"How to..." for the TDI, SL & SPP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roscoe said:
Mbasko, Funny thing is that basalt gives a nice sweet signal on a PI machine, but, the same piece will give a Boo sound on my VLF machine which makes it a dead give away as a negetive hot rock and not a good target. I could if you like set my SPP with GB off set and in low conductor mode as Reg. mentioned and test if i can eliminate the basalt signal and still pick up small gold. I do live on 10 acres of rich red basalt soil and its full of iron pisolite and small chunks of basalt rocks in places. I don't have gold on my property, so will have to plant a piece to test. :)
That'd be good if you want to test it out?
My GMT was the same - it was a real boing sound & no mistake it was basalt. The only problem was the GMT would signal on nearly every single bit of basalt even in areas that the PI's tend to balance all but the worst or highest iron content bits - in these spots I can deal with the odd "false gold" signal with a PI.
There are 2 places that I have been to that even the PI's just signal on the basalt on every swing - they're obviously very high iron content areas - I can't deal with these areas or yet anyway :lol: There a few other areas around here the same that other members have mentioned that I haven't been to so it's a reasonably well known or encountered issue.

Digger Bob mentions a couple of things. First, he mentions the bounce back which can happen in really bad ground. Well, this happens only in a couple of areas and his back yard is one of those areas. Also, I modified a SPP and sent it to him at the request of Jimmy Sierra. Digger was amazed on how much smoother the detector ground balanced plus the "bounce back" was gone. This was done after this video was made.

Digger was so impressed that even he jumped on the bandwagon to add the mods to the SL and SPP. His enthusiasm helped convince the new White's management to actually try the mods. Once they did, they were convinced the mods were the way to go.

Digger also uses the delay to eliminate basalt. Well, the SPP has no delay capability and that is why I mentioned using the GB instead. Both will work fine.

I suspect that people who have used PI's with auto ground balance that have noticed the gold signals can be lost by using the auto GB. Well, the SPP doesn't have the auto GB and won't adjust out gold.

Reg

Reg said:
Digger Bob mentions a couple of things. First, he mentions the bounce back which can happen in really bad ground. Well, this happens only in a couple of areas and his back yard is one of those areas. Also, I modified a SPP and sent it to him at the request of Jimmy Sierra. Digger was amazed on how much smoother the detector ground balanced plus the "bounce back" was gone. This was done after this video was made.

Digger was so impressed that even he jumped on the bandwagon to add the mods to the SL and SPP. His enthusiasm helped convince the new White's management to actually try the mods. Once they did, they were convinced the mods were the way to go.

Digger also uses the delay to eliminate basalt. Well, the SPP has no delay capability and that is why I mentioned using the GB instead. Both will work fine.

I suspect that people who have used PI's with auto ground balance that have noticed the gold signals can be lost by using the auto GB. Well, the SPP doesn't have the auto GB and won't adjust out gold.

Reg

I do like Auto tracking machines but I wish some of my machines had manual GB, In this situation I can really appreciate the ALL manual Controls, Too many false signals takes your mind off the job in hand and at leased this way A Person can get around such problems,

john

No problems will test on weekend and see how it goes. I have done it to dish out certain coins on the SPP using the GB control, so i am confident it will do it with the basalt pieces. But, i want to see it done on small gold though, so i will get back to you.

Do you still have the GMT, mbasko?

The SPP does have a slight auto tracking in a way. I don't know what it is, but the Auto tune system on these units acts like Auto tracking. The auto tune seems to soak up minor ground balance fluctuations and smooths out the machine. The Auto tune on these machines acts differently to other PI's i have operated, this is most evident the way the SPP runs with no GB on the beach. Maybe Reg. can give me a better understanding of whats going on in the electronics of the SPP and TDI that allows them to do this so well.

Roscoe said:
Mbasko, Funny thing is that basalt gives a nice sweet signal on a PI machine, but, the same piece will give a Boo sound on my VLF machine which makes it a dead give away as a negetive hot rock and not a good target. I could if you like set my SPP with GB off set and in low conductor mode as Reg. mentioned and test if i can eliminate the basalt signal and still pick up small gold. I do live on 10 acres of rich red basalt soil and its full of iron pisolite and small chunks of basalt rocks in places. I don't have gold on my property, so will have to plant a piece to test. :)

Although I haven't tried it on the basalt and gold myself, it should work. I do similar ground balancing out unwanted signals when coin shooting. I normally use X Terra 705 for parks detecting, but now and then I will come across a patch littered with hundreds of beer bottle tops. The VLF is total useless in that situation. So I bring SPP along, ground balance beer tops out and cherry pick goldies. Mind you it will still sound on large metal objects, but that is not much of the problem. If GB very carefully it will still detect 50c and 20c , on reduced depth. I prefer to use small DD coil for this. My SPP is one of the first ones that has been modified by me when testing hiccup mods. I also added conductivity switch to it.
I think that that by carefully adjusting the GB and the Gain you can eliminate almost any single undesirable signal and still hear signal from the metal you are looking for. Although it may be at reduced depth.
Karl

Roscoe said:
No problems will test on weekend and see how it goes. I have done it to dish out certain coins on the SPP using the GB control, so i am confident it will do it with the basalt pieces. But, i want to see it done on small gold though, so i will get back to you.

Do you still have the GMT, mbasko?
Cheers - no GMT now. Wasn't getting much use so I sold it. Good machine if you can pick them up cheap enough - I wouldn't pay $1300 for a new one though.

Reg said:

Reg

Well Reg all your Good Work has paid off because I think they have fixed the TDI Pro as well, and It is a very serious Machine Now, incredible,

John

Ridge Runner said:
Reg said:
What makes you think they fixed the Pro???

Reg

give me a second Reg and I will send you a PM,

John
Don't keep it under your hat - c'mon out with it! :lol:
I tend to agree with what Reg says above "guessing they haven't done anything to the TDI"
If Whites won't confirm it I reckon that's because they haven't done anything & if they won't deny it then I reckon that's cause they don't mind people thinking that they have :p
From anything I can find or feedback I get the SPP's "hiccup" mod is the only change that's been made but going from what Reg has said Whites seem to have plenty of scope to develop improvements - just need the right people driving it by the sounds of things.
With the Digger Bob vid after watching again, & I'm not debunking it here, I would be a lot more comfortable seeing it done on ground covered with scattered basalt/hot rocks in situ & maybe even bury the gold in the mineralised ground too. I think Roscoe's results will give some real relevance to it on real "active" ground.

Well I asked Whites if they had been Hot Rodding their machines, And Their reply was "There are Always On going Improvements Going On"

Which does not confirm or deny any thing, But after using them for so long I am seeing things that I have not come across before,

I know they have Tweaked the GMT because it now has a different software number and a symbol in the lower right hand corner when you turn it on and the Default GB is 50 and not 77 and I phoned Whites in Scotland and they confirmed it, along with Jimmy Sierra's Video where he states that he had them set it to 50, If you look in the GMT manual the pictures show you the GB setting of 77 but they forgot to update the manual.

And The MXT All Pro, Seems to see things almost as small as the GMT down to 0.03gm or just under with the standard 10" D2 coil and at greater distances than before,

And the new TDI Pro's will run indoors, flat out In the City and as Smooth as the TDI SL and it is VERY powerful,

hope this helps, john

Did this collation ever come to pass? It's a shame Sunriseboy was only a guest on the site and probably can't be contacted. I think it would be great to have all of Reg's various info compiled and maybe stickied on this subforum.

If somebody has a copy, I'd be happy to put any finishing touches on it. I have experience with writing and editing.

Caconym said:
Did this collation ever come to pass? It's a shame Sunriseboy was only a guest on the site and probably can't be contacted. I think it would be great to have all of Reg's various info compiled and maybe stickied on this subforum.

If somebody has a copy, I'd be happy to put any finishing touches on it. I have experience with writing and editing.

Why not copy and paste it and email it to your self, then you have it all in the one place ?.

Latest posts