SA Prospecting/fossicking on state/Crown land in South Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Just came across this post.

The two active clubs in SA are:

Southern Seekers Detector Club

and

Adelaide Treasure Hunters Club

On Facebook I started a group called South Oz Beepers & Prospectors, and now there are at least 3 other SA based groups as well.

Re detecting in parklands, it is a very grey area, and no specific mention of metal detecting in any bylaws that I know of.
So a bit of common sense should be practised. I think it often comes down to which council worker or park Ranger you come across.

I know when detecting Bonython Park, the guys there have no issues with it as long as you don't dig holes. So popping shallow targets with a screwdriver is fine.
Show them a bag full of all the pull tabs and screw caps you've picked up and all should be sweet

you only have to submit a notice of entry in south oz, wait 21 days, then access for 12 months, with certain restictions, been doing it this way for 25 yrs. up until recently you had to have el holders permission, but new changes were made in 2007 from memory, and now not needed. anyway thats how i do it, and will continue too to it the proper way through pirsa. :Y:

1. There's bugger all "Crown Land" in S.A. suitable for prospecting. Most of the Adelaide Hills is run by either, Forestry S.A. National Parks (N.P.) or S.A. Water.
2. I've visited a couple of SA Clubs, most are into "Treasure detecting" and those members that prospect go to VIC or W.A.
3. Areas such as the Flinders are pretty well all N.P.
4. Teetulpa is pastoral lease, I used to go onto the Station there Goat Hunting with an archery club, not sure how the managers would view detecting.

It would be great to have somewhere in this state, but for now I'm resigned to visiting the Mexicans over the border and happy to "steal" their yella dirt.

G'Day Condor

condor22 said:
I'm resigned to visiting the Mexicans over the border and happy to "steal" their yella dirt.

I would be happy to pay to tag along next time you go over the border ;)

I'm all setup with a 4x4, camping gear, genny, SDC etc. so I would not be any trouble.

Dont need any 'instructions'. just dont want to be out in the bush by myself so far from home ( Barossa )

Hi I'm new to the forum. I live in country SA. What I'd like to know is can you detect on the sides of the roads in SA? Whose property would that be considered? Thanks

Hi, I'm new in the forum. I wonder if anybody knows what the rules are about detecting on the side of country roads? Considering access is so limited to historical goldfields I winderedbif this was a legal option. my friend used to live the at Barossa goldfields and there was an area I noticed that was not on a property, but on the side of the road. Is this permitted? Thanks

MegsyB007 said:
Doesn't that come under Crown Land?

So then in SA that is OK if it is Crown Land without and EP order on it? (This is what I have deduced from this forum.

Hi folks,

I guess this post is getting on a bit now, and I hope I'm not out of line by adding to the thread, but I'm really interested to know if anything has happened since your initial revelations.

I'm relatively new to fossicking /prospecting, but I've been quick to realise the frustrations created by the unusual restrictions imposed on fossickers in this particular state. (SA)

You have clearly done your homework Shmiff. I've also been looking into these issues, and have discovered that there is currently ( Oct 2019 ) a cross government "task force" looking into the expansion of public usage of lands bordering state reservoirs.

Warren reservoir, literally bordering the Mt. Crawford fossicking area, has been opened up to a higher level of public access and Mount Bold and South Para are next in line.

It has occurred to me that many reservoirs sit on, or are very near, known historical Goldfields. Therefore, it could be worth petitioning this "task force" to consider adding fossicking to the list of "allowed" activities.

As you've indicated, the benefits of revenue earning through permit issues, increased tourism, inflow to local business and potential recovery of historical artifacts could be put forward to sweeten the proposal of such an inclusion.

I'm really keen to get involved in any kind of activity that would serve to change the position that we are forced to endure in this state and I'm wondering if you have heard anything back from your "contacts" that might indicate movement in this space.

Regards
Stinky

Good luck taking that advice.
About 12 months ago I knew of a spot on private property in SA mid north and went to the dept of mines to peg a claim for 12 months do do some detecting and light digging etc. They give me those forms and a lot more, along with the costs and time frames associated with the application . Bottom line was approx $12,000. in costs and that doesn't include the bond required after they do a site inspection to determine the environmental impact and formulate a rehabilitation plan that gets your bond back. The time frame discussed was 12 to 24 months and subject native cultural site inspections etc. Get the picture ! not what someone wants to go through to have some fun with their hobby. Easier to spend our tourist dollars in Vic And WA. Likely our SA tourist commission probably doesn't even know how many crow eaters holiday interstate to enjoy their hobby.

Have fun trying, I didn't
cheers johno

Latest posts