English currency

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently found an Edward IV Sixpence (1831-1837). Im located in Queensland, so coins of this age are found, but quite rare. The interesting thing is that it was very worn and had obviously been in circulation for some time and was found with other predecs of a much later period (1950s). The site it was found at does have a long history though.

My question is, how long did the English coins circulate after the Australian currency was introduced (1910/1911)? I am interested in peoples thoughts, I have my own, but would love to hear from anyone knowledgeable in this area and can cite any specific references.

I wonder if a coin from the 1830s would still have been circulating well into the 20th century?

PS: probably a question for a coin Forum, but Im not a member of any and it is a broad church here :D .

Great question, I have thought about it myself.

There were coinage acts in 1909, 1936 and 1947 (the latter two amendments) and Brittish currency was, of course, referred to in the 1909 act but was not mentioned later.

The biggest haul of coins I found with my father (around 400) ranged from about 1830-1907, however hard to determine when they were lost as it was the building they were under and wide gaps in the floorboards that were the common denominator. A few other times larger than usual coin spills ranging from 20-40 coins that might have coins 50-60 years apart.

Interesting though that you found coins with a 120-year gap!

I have found late Vicky's and early com pennies mixed in with much later roo pennies in obvious coin spills, coins that were almost if not touching each other, so I doubt it was just by chance.

I found a 1923 mercury dime about 6" away from a 1926 UK sixpence here in Aus so I guess anything goes.

Only yesterday I found a 1937 South African penny and a 1942 UK thrip here in Bathurst lol

Thanks Aussie for the info. Ive never been able to find anything that officially called in the English currency, unlike the changeover to decimal currency. Im guessing it was just allowed to continue as legal tender and left in circulation until reaching the banks and retained. Like you Ive found lots of English coins in-situ with Australian predecs, but the William IV was just a bit unusual. Anyway, another one of the mysteries that seem to pop up regularly with detecting. Cheers Chris.