Just bought my first detector; a White's SPP!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all. Well, Last summer I tried panning for gold, did a dozen trips or so, and thoroughly got bitten by the gold bug. Now I've decided I want to try detecting. I did my research, and then more research, and asked questions. I found it interesting that on this site whenever I mentioned an interest in White's detectors I was met with crickets, but people couldn't say enough about Minelab units. Are they just not well known, or is there some controversy I'm not aware of? I was initially focussed on getting a good used Minelab Gold Monster, but something about the White's machines just kept drawing me back to them, and in the end I realised that if I bought a Minelab I'd be forever wondering if I should have gone with White's. Also, PI for a first detector seems like a good choice, right?

So I took my $700 budget and promptly ignored it. I purchased an immaculate looking SPP from the classifieds section here and it's currently in the loving hands of the postal service. I also ordered a Nugget Finder Sadie coil from an Aussie fleabay seller to go with it.

I intend to either mod the AA battery tray to fit 4x 3500mah 18650's @ 16v, or make a belt pack with 8x 18650's for 7000mah @ 16v. My theory is that the longer run time of the 8 batteries would mean a much slower drop in power, even if I don't intend to detect for 14 hours straight. I may do other mods, like adding the missing conductivity switch, but I think this is enough to be getting on with for now.

But that will have to wait for my next pay cycle, since this has been a very hard hit on my wallet.

I'll be almost exclusively using it to look for nuggets. In early January I'm driving home from Melbourne to Canberra and figure I'll take a detour and camp overnight somewhere in the Golden Triangle and have a good swing.

But mostly I'll be using it in some of the goldfields within driving distance of Canberra... which leads me to a question:

Is there any kind soul within a couple of hours of Canberra who has experience with White's PI machines and would be willing to spend an afternoon showing me the ropes? I'd be happy to line your palm with a six-pack.

Oh, one more thing; I was tossing up between the Sadie coil and a Miner John 5x9, and ended up on Miner John's website. I don't know if this is common knowledge on here, but his site has a note up saying he lost everything in the recent California "Camp" bushfire. Home, vehicles, pets, and his business with all its stock. It's really sad, and made me really feel for him. The note says he plans to be up and running again as soon as he can, but may never offer some models again. So if you've had your eye on one that is in stock somewhere, I'd probably grab it while you can.

If you've read this far, here's your reward.

Hard Luck said:
Found enough to pay it off and upgrade.

*glances at Hard Luck's location to see where they're finding the colour*

I knew Werribee sounded familiar. The friends I'm visiting in January used to live in Altona. They're in the city now. Any chance you could point me at a broad location in Victoria so I can start narrowing down where I'd like to go when I'm down there? I don't mind driving a couple hours out of my way to find somewhere that hasn't been flogged to death. I'm not asking for your secret spot, mind.

Edit: What coils did you use on the SPP?

Theres nothing wrong with Whites Detectors, Their MXT and GM/GMT machines are the best Gold Getting VLF's on the market bar non, But the Ground in AUS calls for a different kind of Tech in some of the worse places which is why ML gets the nod, And the fact it is the home team so it is easier to get help when you need it, It's the same with Engel and Toyota because help is never more than a few miles away. You have a good machine there which is perfect to get you into the hobby and as your skills go up so will your needs. The TDI's have been a good stepping stone for many Great prospectors here on PA,

Good luck and have fun. :Y:

Measurements of a 3500 mAh 18650 protected cell indicates the possibility of fitting 4 in a modified AA battery tray is viable but with a somewhat tight fit.

nesral said:
Measurements of a 3500 mAh 18650 protected cell indicates the possibility of fitting 4 in a modified AA battery tray is viable but with a somewhat tight fit.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do an 8x 18650 4s2p pack and belt mount it; heaps of juice and no weight on the arm.

I buy my batteries from the ebay seller Supersports600 because he's well known for only selling genuine, quality batteries. I've never had an issue with one I got from him.

The SPP and Sadie coil are both at the post office waiting for me to pick them up! The excitement is palpable.

Hello !
Looking to buy White's Sierra Pulse Pro (White's SPP ) , if anyone wants to sell, please email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts