QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldtrapper, two of my favorite 'paddock' coils.... 25" 3 spoke Nuggetfinder mono..... 18" Detech open mono. Both of these are large but light and capable of finding sub gram colors, and larger pieces at depth as well as giving excellent coverage. Some of the enclosed larger monos are also good but heavier.

mbasko, this forum has been most fair in its treatment of the QED and my comments were not directed at PA but at others. The QED owners who have had some success are not members here, although I have encouraged them to join.
I am aware of the comments of a small number of pro QED people, and yes, I agree that they are over the top and unhelpful. I don't believe I have had a 'swipe' as you put it, but there have been some who just could not adapt to a different concept, and have sold their QEDs. I was personally involved with one such person and no matter how many times I tried to get them used to the detector it just didn't work out. I later found out that they had a history of swapping from one detector brand to another. Some have been detecting for years with different machines and found no gold at all, while others I have witnessed finding gold on their first day detecting. I took out a lady who lives nearby, and she found a nice bit just under an ounce within the first half hour. The irony there was that all I could find at that spot was a couple of sub grammers.

Mod Tathradj Edit.
Thanks Reg.
Please, I am not using my privileges to agree with you but,
I know a good thing when I see it.
Any one who wish's to join PA and wants to share their QED
experiences with us, They are most welcome too and without
fear of being slammed with negativity.

I myself have been very lax on my comments about the QED. :8
As it stands at the moment,
The QED is a very capable machine.
When I am right I do not and will not back down. :Y:

Times lately for the detecting time have been like hell to find.
I have set my sights on putting it out there for all to see and
in my own, Personal opinion,
The QED to me is a brilliant machine.

Only way to describe the machines capabilities and operation,
It is a prospectors machine.
Not a gadget that does every thing for you.
But do not let that put you off.
Like any piece of equipment, Learn how to use it. I picked up how
to set it up within 20 minutes of use.

And it pinged a target 22 grams at 450 mm deep with a Sadie on it. :cool:

I quite like it. :perfect: :perfect:

No matter what size, Shape or brand of coil,
The QED can be setup for it.
You have to remember, A metal detector is a Transmitter and a receiver.

You have to find the right "Harmonic " for the coil.
Type of ground, moisture, etc.
Like any machine, Once you have found that knee, Away you go.
QED has 16 modes and 2 bias settings for that.
How many variables do you need. O:)
And it is quite easy to find them.
The machine will tell you that. :Y:
I had mine running on brick red ironstone in a potato patch. (Super Secret Spot. )
And that was with the new Nugget finder evo coil.
Quite as. No problemo.
But bloody phone ringing telling me to come home and rain was a variable I did not want.
650 Klm's away.
I was not very impressed I assure you but,
" I'll be Back. "

Reg Wilson said:
goldtrapper, two of my favorite 'paddock' coils.... 25" 3 spoke Nuggetfinder mono..... 18" Detech open mono. Both of these are large but light and capable of finding sub gram colors, and larger pieces at depth as well as giving excellent coverage. Some of the enclosed larger monos are also good but heavier.

Thanks Reg, thats exactly the information I was looking for to back up what I thought. The 18" Detech open mono will be the coil I use.
Cheers, GT.

grumpygold said:
just came accross this qed video on youtube, must be a newie aint seen it before, not a long video, but very impressive results though

I see that the videos of a GPZ and GPX at the same test site over the same targets show the QED is as capable even more so on the final target that the GPZ and GPX failed to respond too.

Rush said:
grumpygold said:
just came accross this qed video on youtube, must be a newie aint seen it before, not a long video, but very impressive results though

I see that the videos of a GPZ and GPX at the same test site over the same targets show the QED is as capable even more so on the final target that the GPZ and GPX failed to respond too.

Are you able to stick up a link to that one Rush? Would be interested to see it :Y:

Northeast said:
Are you able to stick up a link to that one Rush? Would be interested to see it :Y:

Actually watched the videos on this australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum website.

Rush said:
grumpygold said:

The purpose of the GPZ testing was to compare some prototype coils to the standard GPZ coils not to compete against the QED. I believe that the GPZ was left in the same settings for comparison & weren't amped up at all for the test bed to improve the target responses. Dave could confirm or debunk that.
Videos available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYZBA53vNFyo-fNVqebP5YA

I don't see how the QED was very impressive? Its a test bed after all not real in situ gold.
As a former QED user it even highlights a couple of it's nuances being the sporadic ground chirps at 20, 40 & 50 secs + a sometimes wishy washy signal response I.e. it's a good signal but then can seem to be diminished on some sweeps.
IMO the QED is amped up for the test bed for best results (due to the chirps). Some sort of an effort to counter the GPZ coil testing (for what reason?? but I see the GPZ coil tests have caused Doug & Co. some angst).

People can make their own mind up in regards to the comparisons of the three detectors over the same targets.

Rush said:
People can make their own mind up in regards to the comparisons of the three detectors over the same targets.
Exactly & I bet it won't be long until someone goes back with the GPZ amped up to improve target responses there for those that think test beds are the holy grail of detector performance.
It all proves nothing.

Some time back I did a test using my GPZ, and QED, accompanied by Bill Schultz (Wombat) at the Coiltek test pad at Lucknow lead Maryborough. Bill had his GPX5000, and we tested all 3 machines. As far as Mbasko's claim about the QED being tweaked up while the other machines being dumbed down, I can assure you, and Bill is my witness, that was not the case. The QED picked out each target as clearly as both the other machines, and on the deeper target was actually better.
All machines were set up so that they were usable off the pad as well as on it. It was possible to tweak up each machine to get a better target response, however that made them nonfunctional for general use in the field. I have now been using a QED for over 2 years, and would not claim to have mastered it in a short period of use.

mbasko said:
Rush said:
grumpygold said:

The purpose of the GPZ testing was to compare some prototype coils to the standard GPZ coils not to compete against the QED. I believe that the GPZ was left in the same settings for comparison & weren't amped up at all for the test bed to improve the target responses. Dave could confirm or debunk that.
Videos available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYZBA53vNFyo-fNVqebP5YA

I don't see how the QED was very impressive? Its a test bed after all not real in situ gold.
As a former QED user it even highlights a couple of it's nuances being the sporadic ground chirps at 20, 40 & 50 secs + a sometimes wishy washy signal response I.e. it's a good signal but then can seem to be diminished on some sweeps.
IMO the QED is amped up for the test bed for best results (due to the chirps). Some sort of an effort to counter the GPZ coil testing (for what reason?? but I see the GPZ coil tests have caused Doug & Co. some angst).

I'm hearing you mbasko.

I actually left a comment on the video to that effect, but of course Howard deleted my comments after I replied with many counter points to his reply ( which of course tried to publicly belittle me ). :N: He just hasn't got over the fact that I did a couple of vids without him ( and yes, I did initially agree to do them with him ).

Cannot, and will not tolerate any person who points out the QED shortcomings, and will go to great lengths to silence them ! :N:

One of the many points I made was that if the QED is so good, why doesn't his nephew in law Corey Matthews, who runs CGS Gold Tours, use one in WA ????? Simple answer is that the QED is no good over there for prospecting !

Now I will sit back and wait for the QED sycophants to launch yet another personal attack on me ! But you know what, I don't give a rats !

Rick

Get over it Rick. Corey Mathews posted his support for Blair Cotrell on Facebook, so does not always have very good judgement. I am not a fan of Neo Nazis.

Latest posts