Toyota FJ Cruiser

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
savage bitter said:
buy a prado fj weird to sit in feels small

Didn't know that, There's a bloke who comes to the Pub next door with a Blue one, I think he's lifted it a couple of inches, looks nice though, that's the only one I've seen.

Ridge Runner said:
savage bitter said:

Didn't know that, There's a bloke who comes to the Pub next door with a Blue one, I think he's lifted it a couple of inches, looks nice though, that's the only one I've seen.
they feel and are pretty small to sit in prado is about the same price and lots more room :Y:

I actually like the raw look of them, except those ugly rear taili lghts! Geeeeze
But i think the fact they have disappeared in short time speaks for itself.
Yet the Prado is still kicking on well.
Opinion only

I had one for 5 years, my thoughts.

Absolutely great 4x4, I never got stuck, did Loveday, Saunders Gorge, Murray Mouth, White Springs and Flinders Ranges as well as Tassie.
Crap Tow Tug as it only has a 510kg load limit, so by the time you add Bull bar, tow bar fridge etc me and the wife there's SFA left for ball weight.

Engine is very responsive, 4lt Prado Petrol engine. Great on the sand, but hurts the hip pocket. Stock I got 12lt/100km, once I added the bar work and other gear it ran at 15lt. Then when I added my 1750kg van it went to 24-25lt/100. I had the 2012 model, no reserve tank, so the 72lt tank meant filling up every 250km or so towing.

I traded mine at 5 yrs old, 85,000km while it still had some value on a 2016 Colorado 7, a few weeks before the Trailblazer was released. I now get under 10/100 driving and 14/100 towing the same van.

My main reason for changing was the towing economy and limitation on load. If they had produced the FJ with the Prado Diesel, I'd still be driving it :)

So if you are after a good 4x4, towing a small camper trailer and don't mind the fuel use go for it, but look for a 2013 on as they were fitted with a sub tank that doubled the fuel reserve.

Mine at Loveday
1547034326_my_cruiser_1.jpg

condor22 said:
I had one for 5 years, my thoughts.

Absolutely great 4x4, I never got stuck, did Loveday, Saunders Gorge, Murray Mouth, White Springs and Flinders Ranges as well as Tassie.
Crap Tow Tug as it only has a 510kg load limit, so by the time you add Bull bar, tow bar fridge etc me and the wife there's SFA left for ball weight.

Engine is very responsive, 4lt Prado Petrol engine. Great on the sand, but hurts the hip pocket. Stock I got 12lt/100km, once I added the bar work and other gear it ran at 15lt. Then when I added my 1750kg van it went to 24-25lt/100. I had the 2012 model, no reserve tank, so the 72lt tank meant filling up every 250km or so towing.

I traded mine at 5 yrs old, 85,000km while it still had some value on a 2016 Colorado 7, a few weeks before the Trailblazer was released. I now get under 10/100 driving and 14/100 towing the same van.

My main reason for changing was the towing economy and limitation on load. If they had produced the FJ with the Prado Diesel, I'd still be driving it :)

So if you are after a good 4x4, towing a small camper trailer and don't mind the fuel use go for it, but look for a 2013 on as they were fitted with a sub tank that doubled the fuel reserve.

Mine at Loveday
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1547034326_my_cruiser_1.jpg

That's the model/Colour I saw in the Pub car park, Nice Truck, In that Aussie video he said it only comes in Auto yet the black one in the other video was manual ?

I like them but I would put a diesel D4D engine in it if I owned one . ( hilux and prado )

Those engines can give around 10 litres/100 k ( mine does with aftermarket injectors that were tuned a bit. You can also get better power and economy with a chip and 3 inch exhaust if you feel like customising such an FJ .

Ground clearance at front and rear is better than some vehicles.

Down side ? Internal storage space is crap for long term camping but if you want a tearass weekend tripper , snow bunny pickup bus on trips to the snow or general weekday runabout they could be fun.

Thanks all, and Condor in particular for the detailed rundown.

I've got a Forester at the moment which has been a surprisingly capable car offroad, but it won't live forever given the places I tend to take it so I'm looking at other options for when it comes time to replace it.

I don't usually tow anything and I have managed to fit everything I need into the Subaru, so was steering away from the bigger 4WD's. That doesn't leave a lot to choose from unfortunately, the Wrangler being the other main contender in the size department but they have terrible reviews.

bundyjd said:

I've got a Forester at the moment which has been a surprisingly capable car offroad, but it won't live forever given the places I tend to take it so I'm looking at other options for when it comes time to replace it.

I don't usually tow anything and I have managed to fit everything I need into the Subaru, so was steering away from the bigger 4WD's. That doesn't leave a lot to choose from unfortunately, the Wrangler being the other main contender in the size department but they have terrible reviews.
mate you would be going backwards buying a jeep I would keep the forester

savage bitter said:
bundyjd said:

mate you would be going backwards buying a jeep I would keep the forester

Yeah I know, I had a mate with a Rubicon a few years back that spent a small fortune on offroad mods then just out of warranty the engine blew. Even the "new" Wrangler is getting smashed by motoring writers.

When doing Youtube research on the FJ, keep in mind the following.....

It was first bought into Australia in 2011, however it was released in the U.S. (from memory) in 2008. It ceased being imported to Aus in 2014 (but a year or two earlier in the U.S.)

In the U.S. it was released in 3 models all with the 4lt petrol Prado engine. They were; a 2 wheel drive only version (what a waste), a manual version 4x4 and the top of the line Auto version 4x4.

In Oz it was only released in the top spec 4x4 auto version.

It was made for the American market where they seem to favour gas guzzlers and an aversion to diesel :)

Smoky bandit said:
savage bitter said:
I was going to but my head hits the roof and knees push on the dash...Made for little peoples. :lol:
I ment the prados sorry..:) But then all new cars feel small to me..Hence why I ride :)

Latest posts