QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
I myself have been very lax on my comments about the QED. :8
As it stands at the moment,
The QED is a very capable machine.
When I am right I do not and will not back down. :Y:

Times lately for the detecting time have been like hell to find.
I have set my sights on putting it out there for all to see and
in my own, Personal opinion,
The QED to me is a brilliant machine.

Only way to describe the machines capabilities and operation,
It is a prospectors machine.
Not a gadget that does every thing for you.
But do not let that put you off.
Like any piece of equipment, Learn how to use it. I picked up how
to set it up within 20 minutes of use.

And it pinged a target 22 grams at 450 mm deep with a Sadie on it. :cool:

I quite like it. :perfect: :perfect:

"And it pinged a target 22 grams at 450 mm deep with a Sadie on it"

So I've read on another forum that this was a test piece, not found, is that correct?

Tathradj Edit.
Yes, That is correct.
I do not talk about my other real finds in public forums.
I am a big enough target as it is. :awful:

Reg Wilson said:
Some time back I did a test using my GPZ, and QED, accompanied by Bill Schultz (Wombat) at the Coiltek test pad at Lucknow lead Maryborough. Bill had his GPX5000, and we tested all 3 machines. As far as Mbasko's claim about the QED being tweaked up while the other machines being dumbed down, I can assure you, and Bill is my witness, that was not the case. The QED picked out each target as clearly as both the other machines, and on the deeper target was actually better.
All machines were set up so that they were usable off the pad as well as on it. It was possible to tweak up each machine to get a better target response, however that made them nonfunctional for general use in the field. I have now been using a QED for over 2 years, and would not claim to have mastered it in a short period of use.
Reg I never made any claims about any of your testing at all! Full stop.
Your tests aren't/weren't part of the discussion here. In Wombats report he noted at the time (if I'm reading correctly) that each different coil on the QED was fine tuned in order to pick up all targets. No other settings/results for the GPX or GPZ were recorded only that they also picked up the targets except the GPZ Edit: had "trouble" with the last 5.5 ounce one: http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t24672p120-the-qed-and-me#240736
http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t24672p150-the-qed-and-me#240876
I did point out that the latest GPZ testing videos at the test site were done using the same fixed settings only to compare different coils on the GPZ in an effort to show the comparison of those prototype coils to the standard coils - I believe it wasn't set up for optimum target response on the test patch.
Due to the spurious noises the QED makes at the timelines I highlighted I believe IMO that the QED may be set up hotter than you would normally run on that ground in an effort to do a short video showing it getting good target responses there for no other reason than to try to prove something over the latest GPZ/GPX videos there - what I don't know as it proves nothing.
I've got no doubt its been made to counter the GPZ prototype coil vids but completely misses the point of them!

JakeofallTrades said:
Tathradj said:

So I've read on another forum that this was a test piece, not found, is that correct?

I'd like to know that too.
I took it from the post that it was a found 22 gram gold bit.

Mbasko, you have misread the Wombat test. Each coil change on the QED required a Mode change which I trust you understand is necessary to match the coil being used to the electronics. In each case the detector with each coil change was used on and off the test pad to ensure that it was field compatible.
The latest QED test videos had nothing what so ever do do with the Russian coils. I don't know where you got that from. I was invited to be involved with testing of the Russian coils at Maryborough, but could not make it due to family commitments. Davsgold can confirm that. Your sources of information appear to be inaccurate.

Goldtrapper, As far as I am aware there are no immediate plans for a new model QED, however Howard intimated that when time becomes available he would like to develop an auto ground tracking model. He is kept busy for the moment building detectors.

Thanks Reg.
I am guessing that any new advances that are made would be available to be downloaded to previous models?

It would seem that my comments have returned to the clip. Disappeared, and have now reappeared ??!! :/ Apparently only visible when I am logged into my YouTbube account ! :/

Rick

Reg Wilson said:
Mbasko, you have misread the Wombat test. Each coil change on the QED required a Mode change which I trust you understand is necessary to match the coil being used to the electronics. In each case the detector with each coil change was used on and off the test pad to ensure that it was field compatible.
The latest QED test videos had nothing what so ever do do with the Russian coils. I don't know where you got that from. I was invited to be involved with testing of the Russian coils at Maryborough, but could not make it due to family commitments. Davsgold can confirm that. Your sources of information appear to be inaccurate.
Reg, Your tests were only brought into this discussion because you put it in! I couldn't care less about them but you seem to enjoy a bit of push & shove!
Wombat uses the words like "bit of playing around", "reset some of the setting" & "fine tuning" in his report. To me that all points to more than a simple mode change but a change or tuning of a number of settings to achieve optimal set up. I trust you understand that when mode is changed on the QED a number of other settings may also need to be fine tuned for that mode! This fine tuning can indeed be used to benefit on test beds but may not be usable in practice - something you allude to in the same thread:
Reg Wilson said:
while testing we found that an ideal setting over the target did not always provide a usable setting over nearby ground in general, so a compromise had to be reached in such cases. We did the same with the other detectors that were used for comparison.
This is just one reason why test bed results mean SFA! Why not just use the same settings for the nearby ground instead of a "compromise".
Anyway no one mentioned any of it until you did & it's not what we were originally discussing at all.
I see you're allowed back on 4umer - go over there & restart the discussion on your testing again ;)

http://australianelectronicgoldpros...ermarket-for-gpz/msg46369/?topicseen#msg46369
No doubt to me that the QED video was posted after the above discussion (flimsy attempt to warn people off the aftermarket GPZ coils). Good opportunity to slip in a QED vid with favourable results to counter the good results of the GPZ & the aftermarket coils. Discussion on Doug's :poop: forum - video posted by Howard on YouTube after discussion. This is how they've marketed the thing from day dot.
The latest QED test video had nothing to do with the Russian coils you say. Maybe not - or maybe? IMO (in my opinion as stated previously) it does to Doug + his cronies but they don't prove anything & have missed the whole purpose of the GPZ + Russian aftermarket coil tests which was to compare coils not detectors!!!! Can't make it any plainer than that. :Y:

Edit: Also another member on this thread made the discussion about the GPZ/GPX videos not me!! I just joined in the discussion.
Rush said:
grumpygold said:
just came accross this qed video on youtube, must be a newie aint seen it before, not a long video, but very impressive results though

I see that the videos of a GPZ and GPX at the same test site over the same targets show the QED is as capable even more so on the final target that the GPZ and GPX failed to respond too.

Dave79 said:
I've said it before, if you don't like something don't use it and leave the people who do like it alone. :D
We're all entitled to our opinion & some of us have more hours using the QED than some others put together!
Some of us have even found in situ, real, natural gold with it :goldnugget:
It's not that I don't like the QED it's just I find some BS :poop: to hard to swallow.
In fact I always freely recommend it to anyone who can't afford a GPX/GPZ. :Y:

Goldtrapper, not sure about adding auto ground tracking to existing QED. I will discus it with Howard next time we talk and will let you know.

Mbasko, let me state once more: the QED videos had nothing to do with the Russian coils.
The tests held with Wombat were as described and no 'cheating' took place.
If you are only looking for a stir, and trying to bait me.... don't bother, I am not interested. As I have said to Rick in the past, if you wish to pursue insinuations that I am being less than truthful. Let's talk about it face to face.

Reg for whatever reason you are reading me all wrong:
A. You made the discussion about your testing with Wombat not me. I read it as written as can anyone else. Where have I accused you of cheating??? I haven't!!! Different coils required setting up & In your own words you compromised on settings. No big deal there. Whoopity do.
B. I didn't make the QED video about the GPZ/ Russian test coil videos - Rush did. I just responded to say those tests were about comparing the coils nothing else & pointed out other QED sycophants have been comparing them to the QED also. It's BS & proves nothing.
I'm not saying the QED video has anything to do with Russian coils. Merely pointing out others incorrectly are trying to make it be!!

I think you're trying to bait me. It seems to be something you excel at if you think someone may be putting anything remotely negative down about the QED. It's your simple way of keeping things in check it seems. Maybe they are right about you having a vested interest in it?.

Mbasko, there was no veiled physical threat. I'm just sick of people that are keyboard warriors and say things on a forum that they would not say elsewhere.
Seems you are now backpedalling from your original position, and insinuations.
You've made your point about your thoughts on the QED, and you're entitled to them, but going on like a cracked record proves nothing.

Just for your benefit Mbasko. Let me repeat ; I have no vested interest in the QED other that being at the fore front of new detector developments, just as I had no vested interest in Minelab when I tested for them.

mbasko said:
JakeofallTrades said:
Tathradj said:

I'd like to know that too.
I took it from the post that it was a found 22 gram gold bit.

Test piece.
Sorry should have fixed that. :8

The test patch at the bash actually.