Question about the sleeves I keep seeing on peoples boots

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are they called haha? I'm not too familiar with them, are they to keep rocks and bugs out of your boots when prospecting? They seem pretty common so I'm guessing they are worth it.

They're gaiters.
Mostly to keep grass, moisture etc. out of socks/boots but there are some that can also offer a better level of protection against possible snake bite (snake gaiters).
Depending on what detector you're using metal free ones are usually the best bet.

Yep... Gaiters. Many different designs and styles. As mbasko said, they are to keep out all the nasty stuff... burrs, thorns, snakes etc etc.....

1546849339_0012845_quagmire-canvas-gaiters-s.jpg

Try looking for sock protectors at Big W or Bunnings if you're looking for the cotton cloth ones with elastic in the tops. Bazz

The best sock protectors are the oil skin type defiantly value for money, if looked after they will last for years. I looked after mine and had many years of use until my teenage son knocked'em off and lost one then the other :mad: :8

I saw them today in the Men's Shoe/Work-boot area at Kmart... Coles and Woolies sometimes have them too... Or beg somebody to make you some.. Their easy to make.. :Y:

LW...

I have some tailors that work for the same company as I do and they are great and whipping stuff up like that. Thanks a lot guys, I was having a hard time what to call them. I figure I can get some canvas or maybe something lighter like ripstop parachute fabric, not sure exactly yet but I'm sure my guys could do it.

EDIT: I'm not in aus yet so I gotta wait if I want to buy them anyway. I've never even seen them before here in Dubai, not in the states either but I suspect you'd be able to find them somewhere there. Just couldn't figure out what they are called and looked handy for a multitude of reasons. They'd be really nice to have here when I'm out in the mountains, lots of spikey seeds and rocks getting in your boots are a pain.

I saw some gaitors recently that were specifically for protecting bagainst snake bites. Does anybody have these and are they any good?

WatsonWatt said:
I saw some gaitors recently that were specifically for protecting bagainst snake bites. Does anybody have these and are they any good?

My son & I have these snake gaiters. rugged canvas with good synthetic straps & buckles ... no metal
they lap over your boots so if you are wearing lace-ups they provide extra top of foot protection & also help reduce sand & crap falling down into the top of your footwear. they wrap right around your calf.
from Reeds Prospecting (Midvale WA) I think they were about $60-70
1546953598_snake_gaiters.jpg

The ones as illustrated by Northeast are known as 'Sock Savers'. Available at most outdoors stores.

Latest posts