Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goltzy75 said:
Hi All.
Looking to sell my gpx4000.
Just wanting to know what they would be worth at the moment.
Any help would be great.
Cheers.
I agree with Reg mate keep it.
My 3 ouncer was 2 feet down and it was a good unmistakable target signal, i knew it was gold. My armpit was on the edge of the hole when i reached down to pick it up.

I use a 4000 and have found a .44 gram at about 3 inches.But sorry cant remember which coil i was using .I would expect there are many variables to take into account but smaller and deeper would be possible

I've found 0.2 gram & possibly smaller (been a few years) with an older SD series detector with booster so don't imagine the 4000 would have trouble with that size in a lot of circumstances.
Like aussiefarmer says there are a lot of variables that will affect sensitivity to small gold like ground, settings, coil used etc. & most importantly the operator/s.
I see you have a Coiltek 6" coil which will get small bits but can get overwhelmed by very mineralised ground. In NSW you should be ok using sensitive smooth though.
You can use small lead shot bits or get some subgram gold to test with. IMO the best testing is getting out on the ground & if you're picking up bird shot etc. then there's no reason you won't get small gold if you swing over it.
Edit: also see you have an Equinox 800. If the grounds not too bad that might be a better option? Leave a bigger coil on the 4000 for bigger/deeper bits. :Y:

They will find .1g in sens smooth or extra. Depends more on the coil than the detector. My father finds plenty of sub .2g with his 4000 and 14" elite. I've found a couple smaller than .05g with my 4500 and 11" elite, the 4000 shouldnt be far behind that.
With an 11" mono you would be able to play around with shot gun pellets for testing.

Anyone have any experience with the Coiltek 9" Elite or 11" Elite coils on a GPX 4000?

I read in a couple places that they might run too sensitive for the 4000 to cope in hot ground... Any input would be great.

I don't have any first hand experience, but from past experience, I know the 4000 only has Sens Smooth, which is less sensitive than Enhance on the 4500, so I would think any of the super sensitive flat winds should work well on the 4000.
One of my customers put a 12x8" Evo on the 4000 and loves it.

PhaseTech said:
I don't have any first hand experience, but from past experience, I know the 4000 only has Sens Smooth, which is less sensitive than Enhance on the 4500, so I would think any of the super sensitive flat winds should work well on the 4000.
One of my customers put a 12x8" Evo on the 4000 and loves it.

Good to know, thanks

I use a 14 elite on my 4000 goes good ,some hot ground now and then does make it a little unstable but not intolerable .My coil is an older one, sometimes gets a bit heavy but i find it to be a good coil .

lordo.1 said:
I use a 14 elite on my 4000 goes good ,some hot ground now and then does make it a little unstable but not intolerable .My coil is an older one, sometimes gets a bit heavy but i find it to be a good coil .

Also very good to hear, since I actually just ordered the 14" elite from Minersden.

How's it go on sub gram stuff? .2 .4 .6 ish stuff? get a lot of that size gold down this way. (nsw)