Rare cricket buckle question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, some of you may have seen on my other post that my wife found this Australia and England cricket buckle. We didn't know it at the time but after posting it online we have found out its 1890 and the only one like it. There is another one similar but doesn't have the curtains around the outside. So being a very unique piece if the earliest ashes cricket history and maybe the only one like it around would anyone know what price we could get for such a piece? It will be for sale just working out a price to start at.
many thanks for any info...

Lisas find by Marc Russo, on Flickr

after a very very careful clean up..
Untitled by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Do you think that cleaning it with CLR might decrease it's value,for you I'm hoping not.

A top find which ever way you look at it.

The Big Smo said:
Do you think that cleaning it with CLR might decrease it's value,for you I'm hoping not.

this is one of the items i wouldnt ever use CLR on. All i did with this was i took alot of time with soft fine tooth brush, water, detergent. Then once all the dirt was off it gave it a light gun oil to help protect it so all good with the cleaning side of things :)

after the last 2 hours of research both on the net and in my books(Carters and Millers) which there is a lot of
the only thing i could find was the late 1800's and early 1900's were going for around the $100.00au mark
Before you list it i would be contacting one of the cricket museum and ask them
BradmanMuseum &InternationalCricketHall of Fame. New South Wales 257602 4862 1247

7.62marksman said:
after the last 2 hours of research both on the net and in my books(Carters and Millers) which there is a lot of
the only thing i could find was the late 1800's and early 1900's were going for around the $100.00au mark
Before you list it i would be contacting one of the cricket museum and ask them
BradmanMuseum &InternationalCricketHall of Fame. New South Wales 257602 4862 1247

Thanks mate, yeah hoping because its a rare and one of a kind it could be worth a lot more but not getting hopes up. Cheers for the contact, i gave them a call and were super interested. Just sent them an email with the photos etc. Will keep you all posted

tailormarc said:
The Big Smo said:

this is one of the items i wouldnt ever use CLR on. All i did with this was i took alot of time with soft fine tooth brush, water, detergent. Then once all the dirt was off it gave it a light gun oil to help protect it so all good with the cleaning side of things :)

Thanks for the clarification.

Nice.

Thanks guys!
In the meantime i put it up on ebay to see if we can get a good price for it. I put it up for more than its worth although you never know if someone really wants it they might pay for it. If i cant get what im asking we shall keep it i recon

Maybe offer it to one of the pollies or a CEO for an exorbitant sum..... one way beyond your wildest dreams. They may want to invest in their future with their super. :100: %

silver said:
Maybe offer it to one of the pollies or a CEO for an exorbitant sum..... one way beyond your wildest dreams. They may want to invest in their future with their super. :100: %
haha i like that idea :):)

What a good find. I`ll be keeping an eye on that auction.

I looked at Dutchy`s finds from a couple of years` ago ,too. How many different sorts of these buckles were made ? Hundreds or thousands ?

I`d love to dig even one of these up from the ground.

Cheers.

JS

Thanks guys! Lots of watches on the ebay link, not sure if anyone will buy it or just watching to see if sells

Great find tailormarc. Have you contacted the WACA museum? I'm sure they will be able to tell you about it