Park detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a xterra dual pack looking to go and have a swing around local parks. Im in western Sydney Windsor area any suggestions as Im new havent used it yet and would like to find something anything..
cheers
Dave

pick a park ,any park, don't dig playing fields , make the smallest possible hole/plug
get a pinpointer (makes for accurate plugs)
only use a hand trowel or digging tool such as a Tyger :heart:
leave the ground as best you can to as close to how you found it , always refill/replug your hole
happy hunting

[Howdy , I was planing to give a park up my street a swing here in the northern subs of Melbourne, can a goldmonster be used for tresure detecting or am I waisting my time . Also is it ok to do so , I'm not to good with finding info on the forum yet . I have my miners rights, I've had for a couple years as I like my panning but now have this detector I'm keen to learn while I can't get away up in the gold fields. ?

James 5 said:
[Howdy , I was planing to give a park up my street a swing here in the northern subs of Melbourne, can a goldmonster be used for tresure detecting or am I waisting my time . Also is it ok to do so , I'm not to good with finding info on the forum yet . I have my miners rights, I've had for a couple years as I like my panning but now have this detector I'm keen to learn while I can't get away up in the gold fields. ?

you will dig way to much ground up with the monster :rolleyes: 8.( :8 not good in park environments :awful: :N:

better off with a machine that will give you a tid and a tone :cool: :power: :power: and learn what it tells you :rainbow:

you will still dig crap 8.( but not to the same scale as you would with no discrimination :pickshovel:

dont forget smallest possible plug :power: refilled when you finished :cool: an take ya crap with you :poop:

help to keep the parks open by doing the right thing :sunny:

happy park hunting James

Hi Dave.

Did you have any luck in your search around the Hawkesbury?

Im from Richmond and have just got an equinox 600 so am hoping to start doing some searching around the area.

Love to hear what you have found and maybe we will cross paths one day

Regards

Jamie

Windsor is an OLD area. Should be plenty of great sites. Have a look on TROVE. It has old maps, newspapers etc all digitized. You can research as to what events etc happened in your area. Any park, oval, showground etc will have a long history. People sent much more time outdoors than we "modern people" do.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/

Since this thread is open can I add with some questions?

What do you take with you when you go park detecting? i.e detector, pinpointer, shovel/pick etc etc

How do you pick your park is there some criteria?

i'm sure there is more...

mixo

Don't go to a park with a shovel or pick! Small inconspicuous recovery tools & methods are best.
Personally I don't like doing parks in town but picking a park is about observation &/or research like most/all other detecting.
If your after modern coins etc. then take notice of which parks that get used more & what areas I.e. play equipment.
If your after older coins etc. then research old parks. Find out what happened in them, where people congregated I.e. a lot of regional parks that are on rivers used to host swimming carnivals in the river (post municipal pools) so finding where on the rivers these were held could yield a good spot.

Only ever use a screw driver in parks NOT a shovel A pinpointer is very good to find what youre looking for
mixo said:

What do you take with you when you go park detecting? i.e detector, pinpointer, shovel/pick etc etc

mixo

mixo said:

mixo

As others have said... shovel and pick is not a good look. Learn some better retrieval methods. I have posted this video many times. He waffles on a bit but shows good methods.
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/YzEZNWMXKDE[/video]

all good tips. i did see one bloke with a shovel and digging up holes. at least he put them back. a lot of effort thought.

Need to keep myself occupied over the winter months when not at the beach.

Not sure about the old coins. haven't done any research into it, are they worth any money?

mixo

As mentioned above

Until you get the hang of Detecting , just use a screwdriver & poke around until you find the target .

Some targets are just hiding under the surface , As you get use to the tones you will start to tell surface finds .

For targets beyond a screwdriver retrieval , If you do get a small trowel type digging tool , DO NOT cut a full plug .... cut a reverse C shape plug and Yes a pinpointer saves a lot of time for deeper targets .

Shovels are only for paddocks or the beach ....!

Dont detect in a park when council workers or mower guys are around .

Dont detect a park thats busy .

Best times early mornings , just on dark or when its quiet ...!

Good luck & enjoy :Y:

Just came back from the park(cricket ground, soccer pitches) but it was a little confusing. lots of signals but most of it was screw caps and pull rings. Kids loved finding 10Cents and 20 cent coins but that was it. all in all 52 cents! for a couple hours works. the ground was hard as a rock we missed hits that looked deep on the nox screen.

Also around the club rooms it was littered with screw caps. I could not figure out how to cut those out. Looked at my sheet Nox tids sheet and it seems the goldies are the same value as these bloody screw tops..

Any tips on how to get around this or you just don't bother.

Anyway was a nice walk in the park, people look at my kids having fun , smiles all round.

mixo

Well done mixo it takes time to learn a new detector and you will always get some pull tabs and screw caps but it does get better as you go great to hear you had fun with the family Just keep swining and you will learn as you go but you still hit targets
Roy

mixo said:
Just came back from the park(cricket ground, soccer pitches) but it was a little confusing. lots of signals but most of it was screw caps and pull rings. Kids loved finding 10Cents and 20 cent coins but that was it. all in all 52 cents! for a couple hours works. the ground was hard as a rock we missed hits that looked deep on the nox screen.

Also around the club rooms it was littered with screw caps. I could not figure out how to cut those out. Looked at my sheet Nox tids sheet and it seems the goldies are the same value as these bloody screw tops..

Any tips on how to get around this or you just don't bother.

Anyway was a nice walk in the park, people look at my kids having fun , smiles all round.

mixo

Any sports field that is still in use will have a LOT of modern trash. Unfortunately for those who detect it is a fact of life. You will dig much more trash than treasure. If you can sort the deeper targets from the shallow you will find older treasures. If the $1 and $2 coins are your preferred target than you need to pay attention to what numbers and sounds they ring up. I have used several higher end detectors and believe that sounds, tones are more accurate than the numbers on the screen. At the end of the day... we all dig trash. It takes time to learn ant detector.