Has anyone found a 1930 Penny?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flowerpot

Kerrie
Reaction score
I have heard of a young fella in Ballarat going out with his Dad when they first bought the Nox 800 and the lad found a 1930 penny, I dont know how true that is?
Wondering if anyone on the forum has had the joy of finding such a valuable coin?

Did not hear of that but you would be over the moon to pull a 1930 penny hopefully if its true condition was not too bad as pennies dont like being in the ground

It is the most counterfeited coin around I reckon

There is a few posts on the coin on here I think

Only one I know of found with a detector was in the late 90s

It was in the ocean near Frankston

It was in very poor condition

The guy sold it at auction for about $7000

Actually passed away about 6 weeks ago .

RIP Jack

I found a really old chinese coin once up around Captians flat. Very worn so stupidly i just threw it in the back of the ute. Never to be seen again. :awful: (No google search back then!)
Im Pretty sure it had a square hole in the middle.

Anyway. I've never found a 1930 detecting but now I know their worth I'll be keeping an eye out that's for sure.

Smoky bandit said:
His Ummm........ son Savage bitter is on here :p :p ..He has some as well.Im sure he will be here soon :Y:
yes my dad has a few of them in his coin collection and there is no hmmmm he is my dad

and before anyone comments about them they are all certified buy 2 coin collectors and the coin mint he has been offed a insane amount of money for them

Trash said:
It is the most counterfeited coin around I reckon

There is a few posts on the coin on here I think

Only one I know of found with a detector was in the late 90s

It was in the ocean near Frankston

It was in very poor condition

The guy sold it at auction for about $7000

Actually passed away about 6 weeks ago .

RIP Jack
i was actualy at phil stearnes home in adelaide, were he ran the gold mining centre from home, that very bad condition coin your talking about was offered to phil whilst i was there picking up my new infinium and extra coils. small small world.

You would have to be lucky to find one - they were never released into circulation, so only the few in the mint existed. There are believed to be six of these held by collectors.

There are only 6 Proof 1930 Pennies were minted but over 1200 circulation pennies were minted to be given out to people attending the mint in 1930. Not that rare when you look at the total available to collectors. The 1920 Sydney Sovereign only 7- 9 were minted and each coin is worth close to $900,000 AUD.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes... we have. Only its it pretty terrible condition. I sent some photos to an online coin seller - one of the big ones- who were not very friendly but wanted to see pictures. His response was - I dont know what that is but it has no value-.

While the date is hard to see by pictures it is visible in real life.

Where should I go from here? Pretty new to it all and was so excited to find a coin, didnt expect it to be worth anything. I cant seem to find much concrete info online about whether it could be worth something and it seems like the only option is to travel to a major city to get it valued which would be difficult time and a big expense if it turns out not to be of value due to the condition.

Im fairly certain it wont be a fake as its so clearly been in the ground for a very long time.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Hi Charles, sounds exciting.

When you get a few more posts up, maybe you you share a photo or two.

Would love to have a peek, even if it is in bad shape.

Charlesdance said:
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes... we have. Only its it pretty terrible condition. I sent some photos to an online coin seller - one of the big ones- who were not very friendly but wanted to see pictures. His response was - I dont know what that is but it has no value-.

While the date is hard to see by pictures it is visible in real life.

Where should I go from here? Pretty new to it all and was so excited to find a coin, didnt expect it to be worth anything. I cant seem to find much concrete info online about whether it could be worth something and it seems like the only option is to travel to a major city to get it valued which would be difficult time and a big expense if it turns out not to be of value due to the condition.

Im fairly certain it wont be a fake as its so clearly been in the ground for a very long time.

Any help or advice much appreciated.
It needs to be a commonwealth 1930 penny...Not a roo penny.Just incase you didn't know. :) And yes mate we need a picture :Y:

1579562842_img_0142.jpg

This is the worse side.

Latest posts