Whites Goldmaster2 restoration

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I put the gm2 up for sale on ebay to help fund a different detector for the missus, replacing her x-terra 305. That didn't work too well, as I pulled the gm2 from ebay to keep her for long term, and to finish off the refurb. ;) As the shaft seemed a bit shorter than usual, and plus there was no mount for the control box at the top of the shaft (as all goldmasters have), I purchased a complete new 3-piece shaft assembly with arm cuff, coil bolt and rubberwashers from Goldsearch for a mere $54.

Rather than replace the bung speaker, I snipped and heatshrunk the terminated cables, and sealed up the speaker holes and screw holes with black sealant to prevent dust/moisture ingress, the speaker was receiving voltage, so it was definitely past its used by date. The new DD 6x4 Shooter coil was fitted up with new velcro fasteners and plastic clips to finish things off - she looks like a complete new machine now!

1385572408_img_20131128_034113.jpg

1385572442_img_20131128_034144.jpg

I originally got the cable clips from Miners Den here in SA, they have a basket full of them and they are usually free to take., so I grabbed a hand full! :)

Well the ol GM2 has gone to a new home after some of the fixes and upgrades, hope they enjoy it! It has now been replaced by a hard to find Whites Goldmaster 3 in fabulous condtion, probably one of the best VLF gold detectors out there. I still have the small DD shooter coil for it, and a new 10x6 DD is also on its way. :)

1387683293_p1060719.jpg

Got a pretty good deal I thought, sold the GM2 for around $300, and picked up the GM3 for only $85 more. It's much better to operated with the 10 turn threshold, adjustable V-sat control, and the 40:1 fine ground balance vs the dual dial on the GM2. No problem ground balancing it in the hills today, ran like charm! Should compliment the Infinium nicely. Was looking at getting the Sierra Gold Max coil for it as well, but its really just a shallow/small gold machine not made for deeper pieces, I have the xt17000 with the WOT coil and the Infinium for that. :)

These Older Whites Goldmasters are excellent for fine gold specimens , a mate and I use one to check out quartz tailings , we use a plastic milk crate to stand the quartz on when waving the coil over so the faint signals are easier to hear , we do well ! ;)

Latest posts