QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Another new QED video from Stinky Pete using Detech 11" Ultra Sensing Mono
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/xeaHKGcYjwk[/video]
Why does the signal seem delayed compared to where the coil is, Is that because of a slow processor or down to tuning, ?

The reason I ask is because on The ML's and the Whites I have owned they seem to respond faster.

Have noticed the same with mine. My theory is that the qed will give a below threshold volume signal for large targets if set up for small targets (below neutral bias ) and then give a rebound signal above threshold after it has passed over the target. Dunno the science of it but that's how it seems to me.

Dave79 said:
Have noticed the same with mine. My theory is that the qed will give a below threshold volume signal for large targets if set up for small targets (below neutral bias ) and then give a rebound signal above threshold after it has passed over the target. Dunno the science of it but that's how it seems to me.

Well that's a cool Idea because it sort of gives you an indication of what is down there as in big or small, I like that Idea.

Guys, in one of the Known test beds Mechanic or auman (can't remember your handle Mick!) and i pulled out one of those retail store anti theft stickers from the tube.
This is a well used test bed , (Talbot i think) , and the effect was that the GPZ did NOT Like it effectively masking signals, but the gpx didn't mind it.
Once removed the GPZ outshone the detectors tested on the day. the QED did perform well on the day though.

Not trying to highjack but please check the test beds out prior to proper testing.

I as a lateral thinking type of person
and also taking into account both an
owner of a QED and my status on this forum
must ask a very straight question. ??????

How has the GPZ come into play here. ???

what are you people trying to prove. ????

Tathradj said:

I think that Eski was just trying to say to check and make sure that the Test Beds had not been tampered with.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Tathradj said:

I think that Eski was just trying to say to check and make sure that the Test Beds had not been tampered with.

Cheers

Doug
Yeah ditto that :Y:
There are times when veering off topic can in fact be beneficial to the original post :Y:
Me thinks this is one of those tines ;)

When Wombat and I did some testing at the Coiltek test site, some clown had put a small bit of rusty steel into the smallest target site. Most confusing until we pin pointed the culprit.

washgravel said:
mbasko said:
This is just one reason why test bed results mean SFA!

I agree with mbasko as he says these type of test bed results mean SFA.(nothing)

Wow my reply sure has created some discussions on AEGF and I must say there is merit in what has been said there in regards to test beds.
Therefore I should clarify my "nothing" comment as I was referring to using LEAD as test targets.
In hindsight not sure now if mbasko was referring the same?

washgravel said:
washgravel said:
mbasko said:
This is just one reason why test bed results mean SFA!

I agree with mbasko as he says these type of test bed results mean SFA.(nothing)

Wow my reply sure has created some discussions on AEGF and I must say there is merit in what has been said there in regards to test beds.
Therefore I should clarify my "nothing" comment as I was referring to using LEAD as test targets.
In hindsight not sure now if mbasko was referring the same?
I'd assume most test beds would be using lead or similar? Doesn't really matter. I agree with some things they are saying on AEGPF too. Other things like trying to compare public test beds (can be tampered with etc.) to controlled manufacturer or military labs &/or test beds is laughable IMO.
Don't let that forum worry you too much. I see they've misinterpreted a lot from here & allow personal attacks/insults + have an intense loathing of anything/anyone from here by the looks of it.
I was referring to testing different detectors on test beds & those results meaning SFA in the real world. There are way too many variables involved & points of contention. ALL People will never agree on the results regardless who does them so to me they are mostly pointless! It's my opinion & nothing more. It's nothing against any particular brand/type/model.
Only good testing on test beds is testing the same detector/s with the same settings with a variety of coils to compare response of the coils or to test/tune your own detector/s to get used to the possible response & possible expected performance of it/them.
Hope that explains it better for you washgravel. :Y:
No doubt it will likely be misinterpreted, misquoted, ridiculed or used out of context on AEGPF. :rolleyes:

Finding known targets in a test bed only works when it comes to picking the right settings for that particular spot, Hunting in the wild has too many variables where you don't get to pick the exact settings because you don't know where the targets are to be able to fine tune the machine, So In the real world it's more of a matter of how well you know your machine and getting it close enough to work in that area,

Test beds are more about working out settings and seeing which coil works the best, Take 3 detectors out in the bush with 3 different people does not prove which one is best or who is the best, As we all know you have to get the coil over the target to find it and that boils down to pure dumb luck when it comes down to real world usage.

a bit late, but yes , the point of my post was - please check the test bests thoroughly. the sticky thing was actually stuck to the inside of one of the pipes, only came out cause we we jammed a stick in there so many times.

egixe4 said:
Yeah Mal shows that they use specifically made & very controlled environments for their test lane testing Edit: & thus their detector performance comparisons.
Also stated:
Minelab said:
Whilst having a variety of conveniently accessible test lanes allows for rapid evaluation of new products, it doesn't eliminate the need for wider field testing in real detecting conditions.
:eek:

Latest posts