Has The Golden Triangle All Been Detected Thoroughly?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevewilko

that's right it was me....
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a query about my approach to detecting in the Golden Triangle that you might help me with please.

It has been a recurring thought, I have wanted to discuss this with somebody, so hopefully the best approach is to write my thoughts here.

This is what we might regularly hear; -

"It has all been detected before"

"There is no gold left there to detect" (eg: Dunolly, Tarnagulla, etc.) -

"everyone is going to other areas just to try to find something".

"There has been detectorists over and over these grounds for 30 yrs"

With this in mind, I have never yet been into the popular areas, such as the above, due to my perceived scarcity of probable finds.

I do use the GPX 4800 with big coils, so I think to consider going there anyway and to go over these grounds again to try to source deeper lying gold.

The question in my mind is

Are these areas picked clean and is it still worth it to go over these grounds anyway?

What might you say?

Thank you, Steve Wilko

Get yourself a panning kit and start panning for gold, at least you know there's more of the fine gold than a detectable gold nugget. :goldpan:

stevewilko said:
Hi All,
I have a query about my approach to detecting in the Golden Triangle that you might help me with please.
It has been a recurring thought, I have wanted to discuss this with somebody, so hopefully the best approach is to write my thoughts here.
This is what we might regularly hear; -
"It has all been detected before"
"There is no gold left there to detect" (eg: Dunolly, Tarnagulla, etc.) -
"everyone is going to other areas just to try to find something".

"There has been detectorists over and over these grounds for 30 yrs"
With this in mind, I have never yet been into the popular areas, such as the above, due to my perceived scarcity of probable finds.
I do use the GPX 4800 with big coils, so I think to consider going there anyway and to go over these grounds again to try to source deeper lying gold.
The question in my mind is
Are these areas picked clean and is it still worth it to go over these grounds anyway?
What might you say?
Thank you, Steve Wilko

From my experience, plenty of people were saying pretty much the same things 35+ years ago (1982), when my wife and I first went to the Golden Triangle to prospect! It surprised us how many detectorists we encountered then had never found anything either. :eek:

My advice is have a go, Steve - and remember, it doesn't matter how many have gone before you, nobody has found the gold that you're going to find. :Y:

Its not all gone i was there 2 weeks ago tarnagulla just got have right mine set, and research, research, research
1547091277_15470912438948796476986137613027.jpg

Most of the 'easy' gold has gone. Prospectors who are thorough generally find gold in most areas.

That being said, there are plenty of stories of newbies finding big chunks in well known areas.

As time goes on erosion takes place. Even 5mm off the top can make a big difference.

Technology also improves. Better detectors and easier access to information like GeoVic etc.

I have been over plenty of ground that is supposedly thrashed and found gold. Its all about time on the ground and working smarter not necessarily harder.

Think about this.
If you gridded an area 1 kilometre by 1 kilometre and your chain lines were 1 metre apart you would have walked 1,000 kilometres.
There's more gold in the ground than ever came out..... but it never grows back.
Detecting is a lifestyle and a hobby not a profession.
Stick to your guns.. Have fun out there. :| :/ :p

Anyone that says go elsewhere usually knows there is stuff still there. If there was gold elsewhere they would say the triangle still holds gold to keep you out of the other areas. Where there was once gold there will be more to find. Gold still keeps turning up in areas flogged to death here in the WA goldfeilds

EVIE/BEE said:
Think about this.
If you gridded an area 1 kilometre by 1 kilometre and your chain lines were 1 metre apart you would have walked 1,000 kilometres.
There's more gold in the ground than ever came out..... but it never grows back.
Detecting is a lifestyle and a hobby not a profession.
Stick to your guns.. Have fun out there. :| :/ :p
My point here is, people will tell you it's all gone... then they will go in and pick up gold.
They never get it all.

If you are very confident in your gear, settings, running a big coil and there in the right conditions then you have a big advantage over most others that have been before you.
I still believe there's plenty to be found in the "flogged out areas", you just need to detect with the right mindset and consistency and back yourself in to be better than anyone else that's swung there before.
The good thing about detecting deep with a big coil in flogged areas is if you start hitting deep trash, you know you're deeper than those before you :Y:
Go for it :goldnugget:

If your into detecting with the idea of striking it rich, your going to be very disappointed.

I have been prospecting for years and the last two years have only found about 2 - 3 grams per year.
I have an SDC & GPZ, the gold is getting harder to find each year and there is no shortage of people
been going over and over the same ground for 40 years, detecting started in 1978 for gold in the GT.

Lower your expectations.

Swinging & digging said:
If your into detecting with the idea of striking it rich, your going to be very disappointed.

I have been prospecting for years and the last two years have only found about 2 - 3 grams per year.
I have an SDC & GPZ, the gold is getting harder to find each year and there is no shortage of people
been going over and over the same ground for 40 years, detecting started in 1978 for gold in the GT.

Lower your expectations.

Have you tried turning the sdc and gpz ON mate???

Just kidding by the way :p

I don,t get as much time as you to go prospecting, Nothing Great.
Live on the wrong side of town for easy access to GT, plus working full time in a demanding job.

My production is based on about 20 to 25 days detecting per year, 8 hours a day.

Have faith in your gear, in your ability, and swing slower than the last guy, and shuffle forwards, i.e. overlap, overlap and the gold will come. 1 bullet off some old diggings immediately tells me I'm doing everything right. This is the same as everywhere really.

Latest posts