Beach / Sand scoop handles

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just gone through my second Woden handle, snapped in the water getting a deep target. What does everyone else use or any ideas on were to get a strong handle from?

hi, looking at a sand scoop and cant decide whether to get the round cylinder type or the trex kind. also what do u use for handles? surley a broom handle isnt strong enough. thanks

Go a hardware store and look at the shovels
Around $30 and look for the ones with a fibreglass
hand And cut the handle off from the bottom.

Some of these have a steel tube inside the fibreglass
Handle.

Hope this helps..

I currently use a fibreglass handle off a trenching shovel, same as Wolfau mentioned. Does tend to slip out of the U-bolts after a whole if used in rocky ground, but fine for wet/dry sand. I usually carry a small shifter if adjustments need to be done on the run, even after applying loctite to the mount threads.

These guys do specially made scoop handles, including a lightweight carbon fibre one.

http://www.stealthscoop.com/prices-options.html#S30

As per SABogan's scoop, mine has also developed cracks in the front welds due to the prying of rocks. Probably better off with a one piece tubular scoop if dealing with rocks, as any welds tend to become a weak point after time.

Today I put a handle on one of my beach scoops. It's waist height. I tested it out tonight and I have the handle vertical and it seems as though it would function better for penetration into the sand with a bit of rearward angle.
What angle do members prefer there handle on their long handles beach scoops.
Sorry still can't do pictures.

Well the Ghosts of detectorists past came to me in my dreams and recommended the angle of 20 degrees +_. Looks like they were right.
Took it to the beach tonight and got 60c and some of those new pull tab beer bottle tops.
The handle is one of the lightweight legs off an ALDI sunshade and the bracket it fits into is the corner piece off a hospital bed. :Y:

Latest posts