You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

dbooth
26 December 2018 04:48 pm

We own a block of land in Victoria which used to be a goldfield back in the 1860s. I am trying to rehabilitate the land ( fill in the sinkholes etc) but would obviously want to detect the dirt I shift to offset the cost ( and find giant nuggets ha ha). I have a miners right but it specifies hand tools only. Can I legally prospect the material I move or remove to fill in the holes? Do I need any further paperwork or permissions?

Swinging & digging
26 December 2018 04:50 pm

Prospecting Licence required.

dbooth
26 December 2018 05:25 pm

What is a prospecting licence? I have never heard of it. Is it obtained from DELWP?

Feral
26 December 2018 05:57 pm

From what I understand of the regs, your on your own property so don't need a license.

So Many Toys, So Little Time
XP Deus, Whites TDI OZ Pro, GPX 4500 and maybe a Nox maybe

Swinging & digging
26 December 2018 06:10 pm

Mining with Heavy earth moving equipment YOU DO REQUIRE a licence!
Prospecting Licence is the smallest and cheapest fit for that purpose.
Inquire at DEWLP.

1 user likes this post: goody2shoes

Rockhunter62
26 December 2018 06:23 pm

If it was me and I was rehabilitating my land, I would fill the holes in layers, a bit one day then walk over it the next day with your detector while it was settling.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

1 user likes this post: goody2shoes

RM Outback
26 December 2018 07:40 pm

Your a lucky man thumbsup you could just spread out the dirt and leave it to settle for a while then detect it, can't see any reason why you can't. Whereas if you process it as you move it then you might find yourself in a spot of bother if questioned and as stated you would need a licence. As far as I know there's no definitive guidelines to say it can't be moved /spread out and no similar guidelines to say once it's been done and left for a while it can't be detected. Once you've done it if you choose to do it then leave it for a while longer and then push it in to the holes.

Grey is grey and only varies in shade according to someone's opinion.

2 users like this post: Rockhunter62, goody2shoes

goldtruck59
26 December 2018 08:07 pm

Rockhunter62 wrote:

If it was me and I was rehabilitating my land, I would fill the holes in layers, a bit one day then walk over it the next day with your detector while it was settling.

Cheers

Doug

You would then have fence jumpers and moonlighters as nothing ever goes unnoticed as unfair as It is. Good luck with it anyway and hope there a few nuggets still there.

GT smile

PX Ranger Super Cab , GPX5000, Dog called Nugget, wife called boss.
From Near Bendigo

3 users like this post: RM Outback, goody2shoes, Rockhunter62

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site