Blackwood panning results

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirrors

😎
Reaction score
1539426089_a1c5cd75-ab4a-4061-b852-331880f04764.jpg

Brother and I panning in Blackwood on a river in Victoria

That is a great sight! Back in September, my brother and I went scratching and panning a few klms further east from there in Saltwater Creek for several hours and didn't get a single speck. All the indicators were there but no gold. Plenty of quartz and ironstones and clay. We tried several spots on a length of 250 mts.

Hi,

Took the family out on a day trip to Blackwood/Trentham yesterday. Weather was beautiful and it was good to see some green in the fields driving up (been very dry last few times Ive driven through). Went down to Whipstick Creek and did some panning. Was good to see my little 10 y/o tacker having a go. Plenty of slow flowing water, but not enough to sluice :N:

Anyway, found a spot that looked promising - a gully running down from Butchers line of reef and joining Whipstick Creek. Plenty of small gravel bars..... but unfortunately no gold. Even tried my hand at some crevicing - nudda. Funny thing is - Whipstick Creek is quite sandy, whereas the gully running down the hill was gravelly with no sand. Thought that was strange as most of the creeks in Blackwood dont carry any sand from what have seen - all very rocky and gravelly. Anybody got any thoughts about that? Where would the source be for all that sand? I initially thought it may have come from the Permian glacials further south, but looking at the parish map, the sub-basaltic wash from Green Hill is more likely. What do you reckon?

Andrew (AK47)

freemedia said:
That is a great sight! Back in September, my brother and I went scratching and panning a few klms further east from there in Saltwater Creek for several hours and didn't get a single speck. All the indicators were there but no gold. Plenty of quartz and ironstones and clay. We tried several spots on a length of 250 mts.
Try lerderderg river
Go over the obriens crossing and up the hill about 300 metres
Then walk down to the river
Its a bit steep but anywhere from that spot to a kilometre upstream
You will pan gold

I think you had better check with Parks Vic before you do any panning or prospecting in the lerderderg gorge as it is a no go area and has been for many years.
Always check first that way there can be no reason for miss understanding conditions that prevail.

Latest posts