Old newbie from Shoalhaven.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lateagain

Too old to care anyway.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have just found this site and I am amazed at the information that is here. My wife and I have owned detectors for about 38 years first one being a Bounty Hunter from memory, but was only used around old buildings and a few coins and Boorowa Hospital badge in a rubbish heap.

For the past 20 years have owned various Minelab detectors and have tried the Bathurst/Orange areas with no luck other than sluicing in the Turon River with limited success.

Over the past 12 years have been travelling to Maryborough in Victoria and have had sufficient success to see us keep going back for a number of years. Have had a break and ready to start again soon. Because of being considered elderly we now allow ourselves 2 days to get there with our 1967 Viscount caravan which we have owned for a lot of years.

We are now using GPX4500 and after watching various Youtube clips we feel that we now hopefully can do better with the 'low and slow' and some better settings instead of trying to cover too much ground in the limited time we have there. We are hoping that there might be areas closer to home, but from reading it looks like the beaches might be the only detecting closer to home. :D

Graham

Welcome to the forum Graham sounds like you have had some good times over the years the 4500 is a great detector but it would drive you crazy on the beach Looking foward to you new adventures
Roy

P.S I like your avatar

Thanks for the welcome, we are getting things organised for a trip soon and the confidence is high, just hope that that confidence translates into some more gold.

Roy, we have a Garrett infinium LS for use on the beach and whilst the beaches are only about 10 minutes away we have never tried detecting there as there always seems to be some reason for staying home. Might have a go in the winter when things are a bit quieter and not so many people around.

Graham

Hi mate welcome aboard. There's a few of us around the Shoalhaven area on here myself included.
I'm pretty busy most of the time, and when I've freed up some time I'll drop by to say G-day , go for a pan or BBQ out on the river ?

It's ok. I'll shovel and do all the work, I've been thinking about pumping some water into a kids pool then panning out of it.
Lite and portable!

Anyway I'll show you some spots one day for sure!

Skip, I am not too old, just now unable to do much more than about 20 minutes of continuous bending, this is why we now do the detecting, some days there is no bending at all, nothing to report. :/

Graham

Hi Graham,

I'm from south of Nowra also. Just retired from the military. Maybe one day I might see you out on one of beautiful beaches or public areas throughout the Shoalhaven ?

Berry area has been good lately.

Speedy.

Ok, I have posted my mobile number in my profile if anyone wants to get in contact. As I am of the older generation who did not live with mobile phones as part of the morning dressing ritual, mine sits on a cupboard in a spare room and is used as an emergency phone when the fixed wireless NBN goes down which is often. So if anyone does call, I have to work out what the noise is and where it is coming from before I can answer if I hear it. :lol: I will get back to you if you leave a number and message, I know how to read a sms, but have no idea about how to send one.

We are old and considered grumpy and unsociable by our children which is ok with us as we do not get asked to do babysitting very often. :D

Graham

Latest posts