Ophir gold, near Orange NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ctxkid said:
Pangaea Prospector said:
G'day there Dave,

What I can tell you from experience is, to find gold at Ophir you will need a machine like the SDC2300 or better, there is a large amount of trash around like small pieces of tin and the gold is quite small.

If you work around the edges of mullock heaps you may find some small nuggets.

With your sluice you can drive down to Greers Point and shovel some dirt on the western side of Lewis Ponds Creek, I have marked it on the map.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14084/1544243398_greers_point_ophir.jpg
is nothing left to the imagination 8.( 8.( 8.(

One of your secret spots is it?

Pangaea Prospector said:
G'day there Dave,

What I can tell you from experience is, to find gold at Ophir you will need a machine like the SDC2300 or better, there is a large amount of trash around like small pieces of tin and the gold is quite small.

If you work around the edges of mullock heaps you may find some small nuggets.

With your sluice you can drive down to Greers Point and shovel some dirt on the western side of Lewis Ponds Creek, I have marked it on the map.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14084/1544243398_greers_point_ophir.jpg
Very generous info PP...well done.

Dave, Ophir was one of my old hunting grounds and very good to me and there is still a lot of gold to be found. My best bit was not far under 3 oz right near the main camp ground and I found that with an XT17000.

I knew an old guy who used to go thier most weekends with an ACE 250 and never failed to come home with a bit. This was in the 4500 days.

Don't worry about Mr CTXkid, he hasn't yet learned that forums are a part of research and a place to ask questions and where info is freely shared amongst members.

Cheers.

madtuna said:
Don't worry about Mr CTXkid, he hasn't yet learned that forums are a part of research and a place to ask questions and where info is freely shared amongst members.
Cheers.

yeah that is cool :cool:

don't worry about Mr Ctx ;) he's no right to challenge anything :Y:

where i come from you go out and scout information on the ground, in the field , talking to people :beer: in a nut shell 'doing the leg work' for yourself :perfect:

yes the spot above is known to me , i found it for myself :eek:

can you see a pattern in what i am saying :rolleyes:

Skip said:
Yeah! One condition , Must ride a motorbike .. that should keep the numbers down for ya CT !

apart from first impressions Skip :(

by this post you may just be a good fellow :fistpump:

Not may be a good fellow, I am a good fellow. And everyone has the right to an opinion,
To me a gold prospecting forum is a good place to start your research. As most of us know finding gold is 80% bookwook 20 out in the field. I'm always happy to offer up some spots for those just starting out. If i can make a few people smile with free advice im stoked for them.

For a newbie even knowing where to look for the resources can be a bit daunting so that why they start with a forum like this and then ask people with more knowledge for help so hopefully someone on will then point them in the right direction we all have to start somewhere.
Roy

I dont mind the idea of sharing general locations but yeah not sure about X marks the spot type stuff :/
Especially outside of the Members Only section.

Right now 49 members are online and 250+ guests.
I dont begrudge someone who prefers anonymity, they might have a good reason to, but if a person uses this forum for an extended period of time gathering information without ever considering joining up and being a contributor, no way will I ever post anything specific.

Imagine how many new mates Jamiealdridge would have if he posted a treasure map. :goldpan:

I have been out plenty of times put in the yards test panning for decent ground only to turn up the following day to find someone who Id maybe crossed paths with, had a chat or even noticed them in the distance, working the very same spot.
I recently hand winched a massive boulder out of a spot only to find the bloke who watched me do it running a highbanker there the following day.
I would have stayed and worked it but it took me much longer than expected to move some decent sized rocks. Lesson learned, the swag (and some panafen plus) comes with me from now on.

Dont get me wrong, I love company when Im prospecting. Plenty of people on here Id be happy to share info with, every now and then I hit good ground that you can pull 3-4g plus of alluvial in a day.
Im just not drawing any maps!

AussieChris said:
I recently hand winched a massive boulder out of a spot only to find the bloke who watched me do it running a highbanker there the following day.
i would have seen red , went and had a chat about his actions , would probably end as your sig line goes ! lol

Yeah, I think k would of had words and paid him out a bit. Sized him up a bit firstly but. Ha. Had a few poachers latley on my mates private property. Owner now wants the cops involved every time. He is over it.

It's like everything fishing/prospecting/coin detecting ... dam even a good swimming hole ...You tell someone that tells someone and the next thing you know everyone's there....taking more than their share.....Its a dog eat dog world.
we dont own the creek the ocean or the parks..It would be good if we could still clam a spot as ours and only ours...Even when we are not there. :Y:

Latest posts