Garrett Ace 400i Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two without stones have Pandora's S925 ALE markings but the one with the stone only has 925 stamped on it.

A quick update for you guys..

I've been out a few more times picking up mainly modern coins (which is to be expected where I'm currently hunting), and I'm really enjoying using this detector, not just for it's simplicity but also how much power Garrett have packed into such a small, lightweight unit. It's truly a $1 and $2 magnet and hits hard on silver, and I honestly think for anyone contemplating getting an AT Pro but lack the funds or simply can't justify the purchase, the 400i is a very good choice.

Anyway, I've got a new spot in mind for the long weekend so I'll post up any finds of interest.

P.S. for those of you playing at home, here's a list of common VDI numbers based on my testing. More to follow.

5 cent - ID 64
10 cent - ID 72
20 cent - ID 79
50 cent - ID 80
$1 - ID 84/85
$2 - ID 83/84
.500 Shilling - ID 85
.925 Shilling - ID 92
.500 Sixpence - ID 83/84
.925 Sixpence - ID 88/89
.925 Threepence - ID 84/85
1966 Round 50 cent - ID 98
.925 Ring (medium thickness) - ID 90/93
9K Gold Ring (medium thickness) - ID 76
18k Gold Ring (medium thickness) - 77-78
Pull Tab - ID 74/76

The 400i is my first metal detector so I have nothing to compare it to (except my gold racer and they are completely different machines) but I love it.

I am glad i got the 400i rather than the 200i/300i for the iron audio. That has saved a lot of digging. I cracked the $200 in goldies yesterday so I have almost paid for the upgrade. Without the iron audio bottle tops can sound awesome but flick on the iron audio and time to move on. The odd goldie can have a little iron crackle (maybe the soil?) but nothing compared to most bottle tops. You still dig some bottle tops but I hate to think how many more I would have had to dig to get my fortune. It is those pesky soft drink bottle tops which have mastered their ability to disguise themselves as a goldie.

I also like how the 12 target segments panned out. I mostly use the custom setting and select the last 2 segments and everything above 83 pings. So I believe I am getting all the goldies and predecimals (where is that florin? - I believe both the pre and post 45 florins should ping above 83? Got any of those Nugget?). The odd $2 will ping one way (83) but is silent (82) on the way back but I just keep my eye on the screen and dig. I know I am missing the silver coins and gold rings but I am close to incorporating a dig all approach again at times...just hooked on the goldies atm.

I try not to rely too much on the iron audio feature but do use it before digging most targets simply to hear and learn the response of each. I've found in the particular ground I'm hunting atm that most modern coins produce at least a little iron grunt, apart from the goldies all modern coins are coming out of the ground black, so whether or not this has anything to do with it or if it's the soil I'm not entirely sure until I move onto new ground. You're right in that bottle tops will produce a greater and more obvious response, and with a little practice it's pretty easy to tell the difference.

I too occasionally notch out everything except the last two notches targeting only silver and goldies, this is quite effective in really trashy or well manicured ground but it's also good for those times when you're short on time and don't want to dig a lot of rubbish.

I'll crack open my silver collection a little later to see if I have any florins, if I find one I'll do an air test for you and report the VDI number. I'm certain a florin will ping well above 83 so you should be right with your current settings.

You may have to visit his facebook page to view further updates, he hasn't been posting on here much lately.

I'm still here guys, just haven't done a great deal of detecting of late, work, family, moved house, new car, new baby on the way etc ect.

The last hunt I went on with Muz produced a couple more rings as well as a couple pre-decimals. Overall I'm still impressed with the 400 and haven't any real negatives to report.

I'm hoping to get back out there in the coming weeks so I'll post abother update when I do.

I just bought one of these machines nugget and would like to thank you for the numbers, hows the machine going and do you have any updates on these numbers?

Nugget said:
P.S. for those of you playing at home, here's a list of common VDI numbers based on my testing. More to follow.

5 cent - ID 64
10 cent - ID 72
20 cent - ID 79
50 cent - ID 80
$1 - ID 84/85
$2 - ID 83/84
.500 Shilling - ID 85
.925 Shilling - ID 92
.500 Sixpence - ID 83/84
.925 Sixpence - ID 88/89
.925 Threepence - ID 84/85
1966 Round 50 cent - ID 98
.925 Ring (medium thickness) - ID 90/93
9K Gold Ring (medium thickness) - ID 76
18k Gold Ring (medium thickness) - 77-78
Pull Tab - ID 74/76

He sold his Ace 400i back in March, so I don't think you will be hearing much more from him on the subject.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with life.

As Goldpick mentioned I sold the 400i but I can highly recommend it, very stable, punches deep and is quite sensitive to the small stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in the future if I felt so inclined.

I'm currently getting around with a Gold Monster 1000 which I'll probably post on in the coming weeks.

I paid around that for my 300 so that price is good I reckon.
Sorry dont know about knock offs but can say it's a good machine on the coins, has good target ID.

There are fakes/copies of all popular detectors.
Best way to check private used sales is to contact the manufacturer to verify serial no. + original purchase details.
Failing that buying off an authorised dealer is the only 100% foolproof solution.

Jaros said:
What's broken? :(
Sounds like a broke shaft problem.... :eek:
nip n tuck... saw it in half and insert a good solid stick in both bits and screw it in hard from the side.. make sure you're gunna get wood first though.
:Y: :perfect:

The problem is , turn on you get full screen check, them the numbers disappear and it looks like it want see the coil, may be the coil connection?can you use a multi meter to check the coil . and what would be the resistance reading.

:pickshovel:

That's the extent of my expertise there... maybe check for cracks in coil... make sure it's plugged in properly too. :(