Broken ribs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've injured ribs numerous times.

What works for me may not work for you. I dont take pain killers but I try to avoid moving much for the first 2 or 3 days.

Stay away from folks you find funny for a couple weeks at least.

Spend as much timw just resting on your back as you can.

I take antihistamines so I dont sneeze.

I take cough suppressant so I dont cough.

Usually I avoid taking meds but the pain from a coughing or sneezing fit is excruciating!

Get well soon, sore ribs are no fun at all.

I have cracked em as well, took a few weeks to get right, back in August I had Open Heart surgery and they opened up my whole rib cage and it is still healing, I even have some metal things in there According to my Detector/Pin Pointer,, Jeez I hope they didn't leave any Tools behind :( Lol

But Yes it's going to take time for you to get better so take it easy, the World will still be here when you get back on top, :Y:

But it you cut your resting/healing time short you will make the healing process take even longer,, Bloke in hospital a month before me is back in getting his rib cage put back together So either rest up and heal or keep doing stuff that you should not be doing and suffer for longer :N:

Good luck and get well soon,

RR.

Wow - we all have something other than yellow in common.

My workmates shouted me a couple of broken ribs for my bucks party, apparently bar-room rugby is a full contact sport and you should remove all bar chairs before being crash tackled.

I am still feeling the pain of getting married to this day........and....... 3 months for the physical impact

Slipped & fell on a scaffold across a pipe and broke 3 ribs.
Medical stuck a large strip of plaster across damage and I returned to work next day, sore and sorry but not overly restricted.
Sticky plaster changed fortnightly, do believe the pain from ripping the plaster off was more severe than broken ribs. Nothing like 3 months to heal though?
Can still feel a lump/join on one of the ribs today.

Thanks for all the replies and support guys. Yes it is painful but I think Ive just got to suck it up and rest as much as possible for now.
Sleeping is okay, I havent found it to be to uncomfortable as long as I stay still.
The worse thing is when I make a sudden movement and forget about the ribs......thats excruciating!
Thankfully i havent coughed or sneezed yet....not looking forward to that.
Anyway it is what it is, cant do much about it

It's hard being restricted to your own body isn't it. Just make sure you breathe relatively deeply and don't do too much of anything and time will do the rest.
:perfect:

Hi BoydWilliam

I feel your pain as I cracked a rib waterskiiing. Well, it wasn't the waterskiing that caused the injury, it was the sudden stop when I went arse-up in shallow water while attempting a beach 'landing'.
Those gathered on the bank of the dam thought it was pretty funny but as you well know, broken or cracked ribs aren't very funny.

I couldn't lay down so I had to sleep in a recliner for about a week, but eventually I got better.

Managing the pain was 'put up with it as best I could' but when it got bad, I'd take panadol.

Hope you get better soon.

regards
Rusty...

The one thing you need to be careful of when you have broken a rib or 3, Is hurting your self again, all it takes is a sudden pain to knock you off balance and you do even more damage, but the worst part is you risk Puncturing a Lung, Do that and you are in Serious trouble, There's nothing clever in proving how Tough you are, We can all battle on and get through it but Murphy's Law pops it's head and then you are in a World of :poop:

BoydWilliam said:
I was supposed to going to see the comedian Jim Jeffries live on Monday night. I think I might give that a miss!
Dude from what Ive seen of Jim Geoffrey,s :lol: :lol:
Dont Go :awful: :awful:

diggit said:
Stay away from folks you find funny for a couple weeks at least.

Now that's a hard call coming from an Irishman :lol: :Y:. But if you do find yourself in this situation beer :beer: is your friend :).

I've 3 broken ribs (~50yo - ended up in 1/8 body cast - 9 breaks and 3 dislocations) and 2 lots of cracked ribs (~60 & 62yo).
All due to idiocracy :lol:
Most/all other fractures and surgeries healed well before the rib pain ends.
Even after the ribs have semi-healed (~1 month), unlike other bones/joints, I still had pain impacts many/many months later.
They (your ribs) don't let you forget your stupidity for a long time.
You just grin and bear the sleepless nights.
AND FORGET THE F/N PAIN KILLERS!!!!!
As was said above, :beer: is definitely your friend!!

Ok so after 1 week of dealing with this crap, Ive actually made a few small improvements.
Getting out of bed in the morning is definitely the hardest. Early during the week it took me about 10 minutes to be able to sit up, but now it only takes a minute or two. Ive rested a lot during the last few days - watching cricket on the couch has helped. But today I got back out into the garden and did a bit of light weeding without to much discomfort.
A few ales here and there have helped but Im very cautious of getting to pissed and falling over!
This next week Ill start walking 5 or 6 kms a day if I can, the doctor reckons it will help.
Im a reasonably fit 37 year old guy, so Ill try not to let it debilitate me to much from now on but Im very mindful of the consequences of doing further damage.
Thanks for all the replies, I have taken everything on board that has been said.
Ill post another update in 1 week