You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Harlequin
02 January 2019 11:03 am

Has anyone had success core drilling quartzite? (spelling correction).My portable diamond core drill fInds it tough going.

grumpygold
02 January 2019 11:25 am

what sort is it mate, those cheap electric ones that run off a genny are useless, have burnt out 2 over the years, just cheaply put together, a metabo or aeg should do the trick, if not a petrol powered one would be the next bet. there a few vids on youtube of portable ones being made from old chainsaws which seem to work very well. heres a link to one lots of vids there...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Ns-D7L_ww. thumbsup

gpx 4000 / qed / nokta fors gold /garret carrot / field lab kit / hand core drill kit / auger drill machine / field crushers and dolly pots / sieves to 500 mesh /pans ect.

grumpygold
02 January 2019 11:40 am

one video i seen just had the drill bit connected to chain saw with no water swivel, instead they just used a pressure garden sprayer to supply drill fluid, worked a treat they were drilling in pilbara region too, had a quick look cant find it , have it book marked will try find it later this arvo for you. thumbsup

gpx 4000 / qed / nokta fors gold /garret carrot / field lab kit / hand core drill kit / auger drill machine / field crushers and dolly pots / sieves to 500 mesh /pans ect.

Harlequin
02 January 2019 11:47 am

The drill is a Shaw Backpack diamond core drill - petrol powered. I know that quartzite is extremely hard but I expected it to handle the quartzite easily but that was not the case.

Harlequin
02 January 2019 11:49 am

Thanks for the advice grumpy gold I'll check out your suggestions.

grubstake
02 January 2019 02:03 pm

Harlequin wrote:

The drill is a Shaw Backpack diamond core drill - petrol powered. I know that quartzite is extremely hard but I expected it to handle the quartzite easily but that was not the case.

Looks like you've got a nice piece of gear there: http://www.backpackdrill.com/

Shaw's Field Experiences page shows their drill even being used successfully in jade boulders, which I thought were hard as the hobs of hell, so your difficulties with quartzite are surprising. What sort of penetration rate are you achieving?

Where it is, there it is.

1 user likes this post: grumpygold

Harlequin
02 January 2019 02:55 pm

My Prospect is mostly surface and we are just beginning a drill programme - hopefully within the next month or so. In the meantime I tried out the drill on a slab of quartzite from the site. It ground away but very slowly and used a lot of water. (We have to cart our own water to the site- a huge problem). The core sample was small and in pieces. The drill will go down about 50 feet but I estimate the depth at around 25-30. I use an auger attachmentt ill I reach hard rock, then change to the diamond head. I'm hoping the overburden will be about 3-6 ft.
You're right grubstake, it's a great bit of gear!
You are right again about hardness. Jade is between 6 and 7 and quartzite is 7 so they are roughly the same - bloody hard!

Last edited by Harlequin (02 January 2019 03:25 pm)

3 users like this post: Mackka, grubstake, Ship of fools

grumpygold
02 January 2019 08:32 pm

same here id expect the shaw drill to do the job, maybe a better dearer core bit may help buddy.

grumpygold
02 January 2019 08:34 pm

also are you using a proper drill fluid or just water, this will make a big difference, better lube less heat better cutting. thumbsup

Harlequin
03 January 2019 10:05 am

Thanks for that. When I bought the drill I did not get the advice you give re dill fluid and lubrication but from now on I will follow your advice .Thanks again.

grumpygold
03 January 2019 02:22 pm

Harlequin wrote:

Thanks for that. When I bought the drill I did not get the advice you give re dill fluid and lubrication but from now on I will follow your advice .Thanks again.

no problems mate anything else just ask, we are also starting an auger program through autum , same problem no water have to cart it in, all the best thumbsup

goldierocks
04 January 2019 12:23 pm

grumpygold wrote:

also are you using a proper drill fluid or just water, this will make a big difference, better lube less heat better cutting. thumbsup

And longer bit life, better lifting of ground rock sludge. If it is a real problem and you have a lot of holes to drill, have you considered pre-collaring to above core depth with cheap percussion drilling?

Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Harlequin
08 January 2019 02:11 pm

No - I'm a total novice when it comes to drilling.I spent 2 years researching a particular site,assayed some specimens (2-3g/t) and decided to get a licence and get stuck in. Decided on the Shaw Backpack diamond core drill because it is light, portable and from those who know, the best on the market. But it's not enough to have the site sorted and a top drill to see what's under- you have to know how the ins and outs of drilling. I'm working on it.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site