Park detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mixo said:
Just came back from the park(cricket ground, soccer pitches) but it was a little confusing. lots of signals but most of it was screw caps and pull rings. Kids loved finding 10Cents and 20 cent coins but that was it. all in all 52 cents! for a couple hours works. the ground was hard as a rock we missed hits that looked deep on the nox screen.

Also around the club rooms it was littered with screw caps. I could not figure out how to cut those out. Looked at my sheet Nox tids sheet and it seems the goldies are the same value as these bloody screw tops..

Any tips on how to get around this or you just don't bother.

Anyway was a nice walk in the park, people look at my kids having fun , smiles all round.

mixo

Interesting no Goldies, but perhaps its been detected before ..?

Yes bottle caps come in the same as Goldies

You really have to dig them .

Its good the kids went with you , you may never get the Detector back ....!!

i'm going back to another park that has bark cover under the play equipment instead of sand. is there a way to tell the nox not to look too deep so I dont make a mess of the playground!

thanks

Mixo

p.s the kids loved it, the young one got a little bored but the play equipment came in handy so they back and forth. The older one stayed with me all the time.Thank god they really don't know the value of money so they happy with a ten cent find!

( i'm going back to another park that has bark cover under the play equipment instead of sand. is there a way to tell the nox not to look too deep so I dont make a mess of the playground!)

Drop your sensitivity down to 10 use a pin pointer and probe and just pop the coin out. This works for me only going for shallow modern coins.

This is a great thread! I'm planning on grabbing a Go-Find 22 for Christmas and knocking around the local parks/scrublands. Probably won't find much, but might find a few nice bits and pieces. I'm originally from out west as well, used to live in Bligh Park but now out near Strathfield. I'll have to head home for a weekend or two and hunt around the local ovals and whatnot.

We did that the kids filled the holes they dug up. all part of the fun.

We didn't bring a bag with us which a need to find one at home or buy one to keep all the trash and treasure.

Also need to buy a proper trowel to did holes, the ground was as hard as a rock. Yes i tried the screw drive but did not have much success. I didn't have a pin pointer.

In saying this my son had eyes like a hawk and picked the coins up pretty quick.

Mixo

A lot of sensitive areas like sports fields (NOT on playing fields ) and where common sense tells you people are precious about ...
These places are better off not hitting hard until the cooler weather when the ground is a lot more moist and easier to dig , plus the conditions are better for the grass to recover. Most of these areas have quite a lot of trash targets compared to the few coins you may find anyway, so turning these places into a mine field , and getting booted off is not good for you or the hobby in general

We went to our local ground and we never dug near the playing pitch, put around the boundary where people sit and watch their kids/team play.

Are people so stupid to dig up pitches?

back there tonite unless they have training and too many people around.

mixo

tried 2 parks this arvo but they seemed to have new woodchips on them so we didnt find anything just 1 bottletop.

At least it had a playground so the kids played for a while.

mixo

mixo said:
tried 2 parks this arvo but they seemed to have new woodchips on them so we didnt find anything just 1 bottletop.

At least it had a playground so the kids played for a while.

mixo

If you are chasing older coins... pre decimals, Ignore the high noise, shallow signals. Older treasures will be deeper and not BOOMING signals. Not always true but a good guide. Remember that no matter what our experience level... we all dig trash. I am more the dig everything type. I wouldn't want to miss a good find because it sounded too good to be true. Such is life.

It takes amny hours to master any detector. Even if you have much experience with one machine and switch o another, you are starting from scratch.

today we didnt have it in us. Dug many holes with the screwdriver but we could not find anything. I think i need a trowel but I haven't got 75 bucks at the moment. The ground is so hard here in Melbourne north.

Too many hits as well, it makes it confusing.Tries the bottle top trick changing to 10khz but it made no difference , still dug up a bottle top.

Still haven't been to the beach, holidays cant come fast enough.

mixo

mixo said:
today we didnt have it in us. Dug many holes with the screwdriver but we could not find anything. I think i need a trowel but I haven't got 75 bucks at the moment. The ground is so hard here in Melbourne north.

Too many hits as well, it makes it confusing.Tries the bottle top trick changing to 10khz but it made no difference , still dug up a bottle top.

Still haven't been to the beach, holidays cant come fast enough.

mixo
Once you have found about $200+ in $1 and $2 coins you will have a much better understanding of what is a coin..your junk finds will drop but you will still find abit on every hunt :)

Hi mixo burie some coins at home and swing over them lisson to the sounds then burie some trash near by and practice so you learn your detector

Not a bad idea Roy will try it out. 2nd day don't expect much.im too green yet..

Mixo

Went out last night with some of the kids to our local park, lowered the sensitivity , seemed to have worked, as in looking for surface(2" deep at max).

Well we only got 2 x 10 cents a 3x 2 cent coins. Kids happy.

So one hours work made 23 cents ....

Also found 5 screw tops as well, but they dont count

mixo

Latest posts