Gold Rat Mini Cleanup Sluice / backpack Highbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G0lddigg@ said:
Trusted said:
Should be faster than panning.

oh plenty faster than panning mate, i just dump buckets in almost as fast as i do with my 8 inch unit its a very aggressive profile

Have you got a rough estimate on how much this unit will cost as a package with hose, battery and bilge pump?
Looks like this could be taken on a hike to those streams a couple of klms from the parked 4x4.

hey mate the full kit as is now is $409 includes all listed accept battery. https://highbanker.com.au/collections/sluice-box/products/mini-cleanup-gold-sluice
i've found too many restrictions on shipping batteries using our main couriers but will be exploring a different service once we find the right supplier.

i personally use supercheap auto as they have great buying power, i buy the 7 amp hour batteries and keep two in the car it gives me a good 4 hours run time for around $100 for two batteries.

you're spot on about hiking in, once assembled its rock solid and so easy to carry and load into the car, its been my goto for the past 12 months as i like to explore and theres rarely more than a few puddles, easier to run this little sluice than pan
1547788166_jungle.jpg

Thanks for the advice G0lddigg@, and for a peek behind the curtain!

I like both variants in your photos. But I think the power sluice will be fine for me... for now. Order placed!

I'll buy a cheap bike battery to get me going while I research lithium batteries a bit more.

TheMediocritist said:

I like both variants in your photos. But I think the power sluice will be fine for me... for now. Order placed!

I'll buy a cheap bike battery to get me going while I research lithium batteries a bit more.

pleasure mate, ahh was that your order :) its packed and awaiting collection mate please let me know how you go and share :) keeps me going

TheMediocritist said:

Mate, have a look at these batteries at JayCar. :perfect:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/12-8v-18ah-deep-cycle-lifepo4-lead-acid-replacement/p/SB2202

I bought 2 before christmas to run with the 8" power sluice and 3000 GPH bilge pump.

Light as (2.8kg) and I get well over an hour out of each battery.

They also don't slow down as they get flat, they just run at full capacity then cut out.

Jarrod R said:
TheMediocritist said:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/12-8v-18ah-deep-cycle-lifepo4-lead-acid-replacement/p/SB2202

Excellent, thank you. What charger do you use?

TheMediocritist said:
Jarrod R said:
TheMediocritist said:

Excellent, thank you. What charger do you use?

Just an old 12v car battery charger I had lying around.

I have been meaning to get a cheap solar trickler charger from JayCar too to keep them topped up.

Something like this that Dustin recommends in his vids - https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-1-5w-solar-trickle-charger/p/MB3504

Thanks for advice. As we spoke over phone a few months back. I'm have converting the 12v to 3a DC With a 3a fuse. Works well. If something get caught in the pump, it switches off.

Jarrod R said:
TheMediocritist said:

I bought 2 before christmas to run with the 8" power sluice and 3000 GPH bilge pump.

Light as (2.8kg) and I get well over an hour out of each battery.

They also don't slow down as they get flat, they just run at full capacity then cut out.

Damn thats light mate what a ripper. Price tah is right up there but thats the tradeoff i guess. I bought a new 36 amp hour agm battery last month it didnt survive the first road trip completely dead no voltage reading at all and of course lost in transit on its trip back lol such is life. My previous 34 amp hour powersonic agm was only $240 and about 16kgs fits nicely in a bucket too but i have to say the light weight options really tick the box for me.

Ive had a long, hard week away from home thanks to this beast:
https://i.imgur.com/SV3Hb7k_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

... so it was great to get home and find the mini sluice waiting for me. Thanks G0lddigg@, and thanks for the gift too!

First impressions: its well designed and constructed (as expected from the 6 sluice I already owned) and a very manageable size/weight for hiking up the creek.

Im itching to get out there and give it a run, but given the work situation, may not get to for a week or so. Ill report back after I get that chance.

Good stuff!

great to hear your recirc unit showed up mate, that plume looks scary though. hope to hear good reports back stay safe

ctxkid said:
G0lddigg@ said:
i personally use supercheap auto as they have great buying power, i buy the 7 amp hour batteries and keep two in the car it gives me a good 4 hours run time for around $100 for two batteries.
that is expensive big time :awful: :awful:

i would sell you 4 for that money ;)

https://res.cloudinary.com/dyuctplm...270_Sealed_Lead_Acid_12_Volt_7_AH_Battery.jpg

not really expensive for the convenience having a stor ein every major city region around the country, they do have to pay the bills and keep the doors open for that convenience i don't mind supporting aussie businesses.

are you a battery supplier? shoot me a pm if you are happy to discuss purchasing, i'm all about making product available to customers.

Hi GOlddig.
Sorry for crashing post but Im still working on my quota for pm . ?

You may not remember but Im proud to say I was the first person you sold the 6 recirc sluice to (first production one) and I absolutely love it .

However I have found that due to me leaving the mat out in the sun for a while on occasion the mat tends to become sticky and gets caught to the clamp and sluice when trying to remove it for cleaning .... is there some way I can residue this ? Maybe a soak in detergent or oil etc ?

Riffdigger said:
Hi GOlddig.
Sorry for crashing post but Im still working on my quota for pm . ?

You may not remember but Im proud to say I was the first person you sold the 6 recirc sluice to (first production one) and I absolutely love it .

However I have found that due to me leaving the mat out in the sun for a while on occasion the mat tends to become sticky and gets caught to the clamp and sluice when trying to remove it for cleaning .... is there some way I can residue this ? Maybe a soak in detergent or oil etc ?

hey mate awesome to hear you're loving your mini. yes the mat expands in the sun think of urethane as a foam, it has loads of minuscule pores that you cant see but that will expand in heat and like a suction cap with water will grab onto a smooth surface i.e. aluminium. the best way to fix this is the exact opposite of cleaning basically you want to fill those little pores if you can find some talcum powder get some onto your mat and rub it all over it will fill the pores and the problem is solved. i actually ship mats out with commercial talc dusted ot the bottoms so they dont stick when stored away and in retail stores.

TheMediocritist said:
I like these batteries (on paper at least):
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/small-case/ag-401/

6Ah in half a kilo (and tiny), or 9Ah in 750g. Im going to pick up the Jaycar one and order the 6Ah antigravity battery to try out.

i love the idea of lithium but i was told by a supplier that they still aren't 100% stable and to wait a while until they stop blowing up. sadly its still common for these batteries to overheat and cause fires and as i carry most of my gear in my daily driver i'm sticking with the tried and true until someone proves otherwise.

G0lddigg@ said:
i love the idea of lithium but i was told by a supplier that they still aren't 100% stable and to wait a while until they stop blowing up. sadly its still common for these batteries to overheat and cause fires .

mainly when charged incorrectly :Y:

Latest posts