Garrett AT Max information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stru said:
Sorry newbie, I didnt read your post thoroughly and thought you were talking about an garret atx.

Hi stru
Just starting out so any advice is great .

Hoping to detect for gold in the golden triangle ,which detectors work in that type of soil ?
Thanks

Pulse induction detectors. The gpx series are tried and proven with the sdc and gpz excellent options too. Then you have the QED that I know nothing about but it was designed in vic I believe so a good less expensive option? My take is its hard to find gold with the best detectors so if you are in it for the long haul you may get lucky but likely frustrated with any other options.

Newbie, go back to Harry Houdini's post and click on the link.
If your after one machine to do it all I certainly don't have an answer! looking at Stru's signature he has three, two pulse induction and a Vlf, none of them cheap!
The machine is only going to find gold after you have found the places that others have missed, so you need to learn to research and to prospect.
lots of good information on these pages (forum).
Matt T

Hi Guys.

Has anybody been able to use an At Max international successfully in salt water and in the saturated sand? If you have can you please respond with your settings. I've owned one of these for a year and a half and although I think it's a cracking machine on the dry sand and in any other environment, it provides nothing but frustration in the wet salt.. I've watched every YouTube video I can find on the subject and tried every combination of settings I can think of. I've tried to use the Max on beaches from Frazer Island to the Gold Coast in Queensland and it even had a quick try on a beach in Sandy Bay Tasmania. It has sucked on every beach (wet sand) that badly Im beginning to think Garrett should change the name to ST (some terrain). I'm not a beach hunter usually, but the ground is getting that hard where I live I was thinking it would be a good option over summer. I own a Sea Hunter so if I can't find a way to get the Max to run its not a big deal. Just would be nice to have some discrimination.

It's a single frequency VLF detector, so there is no real solution and your only recourse is to wind down the sensitivity to ease the ear strain. I agree that "All Terrain" is a misnomer - Garrett are well aware of this deficiency too, as shown in the AT Max manual:
1544508014_at_max_salt.jpg

AT Pro.
http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/videos-at-pro-saltwater-use-tips/

AT Max the way Not to use it.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7BE6F08BB58D22D0920A7BE6F08BB58D&&FORM=VDRVRV

A better way to run the AT Max.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A890FB59012FFC732CF1A890FB59012F&&FORM=VDRVRV

AT Pro vs AT Max. beach test.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1A890FB59012FFC732CF1A890FB59012F&FORM=VDRVRV

There is a few more tweaks that can be done but above info should be good for starters + I run my AT Pro in Zero and the AT Max in all metal on the beach just like when prospecting, so to me it's an "All Terrain" detector.
AT Max also have screen light so it's OK for low tide beach hunting at night!

I should update... I have actually worked out how to get it to run.. the trick is the frequency. My procedure is. Get to the salt water. Put the max in all metal and run threshold. Ground balance but then hold the coil about and inch off the wet... Turn up the sensitivity till it's unstable then flick through the 4 frequencies,,,,, one will be way smoother... At this point I back off the sensitivity 1 bar. Then run the zero mode but disk out to about 30,,,,, less if you can,,, depends on the beach. It works a treat and is as good as any other detector I've used. I'm happy anyway.. I think Garrett made a huge marketing blunder keeping the Max in the same chassis as the older At series. It's being overlooked but it's a great unit... When you select beach mode on the Nox,,, it's pretty much doing the above... The Garrett is just a manual machine. Once I realised this the beaches have opened up for me.
Cheers
Brian

AT Max work fine on wet a beach.

For max depth/sensitivity: Try ..... All Metal ... Notch out First and Last notch ... Reduce threshold 3/4 clicks below audible threshold ... now increase sensitivity to whatever it will take.

Experiment with settings!

hey guys im cameron and ive newly just brought myself a garrett at max as ive just gotten myself into metal detecting. gone out a few times and love it so fun, when it comes to hitting the goldfields whats the best way to set these up??
thsnks camm

These were the settings i used:

Zero Mode

Sensitivity on either 3, 4 or 5 depending on the ground, just try to keep it quiet.

No Iron discrimination if you can help it, sometimes i would put the discrimination on 10 just to quieten it up a bit.

Thats about it really! :Y:

thanks buddy n howd did ypi go abput finding targets?
what wpuld the be outcome of the sensitivity being to high.? i would if thought having the sensitivity being high is a good thing
camm

I found the higher the sensitivity the more erratic the machine became, it was driving me insane. With the sensitivity flat out i was digging holes that had no targets in them! It was picking up the mineralisation and when you did come across a target, it was blending into the erratic noises so there was no way to actually tell if you had a target or not.
Hope it helps man - all the best :Y:

yeah i know what ypu mean picks up everything ( the stuff you dont want)
in lowing the sensitivity wpuld small gold be harder to pick up and larget cause this machien isnt really good for big nugs, or is it at the right settings?
this so much help ive got no idea hahaha

"Custom" is primarily used for coins and basic treasure hunting, it enables you to use notch discrimination which *could* potentially miss gold targets. Its better used for finding iron in my opinion.

"Zero" mode is similar to "All Metal" mode in that it will pick up all metals but wont constantly beep and carry on and will only alert you to a decent target.

One thing i forgot to add (its been a while) is run the threshold on "0" or at a stretch "+1". This will also help in not missing targets because the threshold can sometimes mask faint signals.

The machine is really good for any target really, providing that it isn't too deep.

-Just something to think about: As far as gold goes, from what i understand VLF technology was the first to come out (Early 70's?), and so every man and his dog had one. They had basically been out over all of the known gold bearing areas and cleaned out most of the shallow stuff. Then in 1995 along came Pulse Induction which could break past the depth barriers that the VLF had succumb to, getting down a lot deeper.

yes thank you im getting a better understanding of the garrett, seems like you wanna hear the hum so then the faint signals stand out?
what kind of ereas to look for that most people havent really gone too

i know it big question to ask cause this technology has been round for 50 ofd years so i wpuls day that everywhere jas been done with vlf :argh:

what kind of research do i need to do? geo vic, maps from the shops that everyone has got?

sorry but i dont really want to using up my time on everyone elses locations

Latest posts