Where to begin ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening to you all. Just introducing myself.

Like a few others, i have been reading a lot of topics and read a lot of posts with interest on here for a while now and thought i would finally join up.

I had been prodding around with an old groundhog VLF for years and " upgraded " to an infinium PI a couple of years` ago .It was the best i could afford at the time and have not found the yellow ,yet, but picked up plenty of relics. More time in the field is my problem and life is so busy these days i don`t often take the opportunities to go walking in the bush , which i should. One day i will get an SDC2300 or similar ,but still hope to get gold with the infinium in the meantime.

My plan next year is to detect , try sluicing and do some panning. The Ballarat area is my stomping ground with plenty of places to go, but just have to go out and do it. Got the maps,got the miner`s right,got the basic gear ,just need the time and enthusiasm.

I bought a White`s pinpointer a couple of years` back and was very impressed with it. Very sensitive and works well. I found a t-bar from a fob watch about a foot down in the earth with the detector and honed into it with the pinpointer. Covered up the hole, showed someone the t-bar and they told me to go back and find the rest of the fob watch. Went back a week later and the hole was filled in that good, i couldn`t find it again. Ah ,well.
Plan on building one of those fluid sluices ,too. Looks like a fun way to get gold.
One other thing i found useful is the earth magnet i have attached to my pick. I have never found so much fence wire in the ground in my life !!!!

Look forward to chatting with you all in the future.

Welcome to PA.
You're certainly in the right place to find gold!
Good luck!
Cheers,
Megsy

Hello I love looking for coins and interesting bits of stuff i enjoy reading about members finds . I have a 30 30 had it for a year now and still on the learning curve Ilive in the mallee so no gold here not that i have found any yet

Mackka said:
You will find something Roundtuit when you get around to it.
Mackka
1546049389_1491600077_round_to_it.jpg

Thanks, everyone.

I have probably spent more time researching old mines and walking through local tunnels than prospecting. A few of the places i used to go exploring ,but not prospecting are now either on private property , nature reserves or very overgrown and will be dangerous to get to with snake season upon us.

I will wait until the weather cools down before i go out again.

Hi Foz. Have you been out yet, good see joined up, Will catch up, when Im back in Ballarat, Pa has my SDC Thinking their using at The farm You know where. Yandiot

Gidday , Mark.

Went out yesterday to snake valley ,but the roads into the bush have been closed off ,so i shot back to smythesdale ,with no luck and had a go at scarsdale , only finding a very old bullet shell and plenty of scrap metal. Might go out again in the next day or two.
I have been over the farm with the detector and i can tell you it goes berzerk. There is that much old iron buried from all the buildings that were there decades ago,that the detector doesn`t shut up. Even the old shafts are full of rubbish.

Go back to work next week, so we`ll have to work out a weekend sometime.

Cheers,

FOZ

Just show me where and i`ll be there in a flash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good stuff. Well done. The hard work is paying off.

FOZ

How much rain did Ballarat have in past three weeks. Dont want leave the Prado again over night bogged to the ass

Latest posts