how to extract the crystals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1545948500_congolomerate.jpg

My son found this, he is super focused on crystals at the moment. it seems to be a crystal embedded lump of rock. Its like sandstone but dirt based.

how would one liberate the crystals from the rock?

tia

Usually cant remove them out of the rock unless you can pluck the 'eggs' out gently with screwdriver. There should be heaps already loose on the beach it was from. Vinegar may eat away the brown rock but it may also eat the eggs away or faster. Wet tile saw may cut some interesting slabs. Could always just give them a small hammer and chisel and will keep them amused for a while haha

Try some wood deck cleaner one that has oxalic acid as the active cleaner. Soak it for a few hours then it may break apart, itll clean most of the fine particles off the little eggs as well. Looks like its from a lava flow that was most likely a narrower channel that cooled quickly as the minerals didnt have time to collect in large areas before cooling. Have the same around a couple of pockets of black amethyst I found. Hope this helps

Theduke said:
Try some wood deck cleaner one that has oxalic acid as the active cleaner. Soak it for a few hours then it may break apart, itll clean most of the fine particles off the little eggs as well. Looks like its from a lava flow that was most likely a narrower channel that cooled quickly as the minerals didnt have time to collect in large areas before cooling. Have the same around a couple of pockets of black amethyst I found. Hope this helps

thanks, there's a larger crystal stuck right in the middle, my cameras busted so I can only do shots in selfie mode - its too hard to try and capture.

I'll give that a shot

I sometimes use a dentists drill to get individual crystals out of the matrix they are embedded in.

@OP, please be mindful of oxalic acid. Firstly, you're after 100%w/v Crystallised oxalic acid. Crystallised will work better than the powdered and liquid solutions. Dilute this 1:10 with water but wear a respirator, gloves and goggles. This stuff will burn you, it's fumes are toxic and if ingested causes kidney and liver failure.

It does clean just about anything covered with metal deposits. Works wonders for quartz.

Bunnings.com.au/diggers-2kg-rust-and-stain-cleaner_p0960276

Latest posts