Garrett Infinium coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought one of the first ones off phil stearnes the garret distrib when they were released, i had all the available coils, the 2 monos worked ok but didnt like getting bumped at all started falsing, cheers buddy. :Y: :)

grumpygold said:
i bought one of the first ones off phil stearnes the garret distrib when they were released, i had all the available coils, the 2 monos worked ok but didnt like getting bumped at all started falsing, cheers buddy. :Y: :)

You must have been one of the few Infinium LS users that managed to get all 8 coils.

there were only 3 or 4 when first released from memory standard dd, small mono and the large mono, might have been a small dd cant remembr very long time ago 2008 or 2009 maybe

it was a piece of rubbish over promised under delivered " The minelab killer it was spose to be " only had mine 8 weeks sold it on ebay for more than what i payed for it, as phill was slow doing the oz mod too them very slowly so 2nd hand ones sky rocketed for a few months. this was after he closed the gold mining center and started business from home, sat in his back extension many a time, hed keep ya there for hours if you let him :Y:

There was 5 Garrett coils, 2 Mono and 3 DDs + 3 West coils also a large PM coil was made by Rov.

Mine is still in use and producing.

Is there any way of identifying the good mono coils from the ones that don`t stack up ?
I bought my 8 inch mono back in 2014 and the only thing it tells you is it is a Garret Infinium LS mono coil on the sticker. I can`t see any numbers stamped into i anywhere.

JS

From memory some of the older coils had thinner coil cabling that was prone to breakages/shielding issues, the later coils came with thicker more robust cabling. Other than that I don' recall any differences, only the Oz modification to the control box. I always ran the mono coils with mine, mainly for beach detecting - the cable and plugs failed on both my large DD and small elliptical coil, both throwaways thanks to the sealed coils.

Thanks, Goldpick.

My cable is about 1/4 of an inch in diameter . Is that the thin or thick one ?

What was the Oz Modification thing about ? How much did it cost to do ? Did it make any difference to the detector ?

JS

nesral said:
There was 5 Garrett coils, 2 Mono and 3 DDs + 3 West coils also a large PM coil was made by Rov.

Mine is still in use and producing.
hi there im pretty sure not when they were first released there wasnt, same as the atx they made them when customers started demanding them. anyway my opinion its a great beach machine but average on our mineralised ground :Y: :Y: :Y:

just starting said:
Thanks, Goldpick.

My cable is about 1/4 of an inch in diameter . Is that the thin or thick one ?

What was the Oz Modification thing about ? How much did it cost to do ? Did it make any difference to the detector ?

JS
cost was no extra it was just tweaked to handle our ground better, it did make it heaps better fixed the falsing issue i mentioned earlier. should be a yellowish gold mining center sticker in the battery compartment from memory :)

Garrett Infinium LS only had a 14x10" DD coil when it first came out, an 8" concentric coil also called a mono came out later but the detector had to be modified for it to work with this coil.

Hence the coloured sticker in the battery compartment to indicate what mods had been made in Australia.

So in fact everybody that purchased an Infinium LS in the early days had all the coils available, which was only one (1) until the Garrett 8" (dual coil) Mono came out.

The 3 West coils were Phils doing as there was a lack of coils until Garrett started producing more sizes.

Armed with that info , i popped the bonnet and had a look.
Only a white Garrett sticker with a barcode in the battery compartment,so i have the base model only.

Thanks for the info everyone.

JS

Correct about the yellow sticker, my infinium was an older one and couldn't run the mono coils until modified. The previous owner ended up frying the motherboard trying to run the mono coils, though Phil fixed and modified it for a very reasonable price. Another problem with the Garrett coils were breaks at the cable strain, usually meant a bin job.

The Infinium would have to be one of the most unreliable detectors I have owned, those connectors with the fragile pins would one reason why I would never own an AT Pro. Probably one of the worse things is how sensitive it is to the coil picking up cable movement, even on a windy day the detector would false if the coil cable wasn't firmly taped down. At least it obtained excellent depth when beach detecting, even with the 8" mono coil, the larger DD was bit of a boat anchor.

My Infinium is from 2004, imported and modified by GMC, never had a problem with falsing from loose wires.
However connectors need careful alignment when changing coils.
Purchase from eBay and Gumtree can be a risk when not knowing who imported the detector, it was even worse in the early years as many individuals got theirs from USA to save a $$ only to find they didn't work well on our gold fields.
Many wound up on eBay often with pictures of gold and the words (Gold not included)
Poor chaps that bought them from eBay came to forums in despair hoping for solutions, which other Infinium users could not provide and so bad-mouthing the Infinium became common.
One big mistake often done with the Infinium is to move the coil to fast the original issued 14x10" DD coil will in fact detect a small Gold neck chain without a clasp or other attachment.

I didnt know any of this before, thank you all!
Checked mine, yellow sticker, hand written AU, FM, 5/7/2012.
I have taken mine for a swim but Im waiting for the water to clear to retrieve the 5 or 6 targets among the rocks.
Matt T

Latest posts