Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks blackdiamond!

Had my first proper detect with a mate on the weekend and 4 hours never flew by so quick!

We found our fair share of ring pulls, random metal objects and a number plate of all things!

Already looking forward to trip 2

I never run my 705 in All Metal. It is pointless. It just sounds off constantly on trash. They have great discrimination and are a fantastic coin shooting detector. They work even better with an aftermarket coil too.

1968falconxt said:
I never run my 705 in All Metal. It is pointless. It just sounds off constantly on trash. They have great discrimination and are a fantastic coin shooting detector. They work even better with an aftermarket coil too.

Instead of all metal do you use the 1 setting?

I programmed the discrimination to suit my desire to only hunt modern coins. So I discriminate all numbers except for 20, 24, 26, 30, 32, 34. That covers 20c, 50c, $1 & $2 coins

hey TV Mick, they're a nice little unit. I love mine. best way to start is turn it on :lol: then read, read & re-read the book & play with the settings until you understand how each works & what it does. Go around your yard & dig up all the crap everyone has ever lost there.
Then buy a 15" coil in whichever frequency you need for whatever you're chasing (3.0 7.5 or 18.75kHz). The big coil covers a lot of ground compared to the standard coils that come with it.
Bury some different objects at an inch or 2 & practise identifying the Target ID & using the Discrimination bar graph. All covered in the book, plus utube it
start here & follow on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVUnKpKc-Ys
have fun :Y: :playful:

Hey Ded Driver,

Thanks for the advice, will mainly chasing little nuggets :poop: though would also like to pick up old coins etc from abandoned mines etc.

Tv Mick

They are not great for gold. Fantastic on coins though. And the 15" coils are a great coil except you need a big forearm and bicep as it makes the detector so nose heavy that it can be unbearable to use for long periods. I bought a MARS 13"x10" and it is a much better weight.

1968falconxt said:
I programmed the discrimination to suit my desire to only hunt modern coins. So I discriminate all numbers except for 20, 24, 26, 30, 32, 34. That covers 20c, 50c, $1 & $2 coins

Those numbers also include some gold.

Good set of mumbers to use imo.

There was a guy on here called SAbogan I think. He made a couple of vids on the xterra that were great for beginners.
Just look for SAbogan on you tube and youll find them

Had a quick detect today - sometimes Ill hit a target and it will initially read as 32 or so, then when in pinpoint mode the ID can jump around rapidly. Going from 32, to 44, and -8 sometimes too. Im assuming this would just be junk?

kitchdog said:
Had a quick detect today - sometimes Ill hit a target and it will initially read as 32 or so, then when in pinpoint mode the ID can jump around rapidly. Going from 32, to 44, and -8 sometimes too. Im assuming this would just be junk?
never assume ;)

found some good coins digging unstable id's :cool:

Iron can cause ID numbers to jump wildly, though as ctxkid mentioned, you will gain more knowledge on yor detector if you just dig targets that you are unsure about.

no this thread has been done before look back and you will find heaps on the subject 705 is a relic machine not a gold machine

Woooo Savage Bitter the X-terra 705 is a very capable gold detector and I have found more gold with it than I had when I owned my gpx4000. Now I hunt with 705, gold monster and gpx5000. Nuggetz01 if you go to detectorprospector forum by steve herschbach you can pull up alot on the 705. It is not the greatest for very high mineralization but if you learn it inside and out it will be one you will never want to sell.

Hi all, I am looking at getting this detector and was just wanting to know if it is any good, I do have the garrett Ace 150 which I had to learn on but I know longer use it and was looking to upgrade.

TIA