Hi guys. Newbie! Got a diamond question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reading this forum on and off for the fun of it but today i joined because i think i actually found something. I think i found diamonds in north eastern nsw, not on any maps i have seen(here or otherwise) I have been a rouckhound for yrs and was sieving and panning today hoping for a little dust and found these! How do i figure out if they are a diamond or do i have to take them to someone else?
1547184857_resized_20190111_161508_7789.jpg
1547184869_resized_20190111_162254_3353.jpg

Put a post here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=464175#p464175
Specific gravity, hardness testing, grease table, ultraviolet light, cleavage etc. If you think it's the right specific gravity, hardness etc. get a Gemologist to check them.
Likely you have quartz. The cleavage appears conchoidal but photo not real good to view on phone. Diamonds, topaz etc. cleave smooth, flat.

Did you get any other gems ruby zircon sapphires etc where you found them. If not then it looks like quartz crystals to me. You can also take them to any jeweler that does valuations and appraisals of the values of stones . Just ask them to see if they are diamonds they will tell you soon enough.

Latest posts