Victorian Miners Right information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Expensive compared to the Vic Miner's Right that's $24 and gives us access to all forests here for 10 years - but still affordable, which is good to know for when I get the chance to pack the pans and head north to have a fossick around the rivers there. You seem to have better rivers than we do - and a lot less restrictions on which ones you can prospect on too! It's hard finding one here, where you can prospect, that hasn't been flogged to death already. Exempted list :N:

Cheers,
Megsy

a little bit of trivia -- Victorian Miners Right back in the day, was 2 meter square, per ticket thats why you see lots of diggings in some areas -Mark

In 1855, they cost 2 pounds for three months, and only gave them 12 x 12 feet to prospect, and they were allowed to reside on that small space too. Tough way to make a living. Finding 2 pounds worth of gold per quarter just to pay for the license was not easy in just that little bit of space! Never mind living expenses on top of it!

MegsyB007 said:
Good news mate! Now go out there and find some shiny stuff!
Good luck! :goldnugget:

Cheers,
Megsy

Just bought an 8" recirculating standalone powersluice combo and fwd classifying screen from Gold Rat Highbankers. Hoping to get up to Daylesford a few times over the Christmas break if it arrives in time.

gidday everyone. if i have a miners lic and i know the grandkids are covered under mine being 3 and six is my son who is 38 covered as well because it doesnt say much in links everyone supplied or does he need one too. he only comes once in a blue moon.

Hi Guys,

Just need confirmation.

Myself and the old man are from Adelaide and want to detect in Vic.

Will i only need to purchase the below.

Victoria Miners Right - Apply Online
ttps://checkout.payments.com.au/dpi_minersRight/

Is it simple as that?

Thanks

MichoAndrew said:
Hi Guys,

Just need confirmation.

Myself and the old man are from Adelaide and want to detect in Vic.

Will i only need to purchase the below.

Victoria Miners Right - Apply Online
ttps://checkout.payments.com.au/dpi_minersRight/

Is it simple as that?

Thanks

You both have purchase one each in your own name, somewhere around $30.00 bucks each for a 10 year Miner's Right. Cheap as chips at the asking price, all the best when you get over here.

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if my friend would have to get a miners right license if they are just coming with me but will NOT be detecting or digging. they just want to come out and have a wonder around the bush. Cant seem to find a definitive answer anywhere

Thanks!

Not a problem, so long as your friend isn't detecting or digging. To play safe, I'd include not carrying anything related to prospecting either i.e pick, scoup, detector etc.
So a water bottle or bush walking gear is ok.

In 6 years, I've only ever met a Ranger once and they didn't ask for Miners Rights. :)

never been approached/asked in over 35 years,if you are carrying a pick and see a ranger just chuck it to the sh#t house.
Plus they'd have to be a mongrel to fine you for carrying a mates pick

Just remember if your mate without a Miners Right finds gold he has NO LEGAL TITLE TO IT.
The court won't like him saying you found it and the gold will be seized by the crown.

Moral law dictates if he is a tourist they have probably already paid their dues. If taking a bucket of 20kgs often then yeah might pay to invest or keep going until told not to do so (risky business) :lol: :lol:

Geez you guys south of the boarder need to relax a little or you could end up buying too much dunny paper like us cousins up here in the north of you.
I think it was the late 80's I could buy a miner's right for a dollar at ballarat tourist park. All above board from memory but now everyone is so serious gold falls off trees it's spooked the powers that be into a false sense of significance.

Hang onto the reality pleeze.

Latest posts