Gold Finder GF2 From China

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a Chinese made Gold Finder GF2 out of curiosity to find out if the Chinese have managed to put together a half decent metal detector of their own design yet?
Well no they have not. This thing is a blatant but poor imitation of the Teknetics T2.
The detector looks good and well finished but unfortunately it is near on useless. Mine arrived complete with Battery charger, 11 inch oval DD coil and a set of headphones.
The ground Grab function does not work at all and the machine cannot Manually ground balance even mild iron mineralisation that is found in near on all Australian Back yards, play grounds School yards etc. The gold fields are a no go with this detector. It did run quietly over my concrete foot path to our clothes line.

The Disc mode gave a high tone on a one and two dollar coin in air but gave a low iron tone on in ground at two inches....no detection at five inches.
Sensitivity had to be wound almost to 2 out of a range of 0 to 99 to get the background internal cct chattering to stop (almost)
Air test distances were quite good on all targets but in ground detection is tragic possibly because the ground balance and sensitivity settings of this machine are completely RS.

I might put it out the front with a For free sign on it. :lol:

Don't waste your money on this metal detector.

Sounds like a basic vlf.
Same circuitry as this one,
1544311209_tandy_detector.jpg

G/Day tathradj

The detector looks exactly like the Teknetics T2 and it has all of the functions and displays. The sensitivity is too high. The manual GB works but has very little range. The ground grab does not work at all.
Visually the detector presents well. I have seen these units selling for around the 500 dollar mark. I payed less than half that but no joy if the bloomin thing doesn't work aye. I contacted the seller but received the reply that was anticipated, as in No Reply yet

How do I post photo's here?

Adrian ss

Hi Adrian, to upload a photo or pic, just press the picture icon in between the Adobe and Quote icons at the top of the reply box.

With regards to the Teknetics copies, apparently the coils are pretty crap and some have proved to work well with an aftermarket coil. Inconsistent built quality means that it is a real gamble on whether you get a half reasonable detector or a useless stick destined for the bin. Unfortunately even if the seller replies, it is likely that they will ask you to pay for return shipping, which means it is probably cheaper to just bin it or keep it as a wall display for the man cave.

If there is one thing I would like to put a stop to is EBAY promoting (sponsoring) counterfeit sales, especially those blatantly selling so called Fisher/Teknetics rip offs.

Sellers like this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gold-Bu...epid=1770317856&hash=item285572ba34:rk:1:pf:0

Adrian ss said:
I purchased a Chinese made Gold Finder GF2 out of curiosity to find out if the Chinese have managed to put together a half decent metal detector of their own design yet?
Well no they have not. This thing is a blatant but poor imitation of the Teknetics T2.
The detector looks good and well finished but unfortunately it is near on useless. Mine arrived complete with Battery charger, 11 inch oval DD coil and a set of headphones.
The ground Grab function does not work at all and the machine cannot Manually ground balance even mild iron mineralisation that is found in near on all Australian Back yards, play grounds School yards etc. The gold fields are a no go with this detector. It did run quietly over my concrete foot path to our clothes line.

The Disc mode gave a high tone on a one and two dollar coin in air but gave a low iron tone on in ground at two inches....no detection at five inches.
Sensitivity had to be wound almost to 2 out of a range of 0 to 99 to get the background internal cct chattering to stop (almost)
Air test distances were quite good on all targets but in ground detection is tragic possibly because the ground balance and sensitivity settings of this machine are completely RS.

I might put it out the front with a For free sign on it. :lol:

Don't waste your money on this metal detector.
Thank you for your review and honesty :Y:

I tried a Gold Bug Pro DP coil on the GF2 but of course it would not work. Built for different frequency. 19 khz for the Gold Bug and 13 khz for the GF2 The detector produced a continuous overload tone.
So maybe as another member suggested: The coil may be the main problem with this detector.
If you can stand the back ground chatter you will find stuff with this machine (mine) as it stands now so long as the sensitivity is not set above 2 or 3.and you pay no attention to the disc display readout and you don't care whether it is ground balanced or not.......The ground balance is continually positive, therefore in really really quiet ground it will/ may detect deep in All Metal mode but is total crap in the Disc mode.....The ground balance setting in the All Metal mode carries over to the Disc mode....Well that is what the instruction book states.

Anyway it is all boxed up now (I was going to shoot it ) and I may give it away .
It is tempting to have a go at fixing the coil or at least opening it up to see if there may be an obvious problem there.

The seller did finally contact me and offered in a very Chinese sort of way to try to resolve the issue .i have decided to keep the detector and have a go at getting the thing working correctly.

Cheers
Adrian ss

Adrian ss said:
I tried a Gold Bug Pro DP coil on the GF2 but of course it would not work. Built for different frequency. 19 khz for the Gold Bug and 13 khz for the GF2 The detector produced a continuous overload tone.
So maybe as another member suggested: The coil may be the main problem with this detector.
If you can stand the back ground chatter you will find stuff with this machine (mine) as it stands now so long as the sensitivity is not set above 2 or 3.and you pay no attention to the disc display readout and you don't care whether it is ground balanced or not.......The ground balance is continually positive, therefore in really really quiet ground it will/ may detect deep in All Metal mode but is total crap in the Disc mode.....The ground balance setting in the All Metal mode carries over to the Disc mode....Well that is what the instruction book states.

Anyway it is all boxed up now (I was going to shoot it ) and I may give it away .
It is tempting to have a go at fixing the coil or at least opening it up to see if there may be an obvious problem there.

Cheers
Adrian ss.
Open it up and post some pictures here and we can all have some fun :D

The board posted above looks the same as the Chinese put in the Fake Fisher F75.

There is no decent Chinese made metal detector, if they existed then stores would sell them.

I agree totally.
It is strange that they can put satellites into space and on the moon but cannot put together a metal detector of their own design that is competitive with the brands that they try to copy??
The Ground Grab on the above detector is non functional and the manual GB works in a very feeble sort of way

I don't know how old the thing is, it looks un-used. I have had it for about a week or thereabouts.
If I can get interested enough I will have a look at the other side of the board.

As far as I know Quest metal detectors are made in ROC and they are sold at several stores in Oz, with a price tag to match.

To get to the front of the cct board the dial plate has to be removed and this is stuck with adhesive to the control box. So I will not remove that because it would be ruined.
Interesting that the board has the Teknetics copy write stamped on it.

Why would a Chinese built Gold Finder GF2 have a Teknetics cct board in it?
So likely all I need to get this thing running is a new T2 board and/or possibly a coil?

Latest posts