jewellery on the beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't usually advertise my finds of anything due to a drama one of my daughters had a couple of years ago with a found item, but given the incentive by members posts on here, I thought I'd share this one, as its very nice.
I think it may be 9ct but not sure yet if the stones are amethyst or glass. I will get a jeweller to take a look at it & get it fixed.
I took my trusty Xterra705 fishing with me (as I occasionally do), & between stints catching SFA, I took a swing along the dry sand.
After a couple of modern coins, a couple of sinkers & several beer cans, I pulled this up from a few inches down.
Ass Covering Note: If anyone wishes to try to claim it they will need to accurately describe the loose pendant (removed) that was still on it & the area it was in. (altho' I don't think many on this forum would have been out where I was).
1546740407_bracelet_1.jpg

Good find.
If you took them to the cop shop and logged them they would be legally yours when not claimed and no on could do anything.

Ded Driver said:
I think it may be 9ct but not sure yet if the stones are amethyst or glass.

The easiest test is to check whether the various linking loops are welded or just a circle of wire with the two ends pressed together. Gold jewellery invariably uses welded links, as it is a relatively soft material and insecure otherwise. There should also be a carat statement somewhere, often on the clasp.

grubstake said:
Ded Driver said:

The easiest test is to check whether the various linking loops are welded or just a circle of wire with the two ends pressed together. Gold jewellery invariably uses welded links, as it is a relatively soft material and insecure otherwise. There should also be a carat statement somewhere, often on the clasp.

yep, loops are butt end welded joints. On close inspection it has a lot of scratch marks & it is quite gold in colour. The photo has made the colour paler than real life.
cant find a hallmark.
the number on the clasp is really tiny but clear 9252/10375
anyone have any idea how that decodes?
could it be 92.52% silver plated with 10.375% gold ?

Ded Driver said:
grubstake said:
Ded Driver said:

yep, loops are butt end welded joints. On close inspection it has a lot of scratch marks & it is quite gold in colour. The photo has made the colour paler than real life.
cant find a hallmark.
the number on the clasp is really tiny but clear 9252/10375
anyone have any idea how that decodes?
could it be 92.52% silver plated with 10.375% gold ?

I think that code represents sterling silver, plated with a 10 micron layer of 9 carat gold (from memory, sterling = 92.5% silver and 9ct = 37.5% gold).

Latest posts