Walhalla

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are heaps of creeks in the area that are worth having a look
the key is research, look where the old mines where and the creeks that flow around them
like goodfellows creek
that valley has 5 old mines in it
and all the small valleys meet up and run the creek
although this time of year there may no be a lot of water, unless you have had some rain in the last few days
The Thompson is on the exemption list, but a lot of the creeks that feed it are ok

XIV

Thanks for the reply
My mate ran into a couple of guys panning in a creek just out of Walhalla that had plenty of gold in their pans
aparently near a toilet block just out of town

We got some nice chunky gold near Harriotville on the weekend

Regards

Dirty Harry

I read only yesterday about someone who pulled 11 ounces from what sounds like the same spot (near the toilet block) in Walhalla...could well be ur mate lol But isnt that Stringers that runs through Walhalla?

y4k

I heard about a good amount of gold coming out but 4 ounces is awesome
I think it is Stringers Creek
Best i get there to check it out

Regards

Dirty Harry

Only reason i ask is because ive seen Stringers on the 'dont go' list, upon reading about the 11 ounces my first thought was to head up there and try my luck. Am unsure how long ago they found it but im guessing it was awhile as i imagine Stringers has been on the list for several yrs...

Yes stringers creek is on the exempted list
but there is 2 places there that is ok for panning only
there are plenty of other creeks that have good gold in them, that are ok to run a highbanker
Goodfellow
Longfellow
littlejohn creek
even happy-go-lucky
try and find some old maps on the area, the biggest thing to do is pin point an area, try your luck, prospect an area, move on and try elsewhere
when you find a few good spots do a full week there

Tks XIV,
Probably a silly question and without a doubt in the wrong section lol but u seem like a man in the know so ill ask here...was just reading up on a few others posts of regulations, do and donts etc etc and when u mentioned highbanker it got me wondering as to why if u arent allowed to use mechanical devices to prospect are u able to use pumps to feed sluices?...im pretty sure i knew the answer before i asked but ive been wrong before....many times, im assuming they mean for the purposes of extracting from the ground, excavation etc?

Yes you are right
you can run a pump to transfer water
as long as the water runs back to the creek
and the pump is not used to remove gravels
cheers

For what it's worth, I was up at Walhalla today and asked about this incident. Apparently the perpetrators have been reported to the authorities. It's such a quaint little tourist town, let's keep it that way. There are heaps of other creeks to prospect in, like XIV said do some research and hopefully you will be rewarded.

XIV could you please tell me where to find goodfellows creek? I can't find information on the internet. Thanks. :Y:

XIV said:
You can buy a tourist map of the area from the local shops.
And find a whole lot of creeks on there to prospect.
Sorry bud, I am not going to just put it up on an open forum.
Cheers.

yep that's how places get a huge flogging and then you get people who will go onto private property or dredge too.

Latest posts