Fisher Gold Bug 2 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noisy, after a while you basicaly can pick the tone pitch, metal will give off a crisp sharp pitch signal, some hots will give off a duller double echo typo pitch. The name bug descibes it really well in warm areas, sounds like a bug buzzing on and off sniffing, you can turn down the sensitivity a bit to soften it, and some ground 100% sensitivity with little noise. I do remember the seller from vic saying they weren't that common in vic. They do run at around 73khz, compared to say average I think of 20khz of most vlf's.
Should be called a mineral detector! The coil can pick up the minerals etc just off your hand under the coil.
The cook left it out in an inch of rain one night!!!
I didnt say a word to her really..... counted to 1000 in disbelief. Took the batteries out, left it on the dashboard to dry. Fired up fine. Lucky for her! Ha
there was one going for sale in the selling section in this forum.
If you can pick one up second hand, I would. Scratches give away the best hint of use.

You can get a brand new Gold Racer for $975. Handles mineralised soils much better than the Bug2 and has a target ID readout which comes in handy. With one of the smaller coils running in boost it's every bit as sensitive as the Bug2 as well.

Or for $1100 - Gold Monster, 2 coils, rechargeable batteries, auto tracking and auto Sens.

I'd only consider using a Bug2 on totally non mineralised soils like white pipe clay. Anything else and the manual GB quickly becomes a pain.

thanks mate.i think its too early yet to know if it will be any good will wait for some more tests here in aussie

Very true! Same opion. The larger coil im interested in getting is for the cook.
More so for relic hunting.
So annoying watching her attempt to dig holes with a pick but.
:lol:

Id love to get hold of a 3x6.5 to try roughly how much would a second hand one go for.

stewart said:
Id love to get hold of a 3x6.5 to try roughly how much would a second hand one go for.
Might be abld to help you out soon.
Cause my mate left my unit out in a inch of rain!
If it fails the repair testing, I will let you know. The coil should be totally fine.
Had to count to 100 when I saw it the next morning!

mudgee hunter said:
stewart said:
Might be abld to help you out soon.
Cause my mate left my unit out in a inch of rain!
If it fails the repair testing, I will let you know. The coil should be totally fine.
Had to count to 100 when I saw it the next morning!

Oh man that would be devastating, I know its not a SDC or a 5000 but still a great little machine. I hope u can get it dried out and working again though. :cool:

Hey all

So I'm off to the US to see a rock concert in a few weeks and after lots of research, I am buying a Fisher Gold Bug - Combo over there. All up with State Taxes etc, I will save around 35% of the Australian retail cost, and I'm going there anyway so why not!

Looking at lots of interwebs and facetube sites, it seems the Gold Bug is pretty much on par with the minelab GPX for sensitivity, discrimination and penetration.

I know there's a lot of people using minelab gear - but I'm not willing to drop $3-5K just yet unless I see some ROI on the Gold Bug. I was very interested in the fact that the Garrett 1140680 AT scored close behind the Minelab GPX 5000 as the best overall detector on a couple of the interwebs I read ( here's one: expertofequipment.com/best-metal-detectors-for-gold/)

Also as this is a new venture for me, my previous stated budget needs sticking to so after the Gold pro is bought, I will be able to afford a few things I never initially budgeted for to make life a little easier.

Watching an episode of Aussie Gold Hunters last night, I noticed that one of the fossickers had what looked like a converted camel back to chest mount her GXP. Was I seeing things or do you guys know if this is a common/regular mod?

Also if anyone has first hand experience on the Fisher gold detectors, i'm very interested in your comments.

Gordon