Wireless set-ups for the QED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Remaining wireless is a must for me. Being tethered to a detector is not in my future ;)

What wireless systems have you used with a QED?

Bluetooth or Wi-Fi?

Any appreciable lag in signal?

Cost?

Run time/battery life?

Used in conjunction with a booster?

Used with a speaker or headphones?

Put some info here mate:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=464208#p464208
Good work on the threads - much better way to have the info rather than one long thread :Y:

To add further:
In my opinion (& it's just my opinion) I would steer clear of cheap Chinese Bluetooth systems. I tried one & the audio wasn't good. Even 2 x more expensive ones (Avantree & Tao Tronics) both gave low audio + like a pulsing or cycling for want of a better description I.e. they would be near silent then sort of get some threshold breaking thru in pulses/cycles. I couldn't get them to work well regardless of position on the QED etc.
Not sure why as the Avantree & Tao Tronics units worked well for me on other PI & VLF's of various brands.
To eliminate wireless issues you may be better to look at mounting a wired booster & speaker set up on the QED as it's light enough to allow for this.

Thanks mbasko, just read your added edit info.

"To eliminate wireless issues you may be better to look at mounting a wired booster & speaker set up on the QED as it's light enough to allow for this." Great point. I think I have actually seen a pic of a QED with a speaker sitting atop the control box. This would also remove the need for the camel back I have had with the Z that housed the WM12, the B&Z and speaker.

Also means no need to recharge wireless senders and receivers and try and find issues when they arise.

Thanks for the suggestion :Y:

I had also thought of the Pro-Sonic but the price puts me off them.

I didn't mention it but I also briefly tried the Pro Sonic. Wasn't impressed with it on the QED either. Thankfully the one I tried was free with a package, I would of been pi55ed if I had bought it to try.
I have seen a pic somewhere of a speaker set up that is mounted on a bracket from the upper shaft. Think it's supplied with the PL2 now as the Nokia speaker is no longer being made - not sure or what the speaker is like etc. - but it looked a neat set up.

That is what I have.
I will take a pic tomorrow.
Put it this way, If you want every one for a kilometer around
to hear, It will do that, :100:

this is the one that came with my machine can still get them if you look on ebay but yes it has been discontinued now :Y:
1547298430_nokia.jpg

ctxkid said:
Northeast said:
lowest latency of any wireless set up , worth the coin :power: :perfect:
Yes it works well on the Minelab machines I've tried it on. Permanent fixture on SDC. Wasn't impressed with it on the QED!

The Nokia speakers are good & have an internal powered amp but no volume control. Not sure how they'd go attached to another booster I.e. amp into amp can cause issues.

mbasko said:
ctxkid said:
Northeast said:
lowest latency of any wireless set up , worth the coin :power: :perfect:
Yes it works well on the Minelab machines I've tried it on. Permanent fixture on SDC. Wasn't impressed with it on the QED!

The Nokia speakers are good & have an internal powered amp but no volume control. Not sure how they'd go attached to another booster I.e. amp into amp can cause issues.
i have tried this with a dick smith normal speaker worked ok , nokia over loads to the max terrible noise emitted. remember to turn nokia off straight after use or the batteries are dead flat by next use, yes i learn the hard way. now switch machine off then speaker as well at the same time. having on the top or side of control box seems ok too, no bad reports. hope this helps NE :)

The speaker that now comes with the QED seems OK, however there is not one on my machine as I use the Garret Z Lynk wireless system which I really like.
I also have the Deteknix wire free set up but have not used it yet, so can't comment other than it looks like a good compact little system.

Thanks GG and Reg.

So Reg, you have the Z Link receiver on you and then plug your earbuds into that?
Plenty of sound? Do you have volume adjustment at all?

YouTube instructional video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=377&v=G9V-CyNJS1U
Looks like a good system.
I wonder if a speaker can be plugged in instead of headphones.
Also wonder how it would play with a booster.

The Z Lynk does have volume adjustment and I tend to run it at the high end where it is more than ample for the Bose NC buds, which are just fantastic, and well they should be for the price. The Z Lynk receiver just sits in my shirt pocket or clips onto a windcheater or jacket.
I will test the Deteknix unit for you as soon as this stinking hot weather lets up, and let you know my thoughts. I see it also has volume control.

I wonder how the Quest WireFree Wireless Kit that Nenad sells would go with the QED, looks like a good bit of kit.