today i went fishing and caught

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it wasn't me or today but my son Charlie on Friday night landed his first Cod from the Cudgegong river while we were visiting my brother, the fish was released :Y: he's on a winning streak the young fella.
1538303047_img_20180930_195058.jpg

And here it is on the brag mat :Y:.
1538303094_img_20180930_195216.jpg

Nice catch Charlie.Congratulations.I have been fishing for a long time and haven't caught a cod like that.Good to see a young fella who knows how to hold a fish properly as well.See too many people hanging them by the lips and damaging the gills and wondering why it won't swim away.Well done on releasing as well. :Y: :Y:

Eldorado said:
Nice catch Charlie.Congratulations.I have been fishing for a long time and haven't caught a cod like that.Good to see a young fella who knows how to hold a fish properly as well.See too many people hanging them by the lips and damaging the gills and wondering why it won't swim away.Well done on releasing as well. :Y: :Y:

And supporting it's belly :Y: :Y:

Freshwater catfish are pretty good battered and friend, at least the ones I catch back home in the states. Saltwater cats are great to eat, we don't have them in California where I'm from but I know they like them in Texas. The saltwater catfish we get here in the UAE are pretty good, they release their bowels when you get them on deck usually and that part isn't very appealing but do good on the smoker or fried.

I'm curious if the ones in Aus can be much different. My grandparents never liked eating them in California in the past but after visiting the south a couple times and having it there they found out they were pretty good eating.

I somehow completely missed this thread. It must have been during one of my periodic absences from the forum. Anywho... my lovely lady bought me a kayak to start fishing again. I have only been out a few time and have mostly just enjoyed exploring the local rivers and creeks.
This is my topic on beginning to use a kayak to hunt for Bass with lures. Had a great start but really haven't been out as often as I would like. Shift work and weather play a part in my not getting out.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28330

Dave79 said:
Cool picture skip. Squid are really interesting creatures. .....and tasty.

Yeah they are super inquisitive. I love watching doco's on them.
Regards the pic , I stuck the go-pro underwater as I reeled him passed the boat. Turned out a cool shot!

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
Now went to a wonderful place on Sunday, Lake Lyall, found a spot and began to rig up.
We used ice jigs for the first time , they were deadly on redfin, redfin are a pest species in NSW , told the kids swimming back at the boat ramp, its ok to swim now , now we bought a few piranha but watch out for fresh watersharks lol, then it was home , along dead roo drive until Mt Victoria pass.

Lake Lyell is one of the local dams I fish in. Ice Jigs are the only way to go out there. You can pick them up for about $10 and you're usually looking for the heavier ones in blue/orange. I'll have to dig a photo up later of the specific colouring.
It's much easier if you're in a boat and have a depth a, and you head from the wall up the back towards the Cox's river on the last right hand bend there's a deep channel that runs through here. Likely the old river. My best record from around this area is 203 redfin in 5 hours.

1548367434_img_20190125_090211.jpg

Latest posts