Minelab SD2100 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one i posted in the photo looks new.
Ill hang onto my 2000...much simpler, i like the raw unadulterated pulse induction as Bruce Candy intended.
Thanks all !!!

Hi Folks,

I'm having issues getting the old SD2100 to tune to an acceptable hum (or am I missing something and you can't get an SD2100 to smooth perfect steady hum?)

Standard 2100 (early model with screw driver tune control with 7.3v running both standard Mono and DD coils.

For the life of me I cannot get the warble sound out to a steady hum.

All connections are tight (read here they need to be decent tight with pliers which I have done), tried tuning 20-30-50 turns each way using all of the tricks on the forums (Jonathan Porter's advice) and nothing works.

Even 30kms in the bush miles and miles away from any EMIs, phone off, no planes, helicopters in area, nothing, etc, nothing works. Obviously the warble is better in the middle of nowhere but still not a steady hum.

If you can help in any way that would be great!!!

Using the DD coil and super tight connections has helped a tiny bit still warbling and not a set steady hum though.

Is there anything else I can try out?

The Threshold Control is pretty much a volume control?

Ground balancing on both is perfect, in fact its great to use in high mineralised areas.

The Tune Control is where I am having issues. Even following Jonathan Porter's advice I don't hear any difference in any direction on the 360 deg turns. Rotating the control even 50 turns either way does nothing.

Do I need to very super slowly adjust the tune, more than 50 turns, etc?

The manual says it has 15 turns from one end to the other with a click indicating end of adjustment but I never hear the click.

Sorry for the 20 questions, It's doing my head in to be honest and I'm trying to mentally concentrate on the slight warble hum as a reference point to identify targets and I know I'm missing the good stuff!

Appreciate any advice or other tricks to try out!

If it would be worth sending it to someone then I don't mind but obviously no point in spending good $ on this thing as I'm already saving for a 45.

Sent an email to Minelab and they still service them which is a surprise but just not sure it be worth spending $ on it, or if its even got an issue to be honest!

Could the tune control be broken inside somehow, I do sometimes hear slight changes in the warble when tuning but it never gets to an acceptable hum.

Morning AB,
You may have already read this method? Owned a SD2100 for 10 years and after I came up with this method the preferred coil was the Minelab 18" mono. Already mentioned, more than one disputed whether I could use the mono on the ground we were detecting. Once they had gone for a walk swinging my 2100 they certainly changed their view.
Here you go, the problem you explain will certainly be gone if you persevere with this. (Let me know how you go)

*****For those of you who still swing the 2100 the method below is tried and proven to get the best from your machine. (Came up with this method more than 20 years ago when the the SD210 was the new boy on the block.)

Tuning your Minelab SD 2100:
Firstly you probably HAVE missed many nuggets with your SD "warbling" in your earphones/external speakers. When I now get the slightest variation in the "hum" I scrape off the top layer of rocks, grass etc and if the signal has improved it is usually a small target, hopefully a nugget.
Getting back to tuning:
With the machine turned on and holding it at waist height with base of coil vertical, rotate 360deg, noting which direction the warbling is greatest.
Lay the detector and coil on the ground with the coil tilted up at about 45/60 deg and facing direction of strongest interference.
Place one hand on the box to keep it steady so there are not any false signals (as you can well imagine the 1 & 2 balance positions are not ultimately tuned at this stage) with your other hand using the small screwdriver, slowly rotate the tuning screw clockwise. (At this point it may be easier to remove your back pack and lay it next to the detector) If you haven't achieved any improvement after say 20 rotations clockwise, rotate anticlockwise for 20 rotations (back to starting point) then keep rotating anticlockwise for another 20 rotations. (This pot does not have a "stop" so it may take time.)
You may feel like a bit of a dork out in the middle of nowhere down on all fours with your butt in the air but believe me it is worth the effort.
If you persevere eventually the threshold will become a steady Hummmm! You will only need to readjust if you move to complete new mineralised ground or your machine again becomes unsteady. After you have your machine humming steadily stand up and go through the 1-2 positions of balancing your machine.
At this point it is advisable to select the Tone that most suits your hearing.
Using a small target (shotgun pellet is ideal) scrape a small hole and place target in the hole. Now swing your coil across the target, vary the tone until you get the clearest/ sharpest signal that suits your hearing.
LOW and SLOW and ALWAYS investigate any change in tone no matter how slight, those little grammers soon add up.
Pinpointing your signal:
When a signal is targeted, draw a line through where you think the target is, now step around 90deg and again swing and again draw a line through where you think the target is. Where the two lines cross will be approximately where your target is laying. (After you become confident you will find only imaginary lines are required.)
Coils:
Mono coils have a different target centre to your DD coils, practice with both using previous pinpointing method until you are confident. If the ground is highly mineralised and your machine continually chatters you may need to use your DD coil only.
Tip:
If your signal varies considerably while using the pinpointing method it is quite possible your target is ground noise. (Scrape of the top layer of dirt, the signal should increase if it is a target.) ****

AB, I should have mentioned, the warble in my 2100 ceased somewhere in the 20 clockwise/anti-clockwise rotations. If you don't have any success in this range try 30 rotations and so on. I can not recall the manual stating the pot had a "stop" my experience is it was endless.
Yes, rotate the screw driver VERY slowly.
One prospector used the refill out of a biro and pressed it over the pot shaft so it became external doing away with screwdriver. No problems here using screwdriver during the 10 years of ownership.

Thanks for your help Nightjar, appreciate it!

(EDIT: You answered some of my questions in your second post, missed that post, thanks mate!)

Yep I have switched back to the DD just to try and get this issue sorted for now and the DD is somewhat "slightly" better.

Yes, have read that informative post and have tried that a couple of times to no avail. However, I was only 1 or 2km's away from powerlines in that situation so not sure if the SD would be affected by EMI's at that distance?

As above, have been out in the middle of nowhere a few times, 100% eliminated any EMI's and I couldn't get it to hum, however didn't try your method just played with the tune control 20 times each way and no joy.

Interesting though is you mention the pot does not have a stop but the manual says it has a 15 turn only with a click so I'm a little confused here?

Obviously this is a second hand unit so would it be possible that previous owner(s) have turned the pot a million times and completely thrown it out perhaps and I need to adjust it 100 times in both directions to see what happens or is 20 each way suffice?

Two questions below if you can help in any way that would be greatly appreciated!

1) I need to get out in the middle of nowhere again and give your sound method above another good crack. This might be a stupid question but should I try the method above but spend a good half hour turning the pot a hundred times each way to see if I can find a good spot or go very very slowly waiting for a change, etc, this confuses me? Can you throw the tune out 100 times in one direction, etc?

2) This might be a how long's a piece of string question but is 1 or 2km's away from houses/powerlines enough to eliminate EMI's, would you expect an SD to hum only 2km's from civilisation or to truly eliminate any local EMI's and expect a smooth hum I need to test further out 5km's plus, etc?

I guess it depends on what you call a steady hum. The 2100's were never rock solid stable, they always had a slight warble. If you bought it used, then I would send it to Minelab for a check up, at least you will then know it is working to spec.

AB it does sound unusual that you cant get a steady hum anywhere. My SD2100 is usually pretty good, although on odd occassions it warbles a bit.
Try suggestions as stated by Nighjar. that method works very well. Your tuning pot may be non-functional, so if the problem persists it might pay to get it looked at.
Im currently getting Mods done to to 'modernise & up-spec it' mine a bit anyway.

Thanks everyone, I think I have been a bit gun-ho on the old tuning side I hope, I'll head bush soon and spend time having a proper go and let you all know.

I have an old video I took to show a mate but the sound is awfully quiet, I'll take a better sound clip and see what the gurus here think.

Ok, looks like I need 10 posts...I'll show it another time I guess.

Morning AB,
Well I never, the manual (pge 10) does quote 15 turns and a "click", in all the 10 years I owned mine there was never a click. (And my hearing was pretty good when the 21 was released)
The best I can describe the warble to smooth without sounding ridiculous, is;
With machine on the ground, held steady, turn pot VERY slowly.
Rapid, whow, whow whow's will change to continuous uurmmmm.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4759/Instruction Manual SD2100_Scan.pdf

Nenad, You have certainly had more involvement with Minelab than me, but I can assure you my 2100 ran VERY smooth for most of the time. Rarely did I ever resort to the DD coil, small and large Mono's only. As already mentioned more than one prospector I met out there rigged up with my machine as was amazed how smoothly it ran. So much so one even bet me a carton of beer. Sure enjoyed sipping that. :perfect: O:) :D

I'm sure you have 100s of more hours behind a 2100 than I ever did mate!
When I owned my first 2100 I was at uni, and could hardly afford petrol to get to classes, so goldfield trips were a rare treat. I spent most of my detecting time in those days hitting the local beaches with a Sovereign. The occasional productive patch would get a once over with the 2100.

I found the 2100 smoother than both the SD2000 and SD2200D which is why it remains my favourite SD model. But when the GP's came out, that was another level of smooth, particularly when the coil switch was in E(mono). In DD, it was a little bit stuttery, sort of like an SDC2300 threshold on low sensitivity.

In the hills here where you get a lot of variable EMI, and in Vic to a lesser degree, I found myself tuning the 2100 all the time. This was the only slight annoyance with them. I used to have a small screwdriver pushed into the cable strain relief, but one day when in some thick scrub a long way from the vehicle, the wobbles started, and I reached back for the screwdriver and it wasn't there!! That put that session to an abrupt halt :(

The 2100e had the tune pot external, which you could adjust with a fingernail, and then the 2100v2 had a proper external knob.

Funny about the manual mentioning 15 turns, in the video it says 10 turns. But regardless, you are 100% right, and spending the time to get this right made a big difference.

Totally agree, the SD2100 would be right up there with one of the best through the range.
The screwdriver rarely came out of my bumbag.
During this time with 21 and the 18" Mono there was an annoying period with the wobble. Had my pick hanging of the left hip and I finally realised when swung wide to the left was when the interference was most noticeable. Hung the pick over my shoulder problem solved for the time being.
Later I made up a removable aluminium pick holder that clipped on to harness high up on my chest. This method of carrying the pick has remained until this day, with the 3500, 4000 & 4500. That is about to change. ;)
99% of the gold was in the top 150mm so a large pick wasn't necessary. If a deep one was found a short walk back to the ute to retrieve the heavy artillery solved that problem.

AB, Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Going through some old folders to see what I had on the 2100 and there I found Nightjar's instructions, Hahahahaha.
Obviously copied them of a forum in times gone by.
I wonder which one it was, Finders perhaps?

Well bugger me you are right Nightjar!

Its a bit hard for me to get out often being full time single dad but I live on 11 acres so went for a quick walk down the back and slowly very very slowly turned the pot.

Eureka!

Still had slight warble but Im close to powerlines etc, definitely a difference and confident Ill get it working better out bush.

Ill be heading out next weekend and will let you know.

Im kicking myself now as I have been persevering with this for months and know Ive missed some gold damn it!

Tempted to now go back over my old areas, embarrassing!!!

Definitely no click on mine either but after the 15 or so turns it wasnt doing anything so back 15 and very very slow adjusting. I cant believe after all this time! I was going too fast!

Redfin said:
Going through some old folders to see what I had on the 2100 and there I found Nightjar's instructions, Hahahahaha.
Obviously copied them of a forum in times gone by.
I wonder which one it was, Finders perhaps?

That's a definite NO, probably every forum barring that one if that is Doug's you are referring too.

AB, Great to hear you had some success, I know from past experience this was a definite winner with my 2100. (Without the click)
It would appear that during the production two different type of pots were used?
One wonders how many gave up not being able to smooth their 2100 and either sold it or worse, walked away from our wonderful hobby?

Hi Guys,

I tried searching through the forum but couldn't quite pinpoint what I needed. I also found some forum sections from google that i thought i sent a reply post too but cant find it now. not sure what happened.

I just have a few questions and sorry for repeating something if this has already been covered. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Battery mod: I'm looking to change from the SLA type battery to a lightweight portable power. Ive read and seen people modifying the Sony NP-F970 type batteries. Is there a DIY thread on this?.
Also what are the safe voltages to run with the SD2100. I have seen a few battery packs that are 7.4v. will all battery mods stepping away from the SLA 6v battery require a battery voltage regulator?

Signal Booster Is this a must with the SD2100? - any info on brands or if anyone is selling theirs?

Any other useful information I might need to know.

Thanks guys! :perfect: :D

Latest posts