Heat treating Cambodian zircon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just about to attempt heat treatment of Ratanakiri Cambodian brown/coke cola zircon.

Anyone experienced this process.

I have an electric kiln and purchased some graphite crucibles for the exercise.

Aim is for a traditional brilliant sky blue.

Why do you want to ruin a good stone by heat treating.... Heat treatment and 'Fakes' are killing the Industry... Or a better way to put it is 'they' are making a killing out of it...

LW....

Oh dear. May i suggest you research Ratanakiri Blue Zircon.
Far from ruining a natural stone, very special heat treatment creates stones like no other and are found only in this area.
This is not a case of colour lightening of dark stones, it is a unique gemstone.

Pretty Stone But..... All good, If that's what you want to do, Go for it...
and show us some pics of the finished product. ;) ..

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Why do you want to ruin a good stone by heat treating.... Heat treatment and 'Fakes' are killing the Industry... Or a better way to put it is 'they' are making a killing out of it...

LW....

It's not the heat treatment and fakes that's killing the industry, it's the non-disclosure that needs to be stamped out.

I've got nothing against heat treating a stone for colour enhancement provided said stone is for your own collection, but when it is offered for sale without disclosure, that's a different thing altogether.

As for offering fakes, I've got nothing against re-introducing public floggings as a weekly spectacle.

Jeff

Good luck Pete - what temperature and time are you thinking of ? Looks like there is a big difference in the result for sealed or unsealed crucibles.

I have always wondered what Australian zircons would do under heat treatment.

Would love to see some before and after photos.

Wally,
I packed it into a graphite crucible with crushed heat beads and heated for two hours at around 900C in an electric furnace. The aim - to generate a reducing atmosphere.
The stone went in as shown and came out white diamond clear. Apparently some do that rather than turn blue.

1547370268_223278215177_1.jpg

It has amazing second order colours in bright light and although the photo is poor, it is a really bright and
1547370749_20190113_190926.jpg
impressive stone.

Pete's Pick said:
I packed it into a graphite crucible with crushed heat beads and heated for two hours at around 900C in an electric furnace. The aim - to generate a reducing atmosphere.
The stone went in as shown and came out white diamond clear. Apparently some do that rather than turn blue.

Interesting. Where did that cooking info come from?

I ask because the university that studied cooking those stones to get the best blue from those stones used a somewhat different method. Hotter and a lot longer for best results.

Also heat beads contain an oxidizer :argh: (probably Sodium Nitrate) which probably didn't have any affect but maybe worth avoiding next time since you are trying to achieve a reducing atmosphere.

Heat Beads said:
An oxidising agent is used to make the briquettes easier to light. This material is a salt, often used as a food preservative. Without it, the briquettes would take a long time to light and require more firelighters.

Correct. Just that i got really impatient and couldn't wait so used what was at hand.

I will try more and yes, i suspect i read the same research suggesting 1400 deg C.

But i also read others suggesting 900 for two hours. And my furnace won't go to 1400 so i concocted a recipe. I am not unhappy at all. I was hoping for blue but this was a lot of fun and a lovely result.
The lustre is amazing. Started out greasy. But cut, exhibits real "fire" and brilliance, which gives it a shiny, freshly polished look. And it is very slippery in the hands, unlike any quartz, citrine or sapphire i have cut.

Pete's Pick said:
Correct. Just that i got really impatient and couldn't wait so used what was at hand.

:D :D Sounds like something I'd do - get impatient and improvise, for better or for worse.

That paper recommends graphite. I wonder how pure door lock graphite from the hardware is? Just a thought.

Anyway look forward to seeing and hearing about your results. Something I'd enjoy doing, a type of alchemy, but barely have the time to cut. Never mind sourcing decent rough and spending time experimenting with cooking.

Good luck with the next lot. :Y: :D

Thanks Pete, nice shaped rough. I love how a finished zircon plays with the light. :inlove: bloody hard to photograph though :awful:

I found the university study very interesting, looks like they got a lot of clears at lower temperatures with sealed and unsealed crucibles. Thinking I would try 1100deg and a simple covered crucible for about 2 hours, it seemed to me to be their sweet spot........funny how we all conclude our own ideas. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts