⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this one today, think it might be azurite?
1543655364_pc011056.jpg

I'd say you're right 22shells. Azurite is a deep blue copper mineral produced by weathering of copper ore deposits. If you look closely, you can see some green in there too - a sure sign of copper. Azurite got it's name from 'azure' - a deep bright blue - this certainly is azure coloured!

Topaz has a couple of quick give-aways, on the lips it's cold and has a slightly soapy feel to it. Right and bottom look like quartz, the other smaller two have a quartz look to them but you never know.

Thanks dihusky. The 2 smaller ones fell heavier than quartz than of similar size. Just going by feel

Ok bought myself a set of digital scales and did a specific gravity test on the 2 smaller stones. The clear one ended up 2.67 and the smoky colour 2.71.
On the chart i found it says it beryl. Does that sound right?
Found near powelltown vic.

bumdags said:
Ok bought myself a set of digital scales and did a specific gravity test on the 2 smaller stones. The clear one ended up 2.67 and the smoky colour 2.71.

Don't know the area at all, Beryl, has a very different crystal structure to those stones, so highly unlikely, quartz sg is 2.65 so that would be my pick the fact that your SG is a bit higher could be normal variations due to impurities or variations from hard or soft water? They certainly have the look of quartz.

bumdags said:
Afternoon all. Im normally a gold prospector but the wife has been asking about gems . So today we decided to try our luck on something different. I think we found some topaz and maybe a smoky. Not too sure. https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/10889/1543732647_webp.net-resizeimage-2.jpg
What do you think?

That area is mostly known for quartz (clear, smokey, citrine), topaz and tourmaline.
Topaz is out with those SG readings (3.4-3.6) and tourmaline (3.02-3.26).
I'd say you could possibly have the other three there.
The one with the yellow tint could be citrine (2.6-2.7), the big one's a smokey, and the other ones clear quartz (or possibly another citrine. It can be quite pale yellow sometimes). Search citrine in Google images and you'll see it comes in a wide variety of colours.

Have you checked out the thread Goldierocks posted about identifying gems and minerals?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24758
It might help you with some more tests to positively identify them.

Cheers,
Megsy

bumdags said:

Those SG's are almost certainly quartz. They look like quartz to me too.

Thanks Rh62, D79 and also everyone else for the likes. Wishing you all good luck in your prospecting ventures. Cheers all and happy hunting :pickshovel: :D

Latest posts