Ophir gold, near Orange NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just thought id share the nuggets in question big one is exactly half an ounce from memory the long one was 6.1 and now I cant remember what the total was. but all ophir gold
1409641802_img_20140805_192819_1024x768.jpg

gday you fellas just wondering whats it like detecting around there and if theres still a bit around thinking of holidaying there in a couple months any info or even a bit appreciated swinging gp3000 thanks

gday fellas just wondering whats it like highbanking there compared to eldorado or beechworth in vic or is it worth a go any info appreciated thanks

Keen to spend a weekend alongside with my highbanker if you want to have a go?! Normally go a little further on but dropped in on my way home last trip and found it to be very pretty country....

Better late than never.

I've worked further west south of Nygan and Cobar. There are plenty of old timers workings out there so worth a shot.
A good rule of thumb is if there are or were commercial gold mines and old timers workings in the area there is gold.

phil said:
gday you fellas just wondering whats it like detecting around there and if theres still a bit around thinking of holidaying there in a couple months any info or even a bit appreciated swinging gp3000 thanks

I've never found Gold there but people sure do, heard the camping is good there also.

I am heading up to Ophir on Monday week for 3 days with the dog, 5000 and the sluice.
I have never been here before just a few questions if anyone can help.......
1. I have read diff reviews, some say a ranger comes rd to collect fees others say you need to pop into orange. Should I pop into Orange on the way through?
2. Do you have to stay in the designated camping area or can you camp through the bush or up surface hill?
Thanks for any help. don't want to do the wrong thing while up there.
PS if anyone is up that way at that time would love to catch up.

Not sure if the ranger comes around often in the non peak times. there was a honesty box on the wall at the toilets where you would put the camping fees not dye if it's still there tho (was there last time i went past) i know the caretakers are there often cleaning the amenities (weekends) camping must be allowed anywhere all the time i see people camped all over.hope this helps

Hi all
Just looking at taking my dad for a scratch and detecting around Ophir in a couple of weeks.
Never been there if someone could point us in a half decent spot with camping or close to camping that would be great.. preferred near the creek or river..
Any maps or mud maps would be appreciated..
Thanks
Dave :pickshovel: :goldpan: :beer:

There is a great little campground at the river crossing at Ophir. 20 sites, $5 per night booked at the Orange visitor information centre. Toilets and I believe non potable water available.
Alluvial gold in the river and surrounds and still nuggets to be had as well.
Good luck!

Have a read of this thread
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26870

Thanks for that..
Would I be better off at sunny corner or Ophir in your opinion..??
And if sunny corner much camping near water..??
Cheers
Dave :goldpan: :pickshovel:

G'day there Dave,

What I can tell you from experience is, to find gold at Ophir you will need a machine like the SDC2300 or better, there is a large amount of trash around like small pieces of tin and the gold is quite small.

If you work around the edges of mullock heaps you may find some small nuggets.

With your sluice you can drive down to Greers Point and shovel some dirt on the western side of Lewis Ponds Creek, I have marked it on the map.

1544243398_greers_point_ophir.jpg

Pangaea Prospector said:
G'day there Dave,

What I can tell you from experience is, to find gold at Ophir you will need a machine like the SDC2300 or better, there is a large amount of trash around like small pieces of tin and the gold is quite small.

If you work around the edges of mullock heaps you may find some small nuggets.

With your sluice you can drive down to Greers Point and shovel some dirt on the western side of Lewis Ponds Creek, I have marked it on the map.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14084/1544243398_greers_point_ophir.jpg
is nothing left to the imagination 8.( 8.( 8.(

Latest posts