Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Kings Big daddy. Love it! It great for a good nights sleep after a big day on the detector.
Last weekend it was around 5 in the evening at Talbot and the swag was warm inside. I also bought the mesh ground sheet which stops the cold from coming up underneath.

Danielkrupski said:
Have to be careful with self inflating during the colder months as the air in the mattress will match the ground and air temp

Even the foam filled ones?
What if they were on top of a normal one, or is it just because there is air trapped in the foam?
Cheers for the tip. :Y:

wife and i bought 2 exped mega singles cos we also bought oztrail single stretchers singles suit our tent better than a double and it is a nice change she cant pinch all the doona . they are $250 each but i wanted to buy quality . to me what you sleep on is important when you think you spend almost a third of your life asleep ( i said almost ) or in bed anyway and i bought the exped ones for the rated thermal protection which is R9.5 close to as good as it gets .
bought mine from snowys .

johno

Snowys = great customer service. Had a mix up with wrong type swag being sent and they gave me a top of the line one for same price :Y: :Y:

I bought the king daddy as well. I sold the 50mm mattress whilst it was still in the bag new. As I have slept on a 100mm self inflatting mattress and was still uncomfortable.
And it was so big and bulky!
I only ever use air beds. The queen size in your swag is a touch too big to get at the zippers, the normal double is the go. And for their price and compact, take a back up.
a doona underneath is recommended in cooler months, I use a king size doona and sleep in it folded over.

TIP. Canvas dose absorb water, and stitching can shrink etc, doing this trick can help keep your canvas more water resistant and supple etc. About $40, allow for 90 minutes.

Go to coles or woolworths and buy 8/10 tins of dubbin neutral leather polish. Cut the bristles back on a 50mm cheap paint brush to about 25mm. This makes it stiffer to spread it.
pitch your Swag without pegs. Start on the sunny side, Brush the cream on, you will see it melts into the canvas with a bit of sun, and makes it hard to see where you have applied it, so do so in a sequence pattern you can remember, start with the stitching first.
Do a flap zipped closed, then unzip and do the canvas exposed around the folds. Do the internal stitching and zip area as well.

Dont worry about a bit of excess getting on the vinyl well when doing the lower area, simply wipe off excess.
If you do this on a cloudy day, and penertration and drying becomes an issue... sneak into the house a knock the cooks hair dryer.
If you use a hot air gun !!! Keep well back from the swag. As this cream dose not need much temp. Once it has soaked in, it is very hard to see any difference.
But I believe this is better than any spray chemical, as they dont preserve the materials etc.

This application can be done to all similar canvas sheets.
oh yeah, add some tassels to the internal zips, makes it easier in the dark to find them to get out for a whizz!

Around $20 can get you a 12v dc high volume air pump at kmart and big W. 3 minutes and its blown up, they can also suck the air out at pack up.

Ive got a Kulkyne king single swag which has a 70mm mattress which i find adequate , though i now throw the swag on one of the kings sumo stretcher ( perfect dimension fit ) and makes it suer comfy now .

Maybe go to an upholsterer or clark rubber ( if they still exist) and get a thicker foam mattress cut , maybe 80mm.

Dirtdemon said:
Ive got a Kulkyne king single swag which has a 70mm mattress which i find adequate , though i now throw the swag on one of the kings sumo stretcher ( perfect dimension fit ) and makes it suer comfy now .

Maybe go to an upholsterer or clark rubber ( if they still exist) and get a thicker foam mattress cut , maybe 80mm.
On a whim several years ago I bought one of the Kulkyne stretcher swags and loved it until I discovered the Amok hammock which is perfect for either motorcycle, kayak or ute camping.

the exped self inflates come with a small hand pump that lets you adjust the thing to however hard or soft you want it . an air mattress offers almost no insulation from cold coming up from below and if you plan to sleep in very cold conditions not good at all . i did all the reading and research before i bought .

johno

In winter, I lay a $5 thermal blanket on the base of the swag, under the foam and self inflator.
Warm as toast.

1527549252_capture.jpg

Its a hard call i have never had a foam but do have a 10cm thick king single self inflating roman one with the blow up pillow etc i the 4wd monthly was doing them to... I bought a second one for a simpson crossing last month and it was punctured day two and sh#t there after and that was done somehow inside an oztent... I dont know if the roman and other cheaper ones are that good at insulating the ground temp though as i frose in the desert with mine and the guys in swags inside oztents all had foam and were warm as they reckoned..

If i buy another i will look at the thermarest ones as they give a thermal rating for there different models

Are you guys using dome swags or standards as i am looking to get one but swaying towards a standard so i can use it in the tent tooo to save having another bed when there is more than just me plus putting the tubes in looks like another thing to do.. is it a hassle or well worth the effort

Cheers unindexed

Some people seem to always have a problem with a change of beds, harder, softer, thinner, saggier, etc. I have found that while I love to get back to my bed at home (or to the one in my camper van), when camping rough, after one or 2 nights on the ground on even a self-inflating mattress of 10-15mm (yes mm) that I can get a good nights sleep. To me my pillow (or sore legs) are more what makes me wake and toss and turn.
I am not a young bloke (getting close to 80) and so far have stayed clear of using a stretcher under a swag (as I thought that they would be colder), but I may try one of them in a year or so.
In my current and previous swags, I have always just used the "egg-shell" type foam mattress that was supplied with the swag.

Rob P

recently bought one of the kings escape swags online the single one. After them mucking me around I still havent received it so concidering swapping it for the big daddy deluxe which they have in stock. Is it better than the escape single? Im about 510 so not big by any means

Cheers ?

Mate I've got the big daddy deluxe.
I'm 6.1ft and 140 kg and I've still got heaps of room for the little wife...They are well worth the money...Only problem is they roll up to about 5ft + in height and about 60cm across cercumfrence. They also sag in the middle once put up but there's simple ways to fix that. :Y:

If I was buying a new swag I would go the big daddy simply for the extra room, love my single swag but it gets crampy when I tuck my jeans, jumper and boots down the side, definitely go the big daddy.

Smoky bandit said:
Mate I've got the big daddy deluxe.
I'm 6.1ft and 140 kg and I've still got heaps of room for the little wife...They are well worth the money...Only problem is they roll up to about 5ft + in height and about 60cm across cercumfrence. They also sag in the middle once put up but there's simple ways to fix that. :Y:

Not gonna ask what you (and the little wife!) are using for a prop. :8

Latest posts