The QED and audio boosters.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are people actually using audio boosters with their QED?

SteelPhase SPO1? B&Z Booster? Nugget Booster? Treasure Mate V3? Rooster Booster?

Will they all work with a QED?

Is one necessary?

Which have you used and what pros/cons have you found?

I have used both B&Z booster & the SP01 on the QED.
Neither worked well with the Bluetooth wireless set ups that I was trying & with the Seinheisser RS-160's (the best RF wireless set up I tried) you had to set up as QED audio out >> Booster >> TX >>>> RX (built into headphones so only way to configure). There was little or no improvement to the RS-160's configured like this & it isn't the ideal set up as SteelPhase has also said previously in regards to the SP01.
Ideally for wireless it should be QED audio out >> TX >>>> RX >> Booster >> headphones/speaker. You really need a Bluetooth or RF system with seperate transmitter (TX) & reciever (RX) not built in RX.
Using with wired headphones & speakers I found that with the QED the B&Z introduced a lot of background hiss at all volume levels but did improve volume.
The SP01 improved volume without any background hiss & while maybe not as "loud" as the B&Z was much better. It worked well but ideally I wanted wireless so gave up on using a booster preferring the RS-160's.
As Pat says above I had to rewire my audio cable in order to get the QED audio in both L&R channels thru the SP01.
The RS-160's are on sale at Bing Lee at the moment for $199 which is cheap. https://www.binglee.com.au/sennheis...MIzsD4y4fn3wIVAw4rCh1TxQKrEAQYAyABEgLJT_D_BwE
Depending on your own hearing you may find these still a little low on volume with the QED but I found them good but did use them close to full volume.
I think a booster is really only necessary on the QED if you have hearing problems or like a louder background threshold.
The other plus with a booster is having convenient volume control.

Thanks Pat.

I am not the most technical bloke so be patient :)

When you say 'input' lead are you talking if the SPO1 was hard wired direct to the QED and then headphones or a speaker was on the output side of the SPO1?

If the configuration was QED - Blue Tooth Transmitter - Bluetooth Receiver - SPO1 - Speaker - (ie wireless rather than hard wired) would there still be an adjustment required?

Is the input lead adjustment something that you can do/provide for people if required?

Thanks MBASKO - I must have been typing whilst you were posting. This "Ideally for wireless it should be QED audio out >> TX >>>> RX >> Booster >> headphones/speaker" is definitely the set up I will be chasing.

With speaker not headphones. Just can't stand headphones :(

I'm afraid I can't be of much help on this subject as I use earphones or buds, and as you have stated speakers are your preferred audio.

Northeast said:
When you say 'input' lead are you talking if the SPO1 was hard wired direct to the QED and then headphones or a speaker was on the output side of the SPO1?
Yes. The output connection on the QED is wired differently than the Minelab machines and requires a stereo plug with the audio input to the sP01 connected to only the tip and ring of the stereo plug. I generally supply a cable with mono plugs both ends.

Northeast said:
If the configuration was QED - Blue Tooth Transmitter - Bluetooth Receiver - SPO1 - Speaker - (ie wireless rather than hard wired) would there still be an adjustment required?
No. Generally the standard input cable works for most situations (other than perhaps a change from the 6.35mm to 3.5mm plug required for some wireless units).

Northeast said:
Is the input lead adjustment something that you can do/provide for people if required?
I can do any combination lead required. If people let me know when they purchase the sP01 direct from me, I'll send it with the unit at no extra cost.

Latest posts