Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AngerManagement said:
705 was one of the best for discrimination with $1 and $2 and ignore trash...

NOX - Treat as a PI and you can not go wrong = Dig every thing but try not to leave a mess. So many parks and beaches are looking more like the moon with craters every where.

Thats what I am tending to do. Dig every target.
I don't dig any holes or plugs in parks, I use a probe and a hook and there is no sign I have been there.
Cheers. :Y:

ctxkid said:
goldtrapper said:
Well I took the Nox to the beach to test my new scoop and again on my nox $2 are 21-22. $1 coins even right under the coil go from 21-22-23/22-23? Oh well.
About to read your link Northeast. Thanks.
put it on 50 tones and teach your ears the difference ;) :money:

Ok, I have the goldie setup in Park 1. Will try Park 2 with 50 tones.
Thanks.

Thats what I liked about the explorer was the tones, I could almost tell what was there by the sound. :Y:

Hey Guys,
I honestly don't mean to hijack the thread....

Im new to detecting and plan on hitting the surrounding Byron Beaches when the time is right. I'm semi retired and moved to Mullumbimby with my family 2 years ago.
I'm looking to hook up with someone with some experience who can give me some tips. I have an an Equinox 800..
I have a friend in Croatia that lives off the gold he finds at beaches. He's found kilos of mostly rings, bracelets & earrings over the last 20 yrs.
Thanks and looking forward to some adventures....:)

Sdc stuff looks great :Y:
The Nox ones will hold sand and dirt when wet which will be a pain and will make that 15 inch much heavier.Especially when beach hunting.
Maybe you could make them like the original ones.
The bright colours would be an advantage when using in murky waters.
Well done they look good. :Y:
This is not a dig at you.
Just my thoughts :Y: :beer:

Smoky bandit said:
Sdc stuff looks great :Y:
The Nox ones will hold sand and dirt when wet which will be a pain and will make that 15 inch much heavier.Especially when beach hunting.
Maybe you could make them like the original ones.
The bright colours would be an advantage when using in murky waters.
Well done they look good. :Y:
This is not a dig at you.
Just my thoughts :Y: :beer:

Yeah buddy, that is true, the full piece will only be suited to certain grounds. Not recommended for beach.
For sure mate, the original style ones are available in different colours as per request. Pretty much any colour is available.
I like them in yellow, which is what I am using on mine. I will upload some more photos later.

Rick

goldtrapper would you be able to show a picture of the hook that you are using, I have been trying to work out something like that, went to one oval where a carnival has been for the past 6 weeks, but I have a feeling that they must go over it pretty well before they leave as I thought that there would be coins all over the place and a quick look showed not a great deal, did not want to give the council reasons to get stroppy and it also just across the road from the Police Station, so have to be careful and be able to show nothing to complain about.

Graham

Well god damn that looks mighty fine, yo'll now an' get mommy to say.. yo, yo can go get one

my brother from another mother just went and bought him one, damn! :p

There's another manufacturer of Carbon Fibre shafts for the Equinox as well.
I originally thought they were Australian made but now I'm not sure as the website indicates they are available worldwide
Have a look here www.detect-ed.com

Does anyone know how the nox 800 handles the old timers rubbish on the gold fields around dry blows?

Bits of old tins, rusty peices of steel, dry blow wire

Do all these ring up as negative VDI'S ?

I know I have noticed large flat peices of iron and sheeting can trick the machine.

I have an area I know there is good gold but just so much junk, is it worth putting the zed down and swinging the nox digging all VDI'S 1 and above? Or just walk away to a quieter area and continue with the zed

Rusty iron can , and does confuse it. Especislly if you turn down the iron bias. Do some tests when your there..If you think it's being tricked by large flat pieces of iron and sheeting use the pinpoint button...That will tell you if it's a large or small target.. :) :Y:

Hello,

Not sure if this has been covered. Ive googled and have not been able to find an answer.

Im interested in buying an equinox 800, however Im 64 tall and dont know if I would have issues with detector max length.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Joel

indorat said:
Hello,

Not sure if this has been covered. Ive googled and have not been able to find an answer.

Im interested in buying an equinox 800, however Im 64 tall and dont know if I would have issues with detector max length.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Joel

Yep, I'm 6'4 and plenty of length for me.

Hi guys,

looking for a advice from wiser ones what set up to run on sydney beaches with my nox600 which I got 2 days ago. I noticed that there is lot of background noice when I run it on default settings beach 1. I tried noise cancel too and auto ground balance . Sensitivity is on 20, when I bring it down it gets quieter but I dont want to loose depth. Sometimes I had to bring sensitivity down to around 14. Is there anything that I can set up differently for better performance? I am a bit of new to this. Cheers !

Richard

I used to detect on the Northern Beaches regularly with the sensitivity set to 18-20, try turning up the recovery speed to maximum, on my 800 I'd run it on 6 or 7. Running a faster recovery speed can help reduce EMI.

You really shouldn't need to ground balance on any beaches in Sydney, I never needed to anyway.

My go to settings on the 800 are: Sens 18, Recovery Speed 5, GB on O, and do Auto Noise Cancel. Very rarely need to drop Sens below 18.

Latest posts