Garrett ADS Deepseeker information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I have an old vlf garrett deepseeker. I've tried having a suss on the net but can't find much info on this type detector. Anyone on here have one? Would really appreciate some tips on the settings I should be using for both coin shooting and a bit of the yellow stuff. I live in S.A. have had a bit of a try in the local parks but haven't really found much of interest mainly rubbish and bottle caps. Will say it goes deep like the name states but sick of digging up so much junk. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers and regards

The Golden Pick

The instruction manual is listed here on Garrett's site, there are some pointers on using the discrimination to weed out some of the junk you are detecting, that is if you don't already have the instructions. :)

Maybe give it a try down the beach in dry sand, less junk to contend with, and more chance of actually finding sonething.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_manuals.aspx

So I ended up buying an ads deepseeker off eBay (mentioned in my last post) but I can't find a battery tray for it here in Australia and none of the American sites will send one here.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the battery tray? Takes 6 9v batteries.

Or will it run with my a2b battery pack 4 9v?

better yet anyone know where I can pick one up???

TIA!

Gold mining centre South Australia. Serviced repaired my ads ground hog last year (4/7/14) also sipplied a battery holder. Great service hope he is still in operation. Good luck with the old girl Cheers. Dave.

Some not so good phone pics {mind the dust}

1446697808_20151105_082917.jpg

1446697818_20151105_082934.jpg

1446697827_20151105_082942.jpg

1446697837_20151105_083011.jpg

Phil, formerley GMC Adelaide has and can modify a Groundhog battery tray with the 2 extra connectors needed(he had one when I rang him today), or you can use a forwarding agent in the USA to ship one out. That was the path I took. Some are expensive, some lock you into a monthly payment. I used Reship.com. $5US for a single transaction. They send you an address at their facility then ship it on. Kellyco had one. It was $29.95US+$14US postage, plus$5US for the forwarding- about $75 AUD all up. Add the address to your paypal account and use that will set the sellers site shipping rates selections for US choices.
Don't forget to change your PP address back before your next (local) transaction!!!
Garret Australia were useless, but at least they rang me back to tell me they couldn't get one. Kellyco flatly refused to send one directly, citing that the Aussie dealers have exclusivity.
I didn't need one urgently, but thought a spare would be handy. :)

I am new to both detecting and this site so if anything seems inappropriate please let me know. I have been trying to find help with my new (old) Garrett ADS Deepseeker that I recently purchased. I have absolutely no idea how to use it correctly. I downloaded the manual for it but fail to fully understand it, I can get it to detect metal then something changes and I have to start again. I also seem to be detecting plain old river stones which I assume are just mineralised. Looking at some pictures of the detector the only difference on mine is what looks like an aftermarket addition that's only purpose seems to change the tone of the signal. Any help or if you can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

prj564 said:
I am new to both detecting and this site so if anything seems inappropriate please let me know. I have been trying to find help with my new (old) Garrett ADS Deepseeker that I recently purchased.

If your ADS Deep Seeker has the controls on the side of the unit and the meter at the top front then there's alot that go wrong with them. These are old designs with old analogue components that can fail over time. For example it's not uncommon to see the potentiometers corrode to the point that they're just not reliable enough to use for machine settings.

If your ADS Deep Seeker is a more squareish box with controls and meter on the top then you might be able to get it functional, however I am always suspicious of detector mods on detectors this old, there were a lot of 'snake oil' modifications on the market in the 80s.

Can you post the serial number of the machine or a link to a photo of it?

Hi sorry for the delay in responding, I will get a couple of photos of the unit on the weekend and see what happens. As far as I can tell with my limited knowledge it all works I just don't know how to use it.

Hi forum, first post here, also new to detectors and a babe in woods with electrical stuff. A 44 year old babe with a greying beard.

Anyway, I found the Garrett today at a garage sale for a steal, so home it comes... But the batteries had been left in and it's corroded to buggery.

I read a few threads on here of chaps who done repairs, but wondering if anyone has a circuit diagram handy? I reckon I can replace the pads and clean up the pins without a huge drama, but would prefer the drawings to be sure I'm not being a boof head.

Cheers

G'day fellow prospectors
I have 2 Deepseekers that work well and powers up every time they are turned on A fellow prospector gave me his unit to fix.
Sure enough turning it on it was dead as a dodo. Putting in new batteries didn't help. After fiddling around managed for
detector spring into life. With the detector ON it seems that by unplugging and plugging in the coil the unit would make it work.
Concluded the the problem as an intermittent re-solder all the joints on the Transmit and Receive sides. The problem is
still there.Looked at the plug and socket pins they were a bit corroded some what this just might be the problem. Replaced them
but the startup problem still persisted. Now did notice the plugging coil in and out trick didn't work all the time!
Looking at the circuit the unit wouldn't if the there was a problem in the Tx side. Hooked up a CRO ( digital one) and
there was no output.Doing the the coil trick the Tx oscillator would work and hey presto it works again. Analyzing the
weird circuit it was clear the LM 358 op-amp was tired. After replacing it the detector would fire up consistently over
number days. But after being off for a couple of weeks the Oscillator would not startup again. Starting once restarting
was not a problem. Checked the passive components they were all good. There are not many components in the oscillator so
the only variable is it a faulty coil? has anyone experienced this issue?
1645334074_deepseaker_oscillator.jpg

Latest posts