk but is much cheaper.

Reg Wilson said:
Grumpy gold, no pulsing, interference, or lag. Seems to work as well as the Z Lynk but is much cheaper.

Thanks Reg, it works on 2.4ghz transmission instead of Bluetooth like most wireless headphones do. That may be the key as the Garret Z Lynk uses a similar protocol and no Bluetooth either.

rockdev said:
Thanks Grumpygold , I haven't purchased anything yet just looking at options first... I got to thank Northeast for starting this thread, its good to hear what people have tried and what works and what doesn't.

I will post a photo of the rx/tx unit I was looking at, they don't actually have phones with them you use your own.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11578/1548208749_quest.resized.jpg
i have a tx/ rx unit very similar with no issues, the key is nothing under bluetooth 4. il see if i can find a link to mine and post up later tonight :Y:

Reg Wilson said:
hi reg mine were the detetnix ones, the Q20 from memory nenad was selling them dont know if he still does, found alot cheaper combo thats works way better, the key is nothing under bluetooth 4, thats what ive found anyway, bt3 pulsing bt2 constant weird annoying background squeel, lots written about them in earlier posts. :)

grumpy gold, yes mate tried a bluetooth setup a while back that gave the same problems as you describe. The guy that sold it to me said it was the latest and greatest. Yeah, right. He got it back, and I got a refund.

rockdev said:
Thanks Reg for the update sounds like a winner mate :Y: Now on further searching for the Deteknix unit it looks like the Quest WireFree System is the same unit only selling under its new Company name Quest. If that is the case it should be a good match for the QED. :pickshovel:

The original Deteknix system was this one:

1548244752_wirefree.jpg

The new Quest version is as you posted earlier.
Improvements are:

- Longer run time, up to 24 hrs, compared to approx. 7 hours on the original
- Integrated belt clip on the receiver
- Counter sunk 1/4" socket on the receiver (no cables)
- Plug in cable on the transmitter, allowing you to have 1/4", 1/8" or Garrett AT plugs (different plug cables sold separately)

Both versions operate on the same 2.4 GHz system.

One tip with the WireFree kit: you get good volume out of 16 Ohm headphones or earbuds (note: on other detectors, have not tried with the QED)

grumpygold said:
Reg Wilson said:
hi reg mine were the detetnix ones, the Q20 from memory nenad was selling them dont know if he still does, found alot cheaper combo thats works way better, the key is nothing under bluetooth 4, thats what ive found anyway, bt3 pulsing bt2 constant weird annoying background squeel, lots written about them in earlier posts. :)

Most of the Bluetooth wireless units I tried were sold as BT 4.0 or higher & still had pulsing issues &/or low volume. Some of them I tried with other detectors worked fine. Only one unit was under version BT 4.0 (Avantree Saturn Pro which are BT 3.0) & even they worked well on other detectors being APTX Low Latency.

Wireless set ups with the QED are hit & miss at best.

So far it seems user tried & acceptable set ups would be:
Seinheisser RS-160 (headphones only) Kleer wireless
Garrett Z Lynk
Quest WireFree Mate wireless kit
None of which use Bluetooth of any version.
I'd be sticking to one of these user proven units for the QED rather than getting on the Bluetooth merry-go-round. May save you money in the long run by investing a bit more in quality initially. The Quest set up certainly looks to be value for money. :Y:

Thanks guys for your input looks like we have a couple of good choices. It's good to see a thread like this for the QED top stuff :Y:

cheers

mbasko said:
Garrett Z Lynk
I'd be sticking to one of these user proven units for the QED rather than getting on the Bluetooth merry-go-round. May save you money in the long run by investing a bit more in quality initially. The Quest set up certainly looks to be value for money. :Y:

Yes I will be doing the same mbasko. I have purchased so many things over the years only to have to re buy again when the others don't work as they should.

Will be contacting Nenad over the next couple of weeks to grab a set, will also make the xterra-705 that the wife uses more user friendly :Y:

cheers

rockdev said:
mbasko said:
Garrett Z Lynk

Yes I will be doing the same mbasko. I have purchased so many things over the years only to have to re buy again when the others don't work as they should.

Will be contacting Nenad over the next couple of weeks to grab a set, will also make the xterra-705 that the wife uses more user friendly :Y:

cheers

You can say that again Rockdev.

Unfortunately the XVIVE wireless guitar Wi-Fi system I tried didn't work. I even got some custom adapter leads made up from SteelPhase (and some great advice too) but it didn't work. Sound would come through but it was pulsing terribly and simply could not get anywhere near a smooth threshold.

Reg did warn me that it was a gamble but I had to be stubborn and try it :p

So I have a wonderful new XVIVE wireless guitar system that apparently works perfectly for guitars if anyone wants them. As per the link above in my last post they also apparently work perfectly on the GPX series. They are normally $200, I waited for some time for them to come on the spesh and got them for $170. They have been used for about 5 minutes, recharged and packed away. $165 including postage with tracking and anyone can have them.

For whatever reason I thought the Deteknix kit was Bluetooth and not Wi-Fi and I was trying to stay away from Bluetooth. It wasn't until after I had ordered the XVIVE and I was looking at PhaseTech's website for coils and had a quick squiz at the updated Quest version and realised they are actually Wi-Fi. And they are only $140. And Reg has tested them on the QED and they work. And they are plug and play with no extra leads/cables. And they have volume control. DOH!! :awful:

So it looks like there will be a Quest kit in with the coil order :|

Or gee that's a bugger mate, I still haven't got around to getting one of the quest setup's as yet but they seem to be a good option for the QED. Someone should snap up your XVIVE system mate as it looks like a quality bit of gear, bloody shame it interfered with the QED.

Latest posts