Zed headphone recommendations sought

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the last two years i have moved from speaker to headphones on my Zed. I seem to be able to hear deep faint signals much better then with speakers. I have managed to destroy both pairs of my standard koss phones.
I just want a pair to plug them in to the wm unit or steel phase etc. What are ideal headphones for the zed that you use? I have read up on ss300 and grey ghosts and checked earlier threads. cheers RDD

https://i.imgur.com/8M827tM.jpg

1544657538_img_9496.jpg
Hey Steve, I use Sennheiser HD380 Pro headphones. They are very comfortable and have a nice long curly cable which can be replaced if it is ever damaged (unplugs from the headphones via a special fitting and has never come loose or given me trouble)
They fold flat and come with a rigid storage case.
I used them in W.A for 61 days with the Z and they were great, they have no trouble letting you know when there is small stuff about too.
They are over ear type and don't sweat up too badly compared to the on ear type which is perfect for warmer climates.
Think they set me back around $200
Few guys on here use Sennheiser, quality comfortable and lightweight.
Thumbs up from me and the 7oz they found me ;)

Hey Steve,

I cant fault these. Made in the USA. I have replaced the plug once as its got a fair workout stretching with the SDC attached over three years and failed a few trips ago.

Very very good at blocking out most wind noise and coil scraping sounds. Really good snug fit. Ears sit deep inside the headphones. Koss are terrible in comparison when I have had to use them

Cant live without them on the GPZ or SDC. They are the secret to my success with the SDC on that old quartz mine dump. All your hear is threshold or more importantly change thereof. Also found that 1.68gm piece near the rifle range on well gone over ground with the subtle threshold change. Weird change that was not quite right!

1544675241_20181213_151801.jpg

1544675847_headphones_2.jpg

Cheers

RS

Im just about try nedads ones for next couple of weeks, parts r available for them, and u got got volume control on each earpiece and pretty well local and u dealing with a person that is prospector

For $200 you could buy about 12 pairs of these. Lighter than any other headphones, cooler, and you can wear any type of hat with them. The sound goes straight into your brain and you can even hear your machine thinking. Pretty cheap test if you don't like them, painless if they break, carry as many spare pairs as you like.

1544690975_20181213_192929.jpg

I am currently using the SS300 after upgrading from the koss, the only down side to them in my opinion is that after a few hours my ears start to hurt, I have medium to large ears but i definitely have a big boof head.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Plenty to consider. My mate uses ear buds. Might get some to try as well as a good pair of headphones. Thanks RDD.

Ps for nsw people we should have a get together at HE into the new year..and get Bob to put us on some gold. :p

Bose noise cancelling ear buds. Expensive, but awesome. Aldi Bauhm noise cancelling head phones. Exceptional value at $40. Use WiFi with both.

Feral said:
I keep seeing these GOG's come up but can't find them in Aus

They are made in the UK -

Phase Technical ( Forum member ) was selling them .

I like the look of them Trash, didn't even realize SP sold headphones.
Once my Koss ones give up I will have to give these a try

I would like to see the results of a headphone comparison of A,B, C and D units, on say the 7000 over a very small piece of gold in mineralised ground, by the same person using the one machine with no setting changes.

This would help me in any future headphone purchase.

Peter

PeterInSa said:
I would like to see the results of a headphone comparison of A,B, C and D units, on say the 7000 over a very small piece of gold in mineralised ground, by the same person using the one machine with no setting changes.

This would help me in any future headphone purchase.

Peter

I'm not sure this would help a lot as headphones are a very personal thing. As people's range of hearing can differ quite significantly (both level and frequency range), the results may be different from one person to the next.

I know this doesnt make it any easier but it really comes down to trying different sets and seeing what suits you.

Another factor to consider is comfort. Some headphones can perform very well audibly but after an hour it feels like your head is being crushed between two big speakers.

What I have found is that top of the line hifi headphones dont make the best detecting headphones. For detectors you want a set of headphones that lifts the mid range of frequencies rather than the bottom and top end (as most hifi headphones do).

Sorry I havent made things easier lol.

Pat

Latest posts