Beach / Sand Scoops - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having dragged a heavy beach scoop around in water found it bloody annoying so hence forth took my Alvey bait pump out of the boat and gave it a new job (dont use it much in SA) Its now my beach scoop(Only usable in wet sand or water) Its easy to carry and quick.Along with that i drag a small inner tube with a pot plant base attached with cable ties(Available from Bunnings-use the small inner tube)Bait pumps are made by Wilson as Alvey has now closed but are probably still available at tackle shops SEE PHOTOS ATTACHED
1513383316_img_1074-1.jpg

1513383316_img_1075-1.jpg
:cool:

Happy New Year everyone!
Can anyone assist with helping me buy a beach sand scoop in the greater Adelaide please? I've tried Miners Den, but they are sold out. I need one ASAP. I am contactable on xxxxxxxxx. Regards, Peter

Moderator edit: Phone Number deleted per forum rules. Members can contact you via email, using the EMAIL button below your name.

Mirrors said:
Delete your number they aren't allowed
Try Bunnings in the garden section and drill some holes in it
;)
I think mirrors means the plastic shovel, a large scoop that you cut down and drill a series of holes so you can then sieve the sand through, thats what I use.
Its light and doesnt upset the detector.
Matt T

Hi all,

I was looking for the Raptor set of handles (in particular the T handle, not so much the triangle shaped one) for my sand scoop, but no luck it seemed everyone is out of stock.

Can anyone suggest either where I can source one or an alternative.

Any help here is Much appreciated :Y:

Sandta said:
Fibreglass shovel handle from bunnings :perfect:

I agree. I got sick of breaking handles so I replaced it with fibreglass.
About 5 years ago I went to Bunnings with a vernier gauge looking for a handle with a 32mm OD. There was a cheap line of shovels branded Ironbark at the time and they had fibreglass / composite handles of the right diameter. Bought a long handled one and cut the head off it. Its a hollow handle with internal bracing and incredibly strong yet light. Ive levered rocks out with it and watched with concern as the stainless scoop was flexing but the handle didnt look like breaking.

Shortly I'll be in the hunt for a Stainless Sand scoop I can attach a handle to. I don't want those large ones, something around 150mm at the mouth and strong enough to support a foot pushing at the back of it, so it has to be reinforced. Wanting to know what's out there that is good quality at a reasonable price. Any members make them? If so post some photos and price?

Mick

I love these scoops - various sizes and a Queensland company - https://sitoscoop.com/. I got a great timber handle for mine from bunnings then added some raptor handles as per the pics below for shaking out the sand.

1563189360_143b6232-d2ec-4aa9-a42e-d7b54a572e65.jpg

1563189337_c9fba1f0-e774-4dbe-9048-6f8073125a57.jpg

SITO SCOOPS Well recommended

Come in a couple of sizes well made and fair price
available In Australia you dont get shafted on shipping price

Had mine for a few years now No problems whatsoever

Check out their website

Looks very strong, but I need a scoop only so that when I go on a plane I can purchase a handle at my destination, then when I'm done leave the handle behind. I'm thinking the Sita scoop at this stage

Mick

Mick I got my handle from Bunnings, the SITO scoop has one screw that you can remove when you want to take off the handle. A good timber handle cost me $14.99.

Latest posts