Clay Like Concrete

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was out on the weekend and detecting a pushed area that had been worked over many times. Managed to get through some bushes to an area with no holes, went over a patch and the SDC started humming.

An hour later and a foot down and the machine is screaming. Thats where I hit a layer as hard as concrete. Bent my old pick and just couldnt get through it. Is there any way gold could be beneath that layer of rock, or is there more likely an old screw off a grader/digger down there?

It sounds good.

Is the SDC 'sounding off' over a large area or in particular spots as you move over the ground?

Sounding off over a large area would suggest that the SDC is just reacting to the ground mineralisation. Or there are a ridiculous number of targets under that clay :playful:

Hard, concrete like clay would suggest that it hasn't been worked and if there are individual targets under it then hopefully, possibly, maybe you have found something wonderful.

1) keep it to yourself.

2) hammer and chisel or crowbar.

3) keep it to yourself.

4) I hope it is heaps of gold for you.

5) Don't tell anyone the location.

6) The most important rules are 1, 3 and 5 ;)

Hi, if you are out in the Bendigo area, and you found this clay in the flat or low parts of the landscape (for example, creek floodplain), you may be looking at the old mining sludge - the old reports mention this as being as hard as cement when it dried. Just a thought....

Northeast said:
It sounds good.

Is the SDC 'sounding off' over a large area or in particular spots as you move over the ground?

Sounding off over a large area would suggest that the SDC is just reacting to the ground mineralisation. Or there are a ridiculous number of targets under that clay :playful:

Hard, concrete like clay would suggest that it hasn't been worked and if there are individual targets under it then hopefully, possibly, maybe you have found something wonderful.

1) keep it to yourself.

2) hammer and chisel or crowbar.

3) keep it to yourself.

4) I hope it is heaps of gold for you.

5) Don't tell anyone the location.

6) The most important rules are 1, 3 and 5 ;)

Thanks all, lips tightly sealed but I still havent had time to get out there. The detector was only going off in the hole, so dont think its the ground. Found a small bit near the hole as well so fingers crossed for a colourful dig when I get out there next!

Latest posts